Slipstreamer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
What are the advantages of mammals having internal lungs?
GYinWL
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What do you mean? As opposed to mammals having external lungs?! :curious:
Chiko 1001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ribcage. Durrr.
schtim
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
too delicate to be outside
and
you breathe in and out mainly because of pressure changes in your chest (which wouldnt be possible outside the body)
and probably other stuff im too thick to remember
FiveFiveSix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
'Cos blood eagles look painful?
Woody.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We'd have to constantly move, we would lose a LOT of water, the lungs would dry out, they would be very susceptible to damage.
MrBlackwood
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oladz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Slipstreamer)
What are the advantages of mammals having internal lungs?
is this as opposed to gaseous exchange taking place through the skin as is the case with insects and sometimes amphibians?

Beacuase the surface area to volume ratio of skin on mammals is generally too low for enough gaseous exchange to take place for all or the cells in their bodies.
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Christ, there are some terrible answers in this thread.

I'm sitting WJEC Bi2 on june the first as well and the answers would be :-
-Keep them moist
-Prevents Water loss
-Maintain heat
-Air is an easier medium to move, in relation to fish's external gills.

(Original post by Slipstreamer)
This was a genuine WJEC Bi2 past paper question.
I have all the WJEC Bi2 mark schemes if you give me the paper and question number I can double check for you.
cowsgoquack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Compared to what? Very strange question.
cowsgoquack
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oladz)
is this as opposed to gaseous exchange taking place through the skin as is the case with insects and sometimes amphibians?
insects don't have skin, and gas exchange doesn't occur across it (even if they did have)
ashkan eighaei
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For mammals and other big terrestrials gas exchange can not occur by diffusion because the path way is too long, rate of diffusion is too slow and the surface area to volume ratio is small so they need an internal or external system for gas exchange. If mammals or other terrestrials would have external lungs or gas exchange surface, they would have two main problems. 1- It could be so hard to keep the exchange surface moist ( fish lives in water so has no problem about it) 2- Ventilation, as you know to keep a constant diffusion gradient, ventilation is needed to take place. Ventilation occurs to replenish the supplies air to the exchange surface. Therefore, if terrestrials e.g mammals had external lungs, how could the ventilation to take place? In fish, the process of mouth, opperculum cavity and buccul cavity allows it to occur by forcing the water through the gills but terrestrials need chest for ventilation. Therefore, they need internal lungs. Hope you like it I spent my time to write it for you.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ashkan eighaei)
2- Ventilation, as you know to keep a constant diffusion gradient, ventilation is needed to take place. Ventilation occurs to replenish the supplies air to the exchange surface. Therefore, if terrestrials e.g mammals had external lungs, how could the ventilation to take place?
Well, it could work like a bird, where air flows one way through openings due to constant movement. This is highly efficient and allows some types of bird to ply comfortably at 11,000+ meters in altitude, something we would all be long dead at. Obviously this presents its own problems though, so we don't use it.
ashkan eighaei
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A part of their ventilation occurs by moving the flight muscles and the main process of ventilation occurs by the movement of ribs. so they also need internal lungs. In addition, think about collapsing, if the lungs in terrestrials were external, it would cause collapsing to occur.
Revd. Mike
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ashkan eighaei)
For mammals and other big terrestrials gas exchange can not occur by diffusion because the path way is too long, rate of diffusion is too slow and the surface area to volume ratio is small so they need an internal or external system for gas exchange. If mammals or other terrestrials would have external lungs or gas exchange surface, they would have two main problems. 1- It could be so hard to keep the exchange surface moist ( fish lives in water so has no problem about it) 2- Ventilation, as you know to keep a constant diffusion gradient, ventilation is needed to take place. Ventilation occurs to replenish the supplies air to the exchange surface. Therefore, if terrestrials e.g mammals had external lungs, how could the ventilation to take place? In fish, the process of mouth, opperculum cavity and buccul cavity allows it to occur by forcing the water through the gills but terrestrials need chest for ventilation. Therefore, they need internal lungs. Hope you like it I spent my time to write it for you.
This thread is nearly two years old ¬_¬
princess_angel_
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because then you would have to have mucus on your skin 24/7 to be able to respire.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (353)
46.45%
No (81)
10.66%
I'm not old enough (326)
42.89%

Watched Threads