The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
BenjiDeane
Nothing; I thought your post was funny and added the 'Pics or GTFO' thing :smile:

Oh haha, sorry, I thought you were correcting me! Failing at revision makes me very on-edge. :o:
Reply 41
e-m-i-l-y
Nobody really cares, but if you worry so much about what people think, keep the "wee man" under lock and key or, if that fails, stop telling people when you fu*ck some chick.

Seriously.. what everyones already said applies.

Why did I think you'd be posting here Emily, lol.

Maybe go for a long term girlfriend? show them all that you can do commitment?
Reply 42
Hylean
Well, for a start, names are nouns, but we shall let that slide in view of the gross grammatical error which led to your post.

I draw your attention to the punctuation mark highlighted. As you may well know, after such punctuation marks, the following word takes a capital letter. Thus, your remark on "Virgin" being a name is misinformed because you failed to pay attention to one of the simplest grammar rules.

Oh, and "virgin" is not a name. The name from "virgin" is "Virginia".

I didn't say names weren't nouns. I was simply making the distinction between the two nouns by showing that one was a name.

"after such punctuation marks, the following word takes a capital letter"

You mean, after full stops? You don't put capital letter after commas...

Oh, and it's not a definitive rule: if you're beginning a sentence by using a quote where the beginning of the quote doesn't use a capital letter, then you shouldn't use a capital letter. That's a misquotation. You, therefore, used it as a name.

I usually wouldn't have been so pedantic as to correct somebody's grammatical knowledge, but you were trying to be smart so I had to shoot you down.

Now it seems you're digging an even deeper hole for yourself, trying to sound clever and failing. Please stop -- it's cringeworthy.
Ever watched two and a half men?

Ok, now you can either be Charlie or Alan.

Your choice. :cool:
Reply 44
Tetrahydro
I didn't say names weren't nouns. I was simply making the distinction between the two nouns by showing that one was a name.

"after such punctuation marks, the following word takes a capital letter"

You mean, after full stops? You don't put capital letter after commas...

Oh, and it's not a definitive rule: if you're beginning a sentence by using a quote where the beginning of the quote doesn't use a capital letter, then you shouldn't use a capital letter. That's a misquotation.

I usually wouldn't have been so pedantic as to correct somebody's grammatical knowledge, but you were trying to be smart so I had to shoot you down.

Now it seems you're digging an even deeper hole for yourself, trying to sound clever and failing. Please stop, it's cringeworthy.

Man, you really know **** all. For a start I said "such punctuation marks", where "such" implies the one highlighted, ie. full-stops. Learn to read and understand, please. First you fail to see a full-stop and try to be smart based on your misperception, then you make a point, which, yet again, fails to understand simple English. You say I'm cringeworthy?

It actually is a definitive rule. When a new sentence is started, a capital letter is always required. Your comment on quotation highlights your lack of grammatical knowledge. When a quote does not fit into a sentence grammatically, one is allowed to alter the quote so that it will work.

Example:

The quote is: "the author fails to understand human complexities".

According to your rules, it would stand as it is when placed at the start of the sentence. However, this would be wrong and get you marked down if in an academic essay. The correct way to do it is:

Either: "[The] author fails to understand human complexities".

Or: "[T]he author fails to understand human complexities".

Depends on your style which you choose.

As this is an informal website, where I don't choose to write in a fully academic style, I saw no point in writing "[V]irgin".
Treben
Why did I think you'd be posting here Emily, lol.

Maybe go for a long term girlfriend? show them all that you can do commitment?

Because i'm an addict... Don't judge me!!
Reply 46
Hylean
Man, you really know **** all. For a start I said "such punctuation marks", where "such" implies the one highlighted, ie. full-stops. Learn to read and understand, please. First you fail to see a full-stop and try to be smart based on your misperception, then you make a point, which, yet again, fails to understand simple English. You say I'm cringeworthy?

It actually is a definitive rule. When a new sentence is started, a capital letter is always required. Your comment on quotation highlights your lack of grammatical knowledge. When a quote does not fit into a sentence grammatically, one is allowed to alter the quote so that it will work.

