The Student Room Group

Higher Art 2009

This is the only subkect I take which hasn't already got a thread on it so...

How is everyone revising for it?
I've been putting it off and haven't done anything since class. I have other subjects to do first and since its the last exam...

What were your folios like? Anyone have photographs? I can put some up if people want. Has anyone got their folios back yet?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not that worried about the exam. It just requires a lot of ************ which is something I'm pretty talented at! I want an A so so bad but I have no idea what the standard will be like. I'll attatch photos of my folio.

My final looks so much better in real life. Sigh.
Reply 2
cloudbusting
My final looks so much better in real life. Sigh.

:gasp:
Your expressive is absolutely jaw-dropping!
So amazing.
Are you taking advanced higher? You deffo should with talent like that.

Design is my strengh area, thats what I'm doing next year in AH :p: can't wait!

I'll upload as soon as I find my bluetooth adapter. Its on my keys and I can't find them anywhere :s-smilie:
Well I've always been sort of interested in art and in fashion designers too, so I tried to pick people to study who's work I was familiar with already to save myself having to learn something totally new. I studied Vivienne Westwood and Bill Gibb for fashion design and Frida Kahlo and Jack Morrocco for still life. I did have to learn some new stuff though like where they went for their art schools and stuff and you need to know about their work in general which can be hard @__@

What I'm doing is revising all the different headings you can write about - for example in still life I could talk about composition, colour choice, tonal variation, subject matter etc and for fashion design I could have target market, aesthetics, materials and such like. Having those headings readily available in my head helps me to think of things to write about when I answer the part A of each question. For the part B section I just have notes that I'm learning (which is what I did in the prelim, seemed to work pretty well I got 51/60 which I wasn't expecting!) so that I can just rattle them off in the context of the question.

Also if you make sure you have at least 10 solid points in part A then you are kinda gauranteeing yourself a good mark - any arguable points will get you easy marks. Just make something up if you can't think of anything, you never know they might accept it. Part B is the only bit I'm really worried about - I lose the most marks because I don't have the pictures of my designs/paintings in front of me I find it hard to write about them flowingly.

As far as folios are concerned, expressive is my strong point, my designs suck lol. I made a corset and it didn't even fit haha! My expressive was okay I just took ages to do everything - I was pretty happy with my final though. Apparently if you ordered for your folio to be sent back you get it around november.

I'm doing AH next year - no exam yay!
Reply 4

I'm doing art and haven't started revising yet! Its my last exam so I'm taking the weekend off:smile: allim gonna do is memorise the essays I learned for the prelim and I can word them to fit the question! I think it'll be fine.

As for folio, I have no idea how I'll get on! I think my expressive is stronger but they might think otherwise!

I'm really hoping for an A cause its put me through a lot of stress this year and I want it to be worth it! I think I'll be gutted if I don't..just cause I worked really hard.
xo-Heva
:gasp:
Your expressive is absolutely jaw-dropping!
So amazing.
Are you taking advanced higher? You deffo should with talent like that.

Design is my strengh area, thats what I'm doing next year in AH :p: can't wait!

Thanks :smile: I kinda sorta hate design. Well I'd rather have done a graphic design but my teachers wanted everyone to do 3-D. And my teacher dropped my final.. it snapped in half at least twice! :eek:
I'm definitely doing AH, I'm going to ECA's summer school this year for life drawing and I do college classes.
Are you doing just design and a dissertation next year or majoring in design but minoring in expressive? I wanna do the dissertation but I'm not sure what you have to write about!
Reply 6
You won't get your folio back until October/Novermber. I didn't get mine last year, was so pissed off as it was requested and they only sent about 20 from about 60 people and they requested more. I only took photos of my expressive and some of it wasn't even complete! And no design photos - although i grew to dislike it more and more :biggrin:

I did start AH Art last year, but dropped it come August as it was obviously going to take so much of my time which I didn't have. I started with the 80% design unit and my theme was theatrical costume based on confectionery. I only managed about 4drawings in 4weeks lol!

If you do the dissertation you usually continue it throughout the year along with your practical and its just influences you get from other artists and that. You look at their work and comment I think. Never really started it so never know...

To revise for the H Written exam I just memorised 4 artists, 2 from each section and 2 paintings/designs from each. I eventually got a B. Never asked what mark I got but I think my practical would've put the grade down.
Reply 7
cloudbusting
Thanks :smile: I kinda sorta hate design. Well I'd rather have done a graphic design but my teachers wanted everyone to do 3-D. And my teacher dropped my final.. it snapped in half at least twice! :eek:
I'm definitely doing AH, I'm going to ECA's summer school this year for life drawing and I do college classes.
Are you doing just design and a dissertation next year or majoring in design but minoring in expressive? I wanna do the dissertation but I'm not sure what you have to write about!

