The Literary Society Watch

Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
:eek: What the heck were you doing up at that time in the morning :eek3:?
yo-less
Report 12 years ago
Er... Hi guys.

I'm leaving TSR and hereby hand over all my Literary society duties to the member Demon_AS.

You guys have been awesome, thanks for your support of this thread and I wish you all a most prosperous posting career.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
You're doing what? Me?! Er... I don't know whether you noticed this, yo-less, but you sort of neglected to tell me about this :eek:

I can't believe you're actually leaving :bawling: After all we've been through! :p:
Mr_Pedantic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yo-less)
Er... Hi guys.

I'm leaving TSR and hereby hand over all my Literary society duties to the member Demon_AS.

You guys have been awesome, thanks for your support of this thread and I wish you all a most prosperous posting career.
you'll be missed, you and your vampiric hatred of sheep
Yorkiebar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sorry guys, but I just can't stand Harry Potter, not when I'm used to great authors like Anne McCaffrey, Robin Hobb and David Eddings, to name but a few. I found the books after the Prisoner of Azkaban, especially #5, to be poorly thought out, too detailed in some areas and too simplified in others, with a very predictable plot and above all a lack of imagination.

I'm not going to write an essay on the books to justify all the above, or engage in any arguments, but there's my opinion. Rep coming your way, Demon AS, just for saying 'I respect your opinion'. Don't hear that often on TSR. I have read all 6 by the way and will read the seventh (my little brother will get it), but I can't see Rowling redeeming herself in my eyes without an enormous improvement.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Haha, thanks for the rep Yorkie, it's appreciated. My personal opinion of number 5 was that it wasn't on par with the rest, but my opinion of book 6 was that it was better than 1 and 2 as well. On par with 4, maybe, because I loved the action of the Triwizard Tournament, and 3 was my favourite at one time because I liked it. I can't really explain why with enough actual evidence, because I liked it more on intuitive grounds rather than for any plot-related reasons.

Definitely give 'em all a go, is what I say - it gives you a stronger case to argue when you know more facts .
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Yorkiebar)
I'm sorry guys, but I just can't stand Harry Potter, not when I'm used to great authors like Anne McCaffrey, Robin Hobb and David Eddings, to name but a few. I found the books after the Prisoner of Azkaban, especially #5, to be poorly thought out, too detailed in some areas and too simplified in others, with a very predictable plot and above all a lack of imagination.
You don't have to apologise. I agree fully that Rowling is nothing remarkeable, she was just lucky to get there first. However, something doesn't have to be fine literature for it to be 'absorbing', and I enjoyed them much the same way as one enjoys a light and fluffy mindless film. Rowling created characters that were endearing, and that people could relate to. This is a simplistic, but winning formula.
Sir Esh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I wouldn't class the HP series as great literature, and wouldn't rank it with Tad Williams etc. However, I do think that the books are very absorbing. I can't help but stay up late into the night until I've finished the book! (Then want to re-read it the next day so that I get all the small bits I missed) Some aspects of the books are annoying, but in all they are most enjoyable!

Enjoyable like "a light and fluffy mindless film" as Craghyrax says. Nice description
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Hmmm, you guys are way more hardcore than I am. I never class anything according how literary it is. Me? I love a good story. Potter gives me that. Me larves it. See? Simple :p:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
Hmmm, you guys are way more hardcore than I am. I never class anything according how literary it is. Me? I love a good story. Potter gives me that. Me larves it. See? Simple :p:
Lol... But Demon, you have to agree that when something is well written it has a certain quality to it that makes it stand out. The writing becomes more distinctive of that particular author's style, the choice of words used is often more intelligent.. it should flow.. etc etc. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell Rowling from any body else if you gave me a coverless book of her's that I hadn't read before.
Spoiler:
Show
Indeed, can she write in other genres?
There's definitely something to be said for a book being 'well written'. There are several authors who's stories I don't particularly care much for, yet their writing is so good that I enjoy reading simply to be lost in the 'lexis' ()
Oscar Wilde, for instance. I disliked his actual plays, but the language he used was so witty! I could go on...:rolleyes: Even Terry Pratchett. Easy, quick reads, but still the writing is so intelligent, and his style is so unique to him. Ok ok I'll stop now!
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Sir Esh)
...Enjoyable like "a light and fluffy mindless film" as Craghyrax says. Nice description
:cool:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Craghyrax)
Lol... But Demon, you have to agree that when something is well written it has a certain quality to it that makes it stand out. The writing becomes more distinctive of that particular author's style, the choice of words used is often more intelligent.. it should flow.. etc etc. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell Rowling from any body else if you gave me a coverless book of her's that I hadn't read before.
Spoiler:
Show
Indeed, can she write in other genres?
There's definitely something to be said for a book being 'well written'. There are several authors who's stories I don't particularly care much for, yet their writing is so good that I enjoy reading simply to be lost in the 'lexis' ()
Oscar Wilde, for instance. I disliked his actual plays, but the language he used was so witty! I could go on...:rolleyes: Even Terry Pratchett. Easy, quick reads, but still the writing is so intelligent, and his style is so unique to him. Ok ok I'll stop now!
I'm not saying that I disagree with any of that... I just meant that I don't distinguish between the two very often, because for me, any book that captivates me and makes me love the story is a well written book.

I suppose it really comes down to what you mean a well written book is. My interpretation: one that I like. What can I say? I'm a simple sort of guy.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fair enough...
Spoiler:
Show
'O Sparkling Leader'

Demon_AS
Rep:
?
What can I say? I lead by example :p:
xChellex
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Does anybody know of any new good books? I'm having a day of book shopping soon and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations of books/authors that they really enjoy and if there's anything sparkly and new that you think might be a good read?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Jim Butcher - The Dresden Files. They're american, but they're good

It starts with "Storm Front" - the other 7 should be inside the front cover :p:

Failing that, then the usual crowd: Robin Hobb, Eddings, Feist etc
Mr_Pedantic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Serenity87)
Does anybody know of any new good books? I'm having a day of book shopping soon and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations of books/authors that they really enjoy and if there's anything sparkly and new that you think might be a good read?
I've said it once and i'll say it again... Neil Gaiman

The books i've read and really enjoyed are(in alphabetical order):

Anansi Boys
Good Omens(with Terry Pratchett)
Neverwhere
Smoke & Mirrors
Stardust
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Serenity87)
If you enjoy witty satire, laughing your head off, and being very entertained, then any of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels (there are at least 30) or his Good Omens (with Neil Gaiman) are first class! :king1:
Soul Music was fun, Thief of Time, Night Watch...

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card was one of the best Sci Fi I've ever read. It wasn't very sci-fi ish either.. it felt more like a fantasy.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Is there that much of a difference? Star Wars is ranked everywhere as Sci Fi, and yet inclusion of The Force is pretty much a fantastical sort of thing :p:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
True. Although just looking at connotations and personal experiences of things, as a child sci fi put me off because it challenged my comfort zone, where fantasy usually tends to borrow from history, which is closer to ideas and realities we've familiarised ourselves with (or I had).. so our responses can be completely different to the two despite the similarities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
47.22%
Nope, not that interesting (13)
36.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed