(Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    The Witching Hour - Anne Rice
    I, Robot - Issac Asimov
    The Hobbit - J R R Tolkien
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J K Rowling
    Maximum Ride: School's Out Forever - James Patterson
    Wyrd Sisters - Terry Pratchett

i keep my signature up to date with this info
    Well, Hobbit, Harry Potter and Wyrd Sisters are all fast reads. You could be done within a week... so you've not got that far to go!

Of the Pratchett's you've just had come in, you've purchased some of my least favourite Discworld novels. Monstrous Regiment, WeeFree Men and Last Hero were not as good as some. But still good, of course, being by Terry Pratchett...:cool: Wyrd Sisters and Good Omens are, of course, superb!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well, Hobbit, Harry Potter and Wyrd Sisters are all fast reads. You could be done within a week... so you've not got that far to go!

Of the Pratchett's you've just had come in, you've purchased some of my least favourite Discworld novels. Monstrous Regiment, WeeFree Men and Last Hero were not as good as some. But still good, of course, being by Terry Pratchett...:cool: Wyrd Sisters and Good Omens are, of course, superb!!!
    I'm not a very fast reader and on top of that, i'm easily and constantly distracted.

The Terry Pratchett books Wee Free Men(Hardback), A Hat Full of Sky(Hardback), Monstrous Regiment(Hardback) and Last Hero(Illustrated Edition) were each 2.99, Last Hero has an RRP of 12.99 on it's own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    I'm not a very fast reader and on top of that, i'm easily and constantly distracted.

The Terry Pratchett books Wee Free Men(Hardback), A Hat Full of Sky(Hardback), Monstrous Regiment(Hardback) and Last Hero(Illustrated Edition) were each 2.99, Last Hero has an RRP of 12.99 on it's own.
    Yeh, they are pretty darn expensive. £3 is definitely a bargain, and they're still fun, absorbing reads!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)
    That's brilliant news- awesome! Well done! You 2 should be very proud of yourselves!;grouphugs; Yes that is inspiring too despite my stories developing at a slow pace only due to study eating up practically all of my time! Will definitely check out that website and your book! I like and write fantasy too. So is Calaspia your own Utopian world or Dystopian world? What is it like or is the plot generally like/include without giving away too much information? Make sure that your publishers get you a fare cut of the money to be made from it! How did you get the attention of the publishers/an offer? Why've you got one publisher in India too? Is it Japanese themed or partly in an Asian language or context then or with anime illustrations? I'm really interested.
    Thanks! ^.^ We love fantasy, simply because you are in no way restricted; you can write about whatever you want to! And there definitely were times when we thought about just leaving it. Especially after the first few years, when we hadn't got any response from publishers, and were beginning to realise that we needed to seriously revamp book one (we had by that stage thought out what would happen in the rest of the series as well, but the first book didn't really fit in with the rest of the series! At the moment, it is still more an introduction to the Insanity series, but definitely more involved than it was a few years ago.

Well, now to your questions! Firstly, thanks for showing an interest and asking these questions! (We need to get some more for the FAQ section of our website, which is poorly represented at the moment)

Calaspia: We work in a Multiverse system. That basically means, that the Universe in the Insanity series is pretty much the same as this one, with the planets etc. in roughly the same place (this was thought through thoroughly, because our world would be radically different, if the interstellar distances varied even just slightly from their current distances / locations / density etc). It is not u- or dystopian. Or I could put it like this: Is this world a u- or dystopian world? Whichever your answer, that is likely to be the answer you'll find in Calaspia. There are some truly hilarious moments, but also some rather sobering ones. (For example, we do not shy away from deaths of known characters)

The plot is a rather tricky one (even more tricky for me to describe, without giving away too much!), but is probably best described by what's on our website:

Evil has a new face - the face of reason.

Following their common sense, and the advice of legendary, albeit out-of-practice heroes, an innocent village falls victim to an insane scheme ... a landslide of deception awaits.

When Bryn returns after a period of academic exile to the village that reared him, of course he and his friends have to use the very first opportunity that presents itself to get back into their old habit of playing jokes on the community. However, the welcome celebrations are cut short when disaster overtakes the village.

Bryn, a thoughtful young Barue who is heir to the famous Bellyset family, the success of which came about by means of the popular drink Swigny, is pitched into a world of horror that gives way to a tapestry of deceit.

By the time Bryn and his allies even realise the dastardly plot, let alone discover who is behind it, it is too late to reverse their fortune. Soon their plea for help becomes a race to escape the capital city with their lives, never mind the aid they didn't get ...
    That's the basics of it.

