Flaming religious people on TSR Watch

anonymous_user
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Before I start, Im atheist.

I've been seeing a lot of threads recently where if anyone even mentions religion, it just descends into a God-bashing session. This just seems so hypocrtical, to flame religious people for being "arrogant" and "closed-minded" when we atheists literally tear anyone to shreds for mentioning spirituality.

No, you cannot prove that a god exists, and to try so is stupid. But it is equally stupid to try to prove that god doesnt exist. We can disprove fundamentalist beliefs, such as a young earth or creationism, but anything supernatural, by definition, exists beyond the natural world and beyond what we can measure. Belief in god is a matter of faith, an irrational assumption where rationality cannot apply.

You can question the need for such an assumption, fine, it may seem needless or improbable. But I know from experience that liberal religion does a great deal of good for some people, giving them hope, motivation to be better and do good things, and generally helps them to be happy. What's the point in insulting that?
MGIL
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I Love You
diskohuelga
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You m'friend, are a genius.

+rep.
vander Beth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I quite like you.
Kneechuh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well done. You've managed to come to the conclusion that there isn't one accepted opinion on religion floating around on TSR; and have also realised that arguing on the internet is stupid.

:clap:
hardcoretophat
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
+ve rep ^^
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow I really haven't ever read anything like that before.
Kiwiguy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:tsr2: what else do you expect? = P

But kudos for being bright!
sleekchic
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
Now if only people would take that into account.
Andrii
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
+rep =) You are my hero (love you!). The most intelligent and simple comment I have read on TSR in a long time... no... lets make that ever!!
BillyLiu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kneechuh)
Well done. You've managed to come to the conclusion that there isn't one accepted opinion on religion floating around on TSR; and have also realised that arguing on the internet is stupid.

:clap:
There's no physical or social retribution due to anonymity, so people grow a huge pair of balls and act like a bunch of 11-year-old fanatics.

OP: As an atheist, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Why bother? Let the religious folk believe what they want, and let us do the same. I just hate it when occasionally you see someone bait religious people into an argument to show their self-righteous viewpoint and how "wrong" religion is. Trolling, that is.

Well done for pointing this out. +rep for you!
CertifiedAngel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As soon as i saw the title i thought it was YET ANOTHER thread by an angry atheist insulting religious people or ridiculing their religion.

The funny thing is that you hardly get any religious people insulting non believers its almost always the other way round.

But yeah agreed
BillyLiu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CertifiedAngel)
As soon as i saw the title i thought it was YET ANOTHER thread by an angry atheist insulting religious people or ridiculing their religion.

The funny thing is that you hardly get any religious people insulting non believers its almost always the other way round.

But yeah agreed
Yep, definitely.
yoyo462001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have noticed that whenever i bring in Christianity (Im christian) people usually just attack at afterwards.
chud101
Report 9 years ago
Believing in God is similar to believing Santa brings you all prezzies or that the easter bunnie exists....etc.....
anonymous_user
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by BillyLiu)
There's no physical or social retribution due to anonymity, so people grow a huge pair of balls and act like a bunch of 11-year-old fanatics.

OP: As an atheist, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Why bother? Let the religious folk believe what they want, and let us do the same. I just hate it when occasionally you see someone bait religious people into an argument to show their self-righteous viewpoint and how "wrong" religion is. Trolling, that is.

Well done for pointing this out. +rep for you!
lol, a lot of my mates are hard core atheists, so i probably wouldnt have the balls to say this to them. Thank god for the internet! (just an expression)
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by CertifiedAngel)

But yeah agreed

There has been a few of them on TSR before, although admittedly they're probably just trolls pretending to be religious to stir up trouble rather than genuinely religious.
jammythedodger
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I agree with the first person to reply...
I love you =D
Trench Face
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So you are saying that he doesnt exist?
cowsgoquack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.69%
No - but I will (82)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (511)
47.67%

Watched Threads