How do I study for a history exam? Watch

justjoshing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm really fed up of reading text books and other material. I have an AS history exam next week and I'm unsure how to go about revising.

I've tried reading the countless books I have, but it just seems a waste of time as only two questions will come up in the exam, and there is so much reading needed to just get the points you need.

My topics are 'the Unification ofGermany' and 'from Second Reich to Third Reich'

Thankyou
BlueTrain
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm afraid background reading and understanding is crucial for History.
Bellrosk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah basically, make sure you've read and understand everything when you've gone through it, just keep going over it.

THEN - for the last few days of cramming.

(I don't do German history), there should be certain focus areas, which questions will be centred around.

For each focus area, write down the essential facts needed to be used as evidence.
AND a few jog words to help you remember the causes/effects/results/events etc.

Learn all of that off by heart so you have a good base of factual evidence you should hopefully be able to use in the exam.
justjoshing
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I don't have much time to be honest. It looks like I've faled as my exam is next week.
jy9626
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Re-read your past essays + your textbook.
Memorize the dates and facts.
I found history to be one of the very few subjects where the last-minute crammings work perfectly well.
retroprincess
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Write colourful notes with pictures haha it works for me
The Blind Monk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Look at all of the past paper questions for a couple of years. Then start bullet pointing answers to them. That's what I've been doing anyways
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (564)
37.65%
No - but I will (117)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (108)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (709)
47.33%

Watched Threads