In terms of 'a fair cut of the money', I'll say this: If we sell only the first print run (1'000 copies) we'll get a mild / alright amount of money out of it. However, as we sell more and more books, our royalties % increases, so that by the time we've sold 5'000 copies (which is quite a lot, we know) we are getting very high royalties. I don't want to say what the actualy %ages are at each step, but they are very good. Our dad helped us hugely in the contract side of things.
    Although we found the publishers ourselves, and managed to get them interested enough to talk about contracts on our own; it was then that our dad thought it a good idea to help us with the contracts etc. We got their attention in the standard way: sent them the first few chapters, and a summary of the book. They liked it, and requested the entire manuscript (these stages had happened a few times before with various other publishers, but we hadn't got much further than thay with any others). At the same time we sent the entire manuscripts to our current Indian Publisher. We then informed our U.K. publisher that we were in serious talks with an American publisher (which we were at that stage, but that has now fallen through). After that, our U.K. publisher read through it, and said they liked it enough to start talking about it seriously, so we explained more about the book (and the series) and got the contracts drafted out, then signed after a while. At the moment, we're working on the front cover designs, as well as publicity material, such as posters etc.

The Indian side of things comes about because our dad is actually Indian. So from that, we claimed our 'half-Indian' side, and decided that we may as well see if anyone in India was interested. (Indian's are always looking out for other Indians who have become successful outside of India, and while we are not yet successful, we may yet become very succesful! - fingers crossed). Our dad naturally has lots of contacts in India, and one suggested we look at what is currently our publisher. We got into talks, sent them the manuscript, and have now signed contracts and everything.

Becuase we're British twins, living in Switzerland, with an Indian heritage, we believed that we can market effectively in all three countries in a variety of ways! That was the main reasoning behind the India side of things.

We will also be taking some of the copies and selling them by ourselves in Switzerland locally, and organising various events there.

It is a lot of hard work, though! Writing the book is only half the effort, you then have to go through all the contracts, publicity details etc etc.

We've also been mentioned by the Grumpy Old Bookman (scroll down to near the bottom. it's under "accumulated data" und 'Twin Authors').
    And we can be found in various other places:
    http://www.iblist.com/book47651.htm
    http://www.sfbookcase.com/viewbook.asp?bookno=13432
    http://www.bookhitch.com/searchresul...chword=guptara

so things are definitely going well at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Esh)
    Thanks! ^.^ We love fantasy, simply because you are in no way restricted; you can write about whatever you want to! And there definitely were times when we thought about just leaving it. Especially after the first few years, when we hadn't got any response from publishers, and were beginning to realise that we needed to seriously revamp book one (we had by that stage thought out what would happen in the rest of the series as well, but the first book didn't really fit in with the rest of the series! At the moment, it is still more an introduction to the Insanity series, but definitely more involved than it was a few years ago.

Well, now to your questions! Firstly, thanks for showing an interest and asking these questions! (We need to get some more for the FAQ section of our website, which is poorly represented at the moment)

Calaspia: We work in a Multiverse system. That basically means, that the Universe in the Insanity series is pretty much the same as this one, with the planets etc. in roughly the same place (this was thought through thoroughly, because our world would be radically different, if the interstellar distances varied even just slightly from their current distances / locations / density etc). It is not u- or dystopian. Or I could put it like this: Is this world a u- or dystopian world? Whichever your answer, that is likely to be the answer you'll find in Calaspia. There are some truly hilarious moments, but also some rather sobering ones. (For example, we do not shy away from deaths of known characters)

The plot is a rather tricky one (even more tricky for me to describe, without giving away too much!), but is probably best described by what's on our website:

That's the basics of it.

In terms of 'a fair cut of the money', I'll say this: If we sell only the first print run (1'000 copies) we'll get a mild / alright amount of money out of it. However, as we sell more and more books, our royalties % increases, so that by the time we've sold 5'000 copies (which is quite a lot, we know) we are getting very high royalties. I don't want to say what the actualy %ages are at each step, but they are very good. Our dad helped us hugely in the contract side of things.
    Although we found the publishers ourselves, and managed to get them interested enough to talk about contracts on our own; it was then that our dad thought it a good idea to help us with the contracts etc. We got their attention in the standard way: sent them the first few chapters, and a summary of the book. They liked it, and requested the entire manuscript (these stages had happened a few times before with various other publishers, but we hadn't got much further than thay with any others). At the same time we sent the entire manuscripts to our current Indian Publisher. We then informed our U.K. publisher that we were in serious talks with an American publisher (which we were at that stage, but that has now fallen through). After that, our U.K. publisher read through it, and said they liked it enough to start talking about it seriously, so we explained more about the book (and the series) and got the contracts drafted out, then signed after a while. At the moment, we're working on the front cover designs, as well as publicity material, such as posters etc.

The Indian side of things comes about because our dad is actually Indian. So from that, we claimed our 'half-Indian' side, and decided that we may as well see if anyone in India was interested. (Indian's are always looking out for other Indians who have become successful outside of India, and while we are not yet successful, we may yet become very succesful! - fingers crossed). Our dad naturally has lots of contacts in India, and one suggested we look at what is currently our publisher. We got into talks, sent them the manuscript, and have now signed contracts and everything.

Becuase we're British twins, living in Switzerland, with an Indian heritage, we believed that we can market effectively in all three countries in a variety of ways! That was the main reasoning behind the India side of things.

