I can't concentrate in exams! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've been doing exams for years and years and years. Never had any trouble. Always done really well.

This year (second year of uni) they are going dreadfully! I literally cannot concentrate in the exam hall - my mind is all over the place and I find it really hard to just calm down and answer the question paper. I'm scared my exam results have really suffered this year, even though I have revised pretty hard. I have no idea what's going on. Tiredness? Stress? Some kind of concentration disorder? It's really disheartening coming out and realising I screwed up and could have done so much better if I just focused.

Anyone have any advice? I feel like crap at the moment

Sorry for the moan.
Vivisteiner
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For me its all about getting the right balance of adrenaline.

If you have too much you get too flustered and worried and cannot work out problems, if you have too little you lose focus and can't work effectively.

Try and work out what frame of mind you are in currently and what you've got to do to get into the right frame of mind. Probably not that helpful, but its the best I can do.

Make sure you're well hydrated, fed but not full and relaxed but not slovernly. Get a good night sleep.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Vivisteiner)
For me its all about getting the right balance of adrenaline.

If you have too much you get too flustered and worried and cannot work out problems, if you have too little you lose focus and can't work effectively.

Try and work out what frame of mind you are in currently and what you've got to do to get into the right frame of mind. Probably not that helpful, but its the best I can do.

Make sure you're well hydrated, fed but not full and relaxed but not slovernly. Get a good night sleep.
Thanks for the great advice. How do I "control" my adrenaline, though? In my exam today it was DISTINCTLY lacking until the last half hour.....all the time before that I just felt a bit "meh" and that's why I did crap....

The sleep thing might be the issue. I haven't been sleeping well this year; been cramming late into the night. It's hard to get the balance right between making sure you've learnt enough and getting enough sleep, especially if you're as paranoid/worried about having learnt everything as me,
Vivisteiner
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^The day before an exam, always get lots (8-9 hours) of sleep - its too late to revise. Revising a little in the morning though sometimes helps my brain to get into gear.

About controlling adrenaline - thats difficult if its not there. Try psyching yourself up for your exam - think of what makes your exam unique and important. Think about all the questions that you are slightly worried about but don't let your worries take over you. Resolve that you will really go for it and give it your best shot.

Once I was singing two pieces in a concert. One I'd known for ages, the other I'd learnt a few days before. Afterwards I was told the one I was less prepared for went better because I was on edge resulting in the adrenaline kicking in and me giving a more dramatic performance. From personal experience you have got to be on edge in exams as well to do well. My method of having controlled nervousness and inner energy has enabled me to perform well in exams throughout my life.
The Wookie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you can't concentrate, maybe you should go to a concentration camp
chris king
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Wookie)
What a clown
emmielociraptor
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by The Wookie)
:no:

:spank:

DAD JOKE.
A dreaded sunny day
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Take deep breaths. In the beginning of the exam, you will notice many people will try and suppress their nerves, wasting time by flickering through the pages of the exam paper, without absorbing any of the information.

what I would advise, is spend some time looking through the paper whilst concentrating on your breathing. Do not try and work out the answers to the questions on the paper, just acknowledge their existance. People stress themselves out early in the exam, as they are trying to get their brain into "exam mode". This again is a mistake. All you have to achieve is finding a rhythm in which to answer questions, i.e. a pattern. I'd advise answering the questions in order, as that would help the fluidity in which you answer questions. Start with the first, be consistent with time spent on the question/thinking about question at number of marks. Not only does that help you answer the questions better, but allows you to have a control over time, which in an exam always seems to feel as if it's slipping away, something you can't control (hence induces pressure upon the student).

Sleep while an important issue, can be controlled. Often you can sleep well, but still go into an exam tired. Although I realise you may already be taking coffee, having coffee or any hot drink at breakfast or before the exam often clears your airways. Coffee especially for me does the trick, clears the airways and makes me breathe (for want of a better word) fuller.

If you're wearing a jacket/jumper, ideally it is better to take it off, hence you won't feel as constricted. you have to be confortable in your surroundings, hence before the exam has started, don't be afraid to look around you at people next to you and your surroundings. I've seen people in exams who often have this urge to look around the room in the middle of the exam, which only builds pressure. Taking the time to wish someone good luck, and recieve the reply, "you too", is worth it also, as it builds your confidence. When going into an exam, it is perhaps worth studying or checking your revision material with others. It makes you feel more relaxed about the exam, especially when the exam is hard, it will remind you that others will find it hard (hence allowing you to tackle it in the most appropriate manner).

Hope this helps.
tazreen
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what is that supposed to mean? concentration camp is the place of death for over 6 million Jews! what the heck? that's not even funny
Stony Owner
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take some water in with you.
neal95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Some people work themselves up so much before exams and it's just not worth it if your not ready on the day you never will be tbh. Revise everything well in advance and do some morning cramming you have nothing to worry about, walk in to the exam hall unphased, open the question paper and READ THE QUESTION/SCENARIO/CASE STUDY- for my law 04 exam I took a good 10-12 mins before starting to write, reading both scenarios, making a judgement on which one to go for whilst spotting all the relevant issues from both of them, whilst some people started writing straight away and missed a lot of important concepts. Composure is key
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (219)
39.46%
No - but I will (38)
6.85%
No - I don't want to (37)
6.67%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (261)
47.03%

Watched Threads