going to the gym on saturday (first time) Watch

hellogoodsirs
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
what sort of stuff should I do, and how often should I go? I'm only 5'7 and weight 8.5-9 stone and I just wanna build muscle.

thanks
130ss
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
do aerobics..
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hellogoodsirs)
what sort of stuff should I do, and how often should I go? I'm only 5'7 and weight 8.5-9 stone and I just wanna build muscle.

thanks
Starting Strength, buy it, read it and practice it. Think about getting one of the trainers there, in your first session, teach you how to squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press and clean/row/chinups.

Also sort your diet out, plenty of calories (ie; 500 cals above your maintenance diet), plenty of protein (ie; 1g per lb of bodyweight), etc.
hellogoodsirs
(Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
Starting Strength, buy it, read it and practice it. Think about getting one of the trainers there, in your first session, teach you how to squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press and clean/row/chinups.

Also sort your diet out, plenty of calories (ie; 500 cals above your maintenance diet), plenty of protein (ie; 1g per lb of bodyweight), etc.
ok thanks. btw the queen is looking pretty good with that 'tache
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
the queen is looking pretty good with that 'tache
It happens to everyone when they come of age
-Mitz-
Report 9 years ago
Dont bother wasting money on stupid books or personal trainers... do it yourself if your a real MAN.

First few months.. stick to the machine assisted weights, this will get your muslces used to weight training.

Then after that (after about 2 months) start training with free weights.
YOU WILL notice that this is WAY better than the machine assisted weights. Infact you will never have to use them after you have realised how better free weights are.

You can pretty much nail every muscle in your body using free weights ( bench press, barbell, dumbells).

This doesnt mean buying dumbels for your home use.. dont do this.. as its crap!.

You will do way more work in a proper gym like 'Total Fitness' or 'Fitness First'.
Make sure you check the gym out first. make sure there is a wide range of free weights. The Village Hotel is also crap.

Spend about 6 months in total getting your body into weight lifting (just do general work outs etc- not to intense).. i know this will take time... but trust me.. you dont wana injure yourself in the long term when your 60 years old for example. Take it slow.

After the 6 months.. read up on the internet on how to target certain muscles.. this will really boost your work outs.. this will be the peak of your workouts.. try to properly exhaust your muslces in the gym.

Hope this helps as advice.. its from experience .
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by -Mitz-)
Dont bother wasting money on stupid books or personal trainers... do it yourself if your a real MAN.
Wrong. If you want to achieve any meaningful results and avoid injury it pays to do some research FIRST before you start throwing yourself into a free weights or even machine routine. There are a lot of books out there that are far better than the majority of the advice you're likely to find on the internet (eg; bodybuilding.com), or in muscle mags (eg; menshealth/fitness, flex, etc), Starting Strength, Infinite Intensity, New Rules of Lifting, etc are some of them.

First few months.. stick to the machine assisted weights, this will get your muslces used to weight training.

YOU WILL notice that this is WAY better than the machine assisted weights. Infact you will never have to use them after you have realised how better free weights are.
Absolute arse gravy.

Why waste all that time pissing about with free weights and then having to re learn the necessary motor skills to perform heavy compound exercises properly at a later date?

OP, start using free weights from the start. At the start take things very easy using low weights, perhaps even using a completely unloaded bar, to learn correct technique and get your body used to resistance training.
yoshifumu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

You can pretty much nail every muscle in your body using free weights ( bench press, barbell, dumbells).

This doesnt mean buying dumbels for your home use.. dont do this.. as its crap!.

You will do way more work in a proper gym like 'Total Fitness' or 'Fitness First'.
Make sure you check the gym out first. make sure there is a wide range of free weights. The Village Hotel is also crap.

Spend about 6 months in total getting your body into weight lifting (just do general work outs etc- not to intense).. i know this will take time... but trust me.. you dont wana injure yourself in the long term when your 60 years old for example. Take it slow.

After the 6 months.. read up on the internet on how to target certain muscles.. this will really boost your work outs.. this will be the peak of your workouts.. try to properly exhaust your muslces in the gym.