We will also be taking some of the copies and selling them by ourselves in Switzerland locally, and organising various events there.

It is a lot of hard work, though! Writing the book is only half the effort, you then have to go through all the contracts, publicity details etc etc.

We've also been mentioned by the Grumpy Old Bookman (scroll down to near the bottom. it's under "accumulated data" und 'Twin Authors').
    And we can be found in various other places:
    http://www.iblist.com/book47651.htm
    http://www.sfbookcase.com/viewbook.asp?bookno=13432
    http://www.bookhitch.com/searchresul...chword=guptara

so things are definitely going well at the moment
    Dude I'm impressed! And not just because I'm indian :p: (sikh, here!). The book sounds awesome - I'm a big fan of fantasy, as I'm sure everyone knows by now - and if I ever see your book lying around, I might be tempted to buy for more than just the thought of supporting you!

Nice job :top:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!

What type of fantasy 'you mainly in to? Classic High Fantasy? Dark Fantasy? Historic Fantasy?

ReputationRep:
    I'm into all kinds of fantasy - as long as the story is good. My favourite authors include: David Eddings, Robert Jordan, Robin Hobb, Terry Goodkind, Kate Jacoby, Trudi Canavan, James Clemens, David Gemmel, J V Jones, George R R Martin... the list goes on for a while

I don't know what sort of fantasy they all qualify as, but there you have it.

ReputationRep:
    I was reading Checkmate-Malorie Blackman, got if from the library this afternoon at about 4....had an hour break to walk the dog :p: finished in 4 hours...so now back to finding a book to read :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know pretty much all of those, Demon_AS. But not all of them... I know the kind of stuff you're into now, and I think you could well enjoy Conspiracy of Calaspia. It's perhaps slightly more humorous than some of those, but as I mentioned, the book one is more of an intro to the series.

Malorie Blackman. I've heard of her. She any good? I saw some of her books, but wasn't too excited by the covers / description. . .

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know pretty much all of those, Demon_AS. But not all of them... I know the kind of stuff you're into now, and I think you could well enjoy Conspiracy of Calaspia. It's perhaps slightly more humorous than some of those, but as I mentioned, the book one is more of an intro to the series.

Malorie Blackman. I've heard of her. She any good? I saw some of her books, but wasn't too excited by the covers / description. . .
    I love the Noughts and Crosses trilogy (checkmate is the last one) they really drag me inot them and I cant get free :p: hence why I devoured it in 4 hours! I really do advise you to try them The shorter stories arent as good as the trilogy, but are still good the covers arent very exciing, and the desciption doesnt really do it justice...:p:

ReputationRep:

Malorie Blackman... she wrote Noughts and Crosses, didn't she? I'm not sure that was fantasy, but I believe she's rated pretty highly as an author. I like humorous books I forgot to name K J Parker as an author I like - while his stuff can be confusing and surreal in places, most of it is written in such a sardonic tone that I can't do anything but laugh .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Malorie Blackman... she wrote Noughts and Crosses, didn't she? I'm not sure that was fantasy, but I believe she's rated pretty highly as an author. I like humorous books I forgot to name K J Parker as an author I like - while his stuff can be confusing and surreal in places, most of it is written in such a sardonic tone that I can't do anything but laugh .
    She did - Checkmate is the 3rd in that trilogy

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you commend them so highly, and say they're reasonably quick to read through, I might borrow them from the school library some time. . .

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you commend them so highly, and say they're reasonably quick to read through, I might borrow them from the school library some time. . .
    They are indeed =D and get them from the library definatly :p: or buy them..whichever is easier :p:

ReputationRep:
    I found this site by accident. It's about the origins of Tolkiens Middle Earth and The Lord of the Rings

http://www.sacred-texts.com/ring/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    I restarted Eddings' stuff - currently re-read Demon Lord of Karanda I'm quite enjoying it! Sir Esh (thank for the rep, btw!) when's your book coming out?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.twins.guptara.net has most of the detailed information on it.

Well, it's already available for pre-release sale on Amazon, as well as from our publisher directly (it's cheaper from Amazon, though, don't ask me why. Oh, and I didn't say that )

The release date is the 21st of November, and it will be a world-wide one (meaning Switzerland, where we live, the U.K. because of our U.K. publisher and India / thailand / myanmar / singapore etc. through our Indian publisher). Of course, we will be doing some events around the place before hand for publicity. If all goes according to plan, at least.

I might put up a couple of pictures that we've got from our illustrator so that you can have a look at them, then give us your opinion

ReputationRep:
    Definitely I look forward to it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'm now reading Memoirs of a Geisha, VERY SLOWLY thanks to starting at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I watched the film for that just the other day. I'm not really sure what I thought of it... It was good, I guess - at least it didn't put me to sleep, always a plus lol - but I don't know. I guess I had higher expectations.

I wonder if the book is better - they usually are, from personal experience (e.g. LoTR/Harry Potter)

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.