Example:

The quote is: "the author fails to understand human complexities".

According to your rules, it would stand as it is when placed at the start of the sentence. However, this would be wrong and get you marked down if in an academic essay. The correct way to do it is:

Either: "[The] author fails to understand human complexities".

Or: "[T]he author fails to understand human complexities".

Depends on your style which you choose.

I'm cringeworthy? You're the one who corrected somebody's quite obvious typo. And then you nit-pick at everything else, trying to sound smart. I'm just trying to get you down from that dangerously high horse.

I maintain, what I said was correct. But if you are right, why didn't you adjust your sentence so that you didn't use the quote incorrectly? Hmm, because that's a chime of knowledge you just picked up off Google in the last few minutes... because you're so desperate to be right.

"As this is an informal website, where I don't choose to write in a fully academic style, I saw no point in writing "[V]irgin"."

Well, if it's so informal, maybe you could just let other people's typos slide?
Reply 47
Why the ef are you complaining?
Reply 48
Tetrahydro
I'm cringeworthy? You're the one who corrected somebody's quite obvious typo. And then you nit-pick at everything else, trying to sound smart. I'm just trying to get you down from that dangerously high horse.

I maintain, what I said was correct. But if you are right, why didn't you adjust your sentence so that you didn't use the quote incorrectly? Hmm, because that's a chime of knowledge you just picked up off Google in the last few minutes... because you're so desperate to be right.

"As this is an informal website, where I don't choose to write in a fully academic style, I saw no point in writing "[V]irgin"."

Well, if it's so informal, maybe you could just let other people's typos slide?

Haha, not really. I could show you my coursework essays from 2005 if you really want, but I suppose you'll argue I edited them before sending them to you. Do you really think I got to final year at university without being taught how to quote properly? Especially in a subject where I often find myself having to quote previous works? Really now?

Dude, lay off. You're making yourself look as bad as you claim I'm making myself look. I corrected a grammar mistake, you chose to take it further. Comparing my choice to disregard the odd formal rule and my correction of his blatant mistake isn't possible. Call it a day, mate, and leave it be.
Reply 49
theres nothing wrong with being a male slut
Reply 50
Hylean
Haha, not really. I could show you my coursework essays from 2005 if you really want, but I suppose you'll argue I edited them before sending them to you. Do you really think I got to final year at university without being taught how to quote properly? Especially in a subject where I often find myself having to quote previous works? Really now?

Dude, lay off. You're making yourself look as bad as you claim I'm making myself look. I corrected a grammar mistake, you chose to take it further. Comparing my choice to disregard the odd formal rule and my correction of his blatant mistake isn't possible. Call it a day, mate, and leave it be.

My gripe with you was that you implied "a virgin" wasn't a noun when you were trying to correct somebody's typo. I just pointed out that mistake. You were the one who took it further by giving me a grammar lesson. I'm happy to leave this be now, but you can't make an untrue claim and then ask me to call it a day.

Peace.
Reply 51
Don't use the term 'male slut' for a start, use the positive cool term 'pimp'.. then your problems will alllll go away.
Reply 52
D00
Don't use the term 'male slut' for a start, use the positive cool term 'pimp'.. then your problems will alllll go away.

Lolz :yep:
please give me a couple
I'm very lonely
Get ye some self control and take a trip to the STD clinic...
Shag your way out of it.
Reply 56
Stop being a man-whore, simple as, innit.

butthead7
theres nothing wrong with being a male slut

Unless you're a lass.
Reply 57
lol.... now GTFO
Reply 58
lrH5
I keep having sex with girls, I'm addicted to it.

What should I do?

stop maybe?? Restrain yourself!

Tetrahydro
My gripe with you was that you implied "a virgin" wasn't a noun when you were trying to correct somebody's typo. I just pointed out that mistake. You were the one who took it further by giving me a grammar lesson. I'm happy to leave this be now, but you can't make an untrue claim and then ask me to call it a day.

Peace.

Wow, I thought the whole grammar convo will last forever…
Reply 59
mamma_mia

Wow, I thought the whole grammar convo will last forever…

You are not the only one.

Latest