Hope this helps as advice.. its from experience .

the majority of your post was utter bullsh*t
yoshifumu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If being illiterate makes you a man, ok. in the real world, no.

Why? if anything machine weights will damage your ability to use free weights because when you expect to be able to do 70 on a bench press, because you can do it on machine you'll fail and probably rape your shoulder. All because machines completely neglect your synergists and supporting cast of muscles.

Why?

There are plenty of better gyms out there, like the hardcore PL gyms and all the other ones.

Granted if you over do it at first you ay injure yourself. but 6 months is a LOT longer than it needs to be. people can throw themselves into a hypertrophy regime a little bit below their maximums, work up to them, and then push past their maximums for 6 weeks, another 6 weeks of strength taining afterwards, and then they'll be all right for plyo's and power lifting (taken from a 1st XV training regime written by some phd dude, given to my schools under 16's.

Or you can do all the research straight away, and realise how to do stuff befor eyou start, not wasting the first 6 months, and making gains from the beginning.

OP do what choc said, read up on starting strength, or buy the book, and get going with that. one of the best beginner regimes around, and it'll fill you in on everything, techniques reasonings all that stuff, as well as what to do when you want to progress to the next level.
hellogoodsirs
Thanks for the answers. I'll try download that book in a sec.

Is there anything I should do at home before I go?
yoshifumu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for the answers. I'll try download that book in a sec.

Is there anything I should do at home before I go?
IS there anything you can do?
Vivisteiner
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I threw myself straight into weight lifting a couple of months ago. No point pansying around with machine weights - go straight for free weights. Just start off doing lighter weights and gradually build up. Simples.
Mr. Fox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, eat oats.
-Mitz-
Report 9 years ago
listen here.. all that was from experience.. and others experience.. naturally the first 6 months WILL BE a waste of time for begginersss... first timers will usually not even touch the bench press unless the know someone in the gym who is a regular and will invite them over.. etc..
So i duno why your taking it as if im stating facts.. !
CyberLink
Report 9 years ago
If you need to get fitness up, do 15 minutes running at the treadmills(is that the name?), on a high steepness if you want some quadricept muscles etc. Do rowing machine for 10 minutes. Others are up to where you want to tone up.
yoshifumu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
listen here china man.. all that was from experience.. and others experience.. naturally the first 6 months WILL BE a waste of time for begginersss... first timers will usually not even touch the bench press unless the know someone in the gym who is a regular and will invite them over.. etc..
So i duno why your taking it as if im stating facts.. !

lol at chinaman and the random racism, i aint even chinese.

first few months of weights are actually the FASTEST for any newbie. Thats because their muscles aren't used to the loads and therefore adapt quickly. the adpations slow down once the muscles get used to steady additions of weights, through better neuro-muscular synchronisations, and also simply from perfecting techniques. then the body starts to stall and you have to reset, detrain, or move on to something new to break it. the process of all 3 of those is to upset the rhythmicity of steady loading, and therefore again shock the muscle back into needing to adapt.

And simply being too scared at the thought of not having someone hold their hand when trying to bench press isn't an excuse not to do it.

Meanwhile, you may be talking from 'experience' but both me and choc recommend starting strength, which was written by an expert, whos programmes are used worldwide, and are some of the most commended around.

Edit: and no, i'm not, i don't agree with what you said previously, and so i don't think they're facts.
TheMinister
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CyberLink)
If you need to get fitness up, do 15 minutes running at the treadmills(is that the name?), on a high steepness if you want some quadricept muscles etc. Do rowing machine for 10 minutes. Others are up to where you want to tone up.
Treadmills = devils curse upon ankles.

Go for a run in the real world, preferably on uneven soft ground. That weird green stuff that grows all over everything is surprisingly good. In fact, it's almost as if your body is somehow designed to run on it....
hellogoodsirs
Should I run? I don't wanna become skinnier than I already am :/
shark67
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've heard its advisable to do some cardio after the workout?? or even before??
yoshifumu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by shark67)
I've heard its advisable to do some cardio after the workout?? or even before??
Thats called a warm up and cool down.

Cardio's all right, it won't make you too thin less your doing long distance, i'd concentrate on free weights.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise