discussion forums in different languages? Watch

sa55afras
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie and was wondering if there was anything on here similar to the General Discussion forum, but dedicated to discussions in other languages? Thought that kind of thing would be good practice

Thanks!
KayleeLand
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unfortunately no.

Try the language society threads - you can talk about pretty much any topic in the language... Only downside is that they are really that popular.

I'm going to create a thread about this possibility in GD.
TheMeister
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
¿Qué?
KayleeLand
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
On second thoughts.... I think you could use the International Lounge that way. Or any of these foreign language forums.
Gooner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As stated by KayleeLand in post 2, you could technically speak in a foreign language in this sub-forum, should you create a thread for it (refer to the French and German Learners' Societies for example), but I would imagine that could cause problems for moderation should the languages not be spoken by any of the Moderation Team...
Redpanda91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We always speak Italian in the Italian society unless we can't be bothered or there's someone who's just started learning or something! Try joining a society
NatR123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That would be really helpful....i'm taking French A Level and kinda need some help
Gooner
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by NatR123)
That would be really helpful....i'm taking French A Level and kinda need some help
Voilà.
Paul PTS
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I just don't know they didn't let me in Russian society.Why not!?Don't know.Maybe they dislike the colour of my fur.Maybe something else.I mean I'm really Russian and really from Russia.What they are talking about there I'm not interested.I'll better speak English with you.
NatR123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gooner)
Voilà.
aha, merci
sa55afras
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone

I still think an entire forum for this would be awesome, but I'll definitely look into joining some societies; that sounds good too.

(Original post by KayleeLand)
I'm going to create a thread about this possibility in GD.
The Int'l Lounge seems a bit focused on students studying abroad. :/ Would creating a thread in GD create a possibility that something like this might actually be put into place? Maybe it's worth a try...
KayleeLand
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sa55afras)
Thanks everyone

I still think an entire forum for this would be awesome, but I'll definitely look into joining some societies; that sounds good too.

The Int'l Lounge seems a bit focused on students studying abroad. :/ Would creating a thread in GD create a possibility that something like this might actually be put into place? Maybe it's worth a try...

The thing is there are limited places where you can post in a foreign language without having to translate. You can't post in GD without providing a translation.
sa55afras
Rep:
?
The thing is there are limited places where you can post in a foreign language without having to translate. You can't post in GD without providing a translation.
Oh, right...
Can anyone let me know in which places a translation is required? Looks like it might be useful to know...
Thanks...
KayleeLand
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sa55afras)
Oh, right...
Can anyone let me know in which places a translation is required? Looks like it might be useful to know...
Thanks...
It's easier to say where it is allowed:

1) the international lounge

2) the foreign languages forum in study help

3) the foreign languages forum in uni courses bit

You should be able to find it in the rules section area - but I think those are the only places. If you break the rule you generally get a 2 or 3 points warning. Well known words, such as bonjour, hola, gracias etc... are generally accepted everywhere - unless you get an arsey mod looking at it!
sa55afras
Rep:
?
It's easier to say where it is allowed:

1) the international lounge

2) the foreign languages forum in study help

3) the foreign languages forum in uni courses bit

You should be able to find it in the rules section area - but I think those are the only places. If you break the rule you generally get a 2 or 3 points warning. Well known words, such as bonjour, hola, gracias etc... are generally accepted everywhere - unless you get an arsey mod looking at it!
Thanks Kaylee!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (146)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.53%
No - I don't want to (28)
7.37%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (185)
48.68%

Watched Threads