Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    just found this online givin world rankins o unis:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/rank-2003.mht

just wonderin if ne1 disagreed - i think oxford and cambridge are a bit low considerin there history and prestige.

plus for instance imperial is rated 17th in world and 3rd in europe - but do u think employers outside of england will have even heard of it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by armatillian)
    just found this online givin world rankins o unis:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/rank-2003.mht

just wonderin if ne1 disagreed - i think oxford and cambridge are a bit low considerin there history and prestige.

plus for instance imperial is rated 17th in world and 3rd in europe - but do u think employers outside of england will have even heard of it?!
    it is obviously biased to American Unis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    it is obviously biased to American Unis
    Yep definitely american

ReputationRep:
    Hmm....
    Strange rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Hmm....
    Strange rankings.
    The thing is that Edinburgh although good is in the table where some other unis, which are, speaking in current terms, perceived as better than Edinburgh are not in the rankings

ReputationRep:
    Its like most league tables you see around the place. Take 'em with a pinch of salt. If you uni is around the top then its a very good one. I think actual ranking don't really matter.

I saw a similar table like this a few months ago which pitched UK unis much lower than this one (40s/50s).

ReputationRep:
    Obviously its biased, where is Thames Valley university? And the prestigous Bangor Univsersity?

ReputationRep:
    and what about Hull - one of the three great British unis?

(Original post by pkonline)
    and what about Hull - one of the three great British unis?
    Just lookat how ludicrous a sugestion it is. Its irrelevant where they rank Oxbridge. OR the fact that Harvard is set as a bench mark. (which is silly, because at Harvard they have academia and sports existing seperately, whereas UK unis they exist together), OR even the basis of nobel prizes (irony being that so many nobel prize winners are poached by american unis offering big money. If you based it on where they were originally educated then there would be less nucleation of nobel winners)
    Fact is this table says that of the top 18 universities, 15 are american and 3 are british. This say nothing of the rest of the world (namely Japan, Europe, Australia...).
    Then theres the fact Caltech and MIT are rated so highly. MIT is bogshite apparently. They offer a sandwich year there for cam students, and all my supervisors advised against because
    a) its lame
    b) It adds nothing to your CV. Its like going from Newcastle to Lincoln
    J

ReputationRep:
    Looks like a crock of **** to be honest. I mean UC-San Francisco is ranked higher than Yale? Please believe.

(Original post by foolfarian)
    MIT is bogshite apparently. They offer a sandwich year there for cam students, and all my supervisors advised against because
    a) its lame
    J
    You re kidding right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Obviously its biased, where is Thames Valley university? And the prestigous Bangor Univsersity?
    Bangor = 496

(Original post by sock)
    Bangor = 496
    I thought it was the best uni in Wales, or second to Cardiff, at least. (based on the Guardian 2003 tables)

ReputationRep:
    I had a look at this website and the rankings have been constructed by a university in Shanghai.
    I have also had a look at a forum discussion of under/post grads on the same subject and it was mentioned that USA unis cannot be beaten for Science and Engineering because of the colossal sums of money in research funding etc.
    In this country we are in dire straits over funding (as are most European unis apparently) so is the answer putting more money into universities generally?

ReputationRep:
    Link is down

ReputationRep:
    This isn't a very good representation as Keele is above LSE!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    This isn't a very good representation as Keele is above LSE!!!
    How come you can access the site?
    http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/rank-2003.mht seems to be down to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    How come you can access the site?
    http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/rank-2003.mht seems to be down to me.
    Does it come up as a blank page? Mine did and said it was done in the bottom of the window, so I waited for a bit and it came up.

ReputationRep:
    I took 30 sec before I could view it, but it works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Just lookat how ludicrous a sugestion it is. Its irrelevant where they rank Oxbridge. OR the fact that Harvard is set as a bench mark. (which is silly, because at Harvard they have academia and sports existing seperately, whereas UK unis they exist together), OR even the basis of nobel prizes (irony being that so many nobel prize winners are poached by american unis offering big money. If you based it on where they were originally educated then there would be less nucleation of nobel winners)
    Fact is this table says that of the top 18 universities, 15 are american and 3 are british. This say nothing of the rest of the world (namely Japan, Europe, Australia...).
    Then theres the fact Caltech and MIT are rated so highly. MIT is bogshite apparently. They offer a sandwich year there for cam students, and all my supervisors advised against because
    a) its lame
    J

Er... MIT is very highly regarded. I think you are wrong on this.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.