Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Don't watch any tv. And its international affairs that interest me. I just keep ontop of world headlines on bbc.co.uk
    well, i'm heading off, going to do some reading before i go to sleep.

night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Esh)
    *gives demon a choice between being sparkled and .... something that he by no means wants*

There you go, choose one! Then we can say that you sparkle by choice! :p:

On a more serious note, I only just found out that David Gemmell died! Such a shame. He was a brilliant writer. I got completely into his books when I started to read them. Very innovative writer. A great loss to the world
    A forced choice is no choice.

David Gemmel is dead? :eek3: No way! He's one of my favourite authors of all time :bawling:.

Damn. Rest in peace, man.

ReputationRep:
    Sparkly's back!

ReputationRep:
    I'm bringing sparkly back... :p:

ReputationRep:
    The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath would be correctly described as contemporary fiction, right? Because it's more a characterised story reflecting the author than an autobiography. Yourjoyismylow will definitely know!

Elements, yup! I would certainly say so.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently reading 'Wicked' and 'Ptolemy's Gate', and feeling annoyed that someone spoiled
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Nathaniel's death
    at the end of PG for me.

Edit: sorry if I spoiled anyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scheherazade)
    I'm currently reading 'Wicked' and 'Ptolemy's Gate', and feeling annoyed that someone spoiled [spoiler]Nathaniel's death[spoiler] at the end of PG for me.
    I've got Wicked and am looking forward to reading it, is it any good?

and just as a note, you need to use / in the closing tag to get the spoiler to work

ReputationRep:
    I finally got a hold of The Andalite Chronicles by K A Applegate I'm loving it!

ReputationRep:
    For anyone who is interested, here is a list of books that i have aquired over the years.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf booklist.pdf (27.2 KB, 220 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    I've got Wicked and am looking forward to reading it, is it any good?

and just as a note, you need to use / in the closing tag to get the spoiler to work
    I really like it, the beginning's slow, but once Elphaba's grown up it's fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, Mr Pedantic - that's one impressive booklist! Nice one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    For anyone who is interested, here is a list of books that i have aquired over the years.
    I've actually read your reading list (which is huge) and here are my thoughts:

I'd skip Tom Holt and move Stardust and Anansi Boys up the list.

'Tick Tock' is the only decent Dean Koontz book.

'Good Omens' beats everything. But watch 'The Omen' first.

'Wintersmith' is out, read it after 'Wee Free Men' and 'A hat full of sky'.

If you're going to read 'War and Peace', add 'Anna Karenina'.

The three-fifty from Paddington is my favourite Agatha Christie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scheherazade)
    I've actually read your reading list (which is huge) and here are my thoughts:

I'd skip Tom Holt and move Stardust and Anansi Boys up the list.

'Tick Tock' is the only decent Dean Koontz book.

'Good Omens' beats everything. But watch 'The Omen' first.

'Wintersmith' is out, read it after 'Wee Free Men' and 'A hat full of sky'.

If you're going to read 'War and Peace', add 'Anna Karenina'.

The three-fifty from Paddington is my favourite Agatha Christie.
    While i haven't read most of the books in my list, i have read some of the ones you mentioned.

I've read 'Stardust' and 'Anansi Boys' (as well as 'Neverwhere' and 'Smoke and Mirrors') by Neil gaiman. I've read one of the Tom Holt books, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'. I've had mixed reviews about Holt, but i liked what i read, but not as good as Gaiman.

Read Good Omens, saw The Omen and it's sequels years ago.

I prefer to read books in order and not sure when i'll get round to buying Wintersmith.

I'll get round to reading the Agatha Christie books and War and Peace one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ron Stoppable)
    read Anna Maxted
    Authoress or title of book? And why? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Authoress or title of book? And why? :cool:
    :: Anna Maxted writes novels that are laden with rich humour.
    :: Despite masquerading as high-end chick lit, her titles deal with deep issues such as grief, rejection, motherhood and sibling rivalry.
    :: Reading her literature is like watching Bridget Jones' Diary - for smart people.
    :: Her first novel, Getting Over It, is especially fantastic - and only £2.76 (incl P&P) on Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough Always open to recommendations :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Read Raymond E. Feist! I loved his new book, it's excellent :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Feist rocks!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Wow! We're actually using this soc for stuff like.. book convos again *impressed* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I know! Let's not jinx it by mentioning it too many times, though.

Speaking of books, I've just finished reading one that I borrowed on wednesday (which was when I finished the Feist one - yes, I am that good, when the books are good) and I came on here specifically to recommend it to people. It was absolutely brilliant, considering the fact that I borrowed it with the words "Just something to tide me over until something more interesting comes along". I couldn't have found anything better! It's called Dead Beat by an author called Jim Butcher... has anyone read anything else by this author? All part of a series called "The Dresden Files".

Unfortunately, it was the 7th book in the series, so as of tomorrow I shall seek out the first few. The writing is in first person, and as long as you don't mind a truckload of americanisms (the dude is american) you should be ok. It's quite witty, too, sometimes in a dark sort of way. A cynic's wit.

I loved this book .

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.