Watch
This discussion is closed.
W.A.S Hewins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
i don't know why u guys think about that rankings so much ita all bull.
451-500 London Sch Econonomics
Rank Institution*
Country [email protected]
Nobel Score: 0.0
HiCi Score: 10.3
N&S Score :0.0
SCI :21.3
Score Per Faculty 7.9

Thats Wrong LSE has won 9 Nobels just in Economics...How could their Nobel score be 0.0 ???
I discussed this with the Shanghai Prof.

Economics Nobels have only been awarded since 1969, so LSE has accumulated about a quarter of them (Chicago does better, but that's it I think)-I'm not actually sure that the prof knew about this, incidentally. The problem is the prof only counts where you were based at the time of the award. For instance Hayek did his key work in the 20 years he was at LSE. By the time the Nobel was given to him, decades later, he'd spent many years at Chicago.

Another example: Tony Leggatt, the physicist, went back to Sussex recently and talked about how his Nobel awarded last year was mainly based on his Sussex work in the 80s. Yet this will mean nothing to the Shanghai man, who will only note where Leggatt was based last year-somewhere in Illinois or Indiana..it's not exactly famous but it will pay him much more than a British university could..
W.A.S Hewins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
i don't know why u guys think about that rankings so much ita all bull.
451-500 London Sch Econonomics
Rank Institution*
Country [email protected]
Nobel Score: 0.0
HiCi Score: 10.3
N&S Score :0.0
SCI :21.3
Score Per Faculty 7.9

Thats Wrong LSE has won 9 Nobels just in Economics...How could their Nobel score be 0.0 ???
I also suspect the methodology is crudely positivistic: no account is taken of faculty size or narrowness of range, so that even without all the other flaws, the table is hopelessly slanted towards large, multi faculty institutions...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (527)
51.31%
No (500)
48.69%

Watched Threads