Design and dissertation.
I take quite a lot of time because I proper fuss about my work I'd never get finished if I did the smaller expressive folio! Haha.
Wow, that sounds like good fun! I'd love to go to a summer school. I'm only taking it because I enjoy it, I don't actually need it :p:
Reply 8
Good luck everyone with the art exam - gemma1234 you better get that extra 1 mark this time :p:

I got an A last year for higher (95%) and have been predicted an A so far this year for AH - if all goes well ! Thankfully i don't have an exam to do :biggrin: I actually enjoy the art history element!

Anyone who is thinking of doing AH make sure you have the time for it - 10-18 sheets of A1 plus a 2500-3000 word essay for me - it is very rewarding and your ability improves so much over the year!

Best advice would be start earlier, get a lot of your investigation done over summer, choose who you want to relate your work too and pick a theme which has a wide enough area to cover and you wont get bored easily at!

My expressive is based on my trip to Zambia so has a lot of personnal elements brought in and have adapted techniques from Joan Eardly and Moke the painter :smile:
Reply 9
Ooh, who is everybody studying for their at & design studies bit?
Our teacher hasn't actually really taught us anything, so i've been studying Dali and picasso for the art sections, under the genre of (probably) fantasy and imagination. Does this sound okayto you guys? I imagine you collectively have a better art department than us :tongue:
How is the Higher Art marked? how many marks can u get for each ur expressive and design? response appreciated
bledsoebluvd
How is the Higher Art marked? how many marks can u get for each ur expressive and design? response appreciated

Expressive Folio;

Investigation sheet: 20 marks
Development sheet: 20 marks
Outcome sheet: 40 marks

Total: 80 marks

Design Folio;

Investigation/Research sheet: 24 marks
Development sheet: 24 marks
Solution sheet: 24 marks
Evaluation sheet: 8 marks

Total: 80 marks

Written Paper: 60 marks

Total marks: 220

Last year's cut offs;

A:154
B:132
C:110
D:99
Reply 12
I need some advice.

For the written exam question B, how many pieces of art/designs should i revisefor each artist/designer?

In the prelim I only did one piece per person and still got a B but i feel it may be better to learn more!

Any advice?
Reply 13
hey

Can anyone give me tips on how to answer part (a) of the questions? Still life and jewellery design, is what im doing.
Cant wait till this exams over with!
Reply 14
g00ners
I need some advice.

For the written exam question B, how many pieces of art/designs should i revisefor each artist/designer?

In the prelim I only did one piece per person and still got a B but i feel it may be better to learn more!

Any advice?

Revise informatio on 2 artists for each area you do
eg. Expressive and Jewellery Design = 4 artists.

Revise 2 pieces of work by each artist.
4 artists x 2 pieces = 8 pieces of work.

I hope I explained that clearly, it was quite difficult to word :p:
Reply 15
Amzzz
hey

Can anyone give me tips on how to answer part (a) of the questions? Still life and jewellery design, is what im doing.
Cant wait till this exams over with!

These are my areas also :biggrin:

Just describe as much as you can. Spend no longer than twenty minutes on an A question. I would recommend 15 and then 5 to go over it. You really need to cram it in though.

Be sure to describe the piece thourughly and then, depending on the wording of the question, use the question to structure your paragraphs.

If you are stuck for ideas, remember tone, pattern, colour, texture, visual elements, etc.

Do you have past papers? If you look at the marking scheme you will get a good idea of what to aim for. If you don't have them, earch in google for a specific year and you will get the SQA marking scheme. If that fails, I'll scan some in for you. :smile:
Reply 16
xo-Heva
These are my areas also :biggrin:

Just describe as much as you can. Spend no longer than twenty minutes on an A question. I would recommend 15 and then 5 to go over it. You really need to cram it in though.

Be sure to describe the piece thourughly and then, depending on the wording of the question, use the question to structure your paragraphs.

If you are stuck for ideas, remember tone, pattern, colour, texture, visual elements, etc.

Do you have past papers? If you look at the marking scheme you will get a good idea of what to aim for. If you don't have them, earch in google for a specific year and you will get the SQA marking scheme. If that fails, I'll scan some in for you. :smile:

Thank you for your reply was very helpful :smile:
I dont have past papers, so ill have a look on gooogle to see if i can find any!
Aw ryt kool, what artists/designers are you doing?
thanks alot for response, i cant seem to find any higher art marking schemes on google or sqa site tis wierd
Reply 18
What i find is good is to spend a good bit of time looking into the history and stuff and taking notes, then looking at examples and picking out major points about it that you could twist easily. Then to help reinforce the info do a single sided A4 sheet for expressive and one for design and summarise everything, try to have at least 5 things for each artist/designers history; first piece; second piece. This helped me get almost full marks in every prelim:biggrin:
Reply 19
xo-Heva
Revise informatio on 2 artists for each area you do
eg. Expressive and Jewellery Design = 4 artists.

Revise 2 pieces of work by each artist.
4 artists x 2 pieces = 8 pieces of work.

I hope I explained that clearly, it was quite difficult to word :p:

Ok then cheers i will try that.

My teacher never even told us to do two pieces from each artist! What a spanner lol.

Wish me luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending