The Literary Society Watch

yo-less
Badges: 1
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by staylor)
OMG Ive never even heard of anybody else except me who had read them :eek:.
i've read them!!and i assumed everyone has read them
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Charlottie)
Heh... I guess I'm taking the right uni subject anyway.

Here's another, Daphne Du Maurier’s, ‘Rebecca’, It’s a book I’d been meaning to read for a long time and when I finally got round to it I was very glad I had done. The opening line;

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."

is in my opinion a beautiful opening to a beautiful novel. The first chapter tells so much, engaging the reader with its bizarre phallic imagery and references to lack of sex as a defiance of nature. The story immediately draws up the question of comparison between the dead Rebecca and our unnamed heroine, as well as the idea of importance based on name and identity. We know that our heroine has an unknown, but unusual name, just as she is unknown and unusual at Manderley - Rebecca is not. Rebecca is familiar and clouds everything despite, or perhaps due to, her death.

The novel is often cited as a gothic romance, but it is so much more than that. It is a tale of sadness, loss, bittersweet beauty and inferiority. Read it! There is a follow up book by Sally Beauman called ‘Rebecca’s Tale’ which I’ve been meaning to read too. Anyone read it?
i didnt know there was a sequel!!
and yes,rebecca is an awesome book
Gwen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yo-less)
i've read them!!and i assumed everyone has read them
i've read them too!

has anyone read 'Dorian Gray' yet? i'm debating whether to do Wilde or Dickens' 'Hard Times' next.

(yes, two classics which i should have read already but somehow haven't got around to )
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Gwenyth!)
i've read them too!

has anyone read 'Dorian Gray' yet? i'm debating whether to do Wilde or Dickens' 'Hard Times' next.

(yes, two classics which i should have read already but somehow haven't got around to )
Potrait of dorian gray - i've been meaning to read that for about a month now
Gwen
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Potrait of dorian gray - i've been meaning to read that for about a month now
hehehe - last month, i bought a huge book called 'the complete works of Oscar Wilde.' It's everything he ever wrote, including tiny, obscure poems from college. It's been sitting intimidatingly on my shelf and everytime i go near it, i think 'well if i'm going to do wilde, i should maybe also do dickens"

so, the clear choice was to go read 'shopaholic' and come back to these two
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
hehehe - last month, i bought a huge book called 'the complete works of Oscar Wilde.' It's everything he ever wrote, including tiny, obscure poems from college. It's been sitting intimidatingly on my shelf and everytime i go near it, i think 'well if i'm going to do wilde, i should maybe also do dickens"

so, the clear choice was to go read 'shopaholic' and come back to these two
obviously :p:
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i've read them too!

I read that! I gave it a short review in the 'what was the last book you read' thread. I liked it.
staylor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What is this Dorian Gray thing? Should I read it?
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I cant find the original on Amazon - all commentaries by Jenny Dooley and some Karl bloke.
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
What is this Dorian Gray thing? Should I read it?
remember League Of Extraodinary Gentleman?well,Dorian Gray is the guy who never aged,the potrait guy,the guy i fancied ,the one who died
remember now?
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ah, him. He was pretty cool.

Can anyone give me a link to some info about the book, or even somewhere to buy it. Amazon has no copies of the original except for 'Le portrait de Dorian Gray' by some french publisher :confused:
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didn't really like his character in the book, vain, shallow self-absorbed boy.

Can anyone give me a link to some info about the book, or even somewhere to buy it. Amazon has no copies of the original except for 'Le portrait de Dorian Gray' by some french publisher :confused:
You can probably find it in any bookstore... get out of the house!
yo-less
Report 13 years ago

ahhhh,my bad.it's Picture Of Dorian Gray
heres the link
http://print.google.com/print?id=j9w...wNQF_uHxAhG1oE
theres and excerpt as well as places you can buy it from on the side
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ayaan)
I didn't really like his character in the book, vain, shallow self-absorbed boy.
thats why i liked him...what more could a girl ask for? :love:
actually no,its cos i'm oddly attracted to evil characters,books and movies alike :eek: dont know where this'll lead me
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ayaan)
You can probably find it in any bookstore... get out of the house!
how d'you know he's not at an internet cafe? :p:
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
thats why i liked him...what more could a girl ask for? :love:
actually no,its cos i'm oddly attracted to evil characters,books and movies alike :eek: dont know where this'll lead me
...the dark side?

I always hate selfish characters, that's why didn't like dorian, and that's why i hated pretty much everyone in wuthering heights. I loved Basil though and sybil's brother and tou know what wilde does to them :mad:

how d'you know he's not at an internet cafe?
I don't. okay to be fair... GET AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Its raining outside, and its a Sunday so I dont have to do my paper round. Im quite happy not leaving the computer thank you.
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
Its raining outside, and its a Sunday so I dont have to do my paper round. Im quite happy not leaving the computer thank you.
exactly!give the boy a break!! :rolleyes:
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
exactly!give the boy a break!! :rolleyes:
Okay, okay, I'm sorry, stay in front of the computer as long as you want, but don't come to me next time you can't find books online.
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ayaan)
Okay, okay, I'm sorry, stay in front of the computer as long as you want, but don't come to me next time you can't find books online.
i'm sure he'll be devastated at this new developments.if he can't ask you,it must be the end :rolleyes:
EDIT;don't mind me,i'm in a very snide mood :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads