Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what were people's favourite childhood authors? Mine was Robin Jarvis. I think i've read everything by him. The Whitby Witches is amazing. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eswiftfire)
    High fantasy's pretty repetitive and generic (... Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, anyone?) nowadays. I tend to get picky when picking a fantasy book to read.
    Yeah but magic is cool - and Goodkind does manage to seperate himself from Jordan after a couple of books. Of course after these couple of books the series goes rapidly downhill...

Anyone read James Clemens? I noticed Jordan similarities there too but much subtler.

(Original post by staylor)
    Goosebumps = pathetic

High fantasy = good
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    :cool:
    Oh wow what a great reply :rolleyes:.

I wont hear anything against Jordan OR Goodkind OR Clemens OR Hobb OR Canavan OR Barclay OR ANY OF THE OTHERS.

ReputationRep:

I wont hear anything against Jordan OR Goodkind OR Clemens OR Hobb OR Canavan OR Barclay OR ANY OF THE OTHERS.
    WHO has been saying things against Robin Hobb? Shall we hunt them down with sticks?

i meant i agree :rolleyes: *sighs*

(Original post by steerpike)
    WHO has been saying things against Robin Hobb? Shall we hunt them down with sticks?
    *arms self with broomstick* sounds fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steerpike)
    Not Hobb in particular, but it was implied that the books were rubbish. Blasphemers must be scoured from the Earth with fire and blood!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot for adding me!!

This thread's a bit scary, makes me feel as if I've read practically nowt.... :blush:

A few favourites (some have already been mentioned)
    Harry Potter (obv)
    all Philip Pullman stuff (I'd really recommend the non-His Dark Materials stuff, especially the Sally Lockhart books, not read The Tin Princess, but the others are amazing, so much research has obviously gone into them. The Broken Bridge is also good, more like a 'misplaced teen' book, but effective and well-written)
    Brett Easton Ellis
    Ben Elton
    Stephen Fry
    Nick Hornby
    The Shadow of the Winds by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (AMAZING, not yet found anyone else who's read it)
    J.G.Ballard
    John Steinbeck
    Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre
    A Million Little Pieces by James something......lent it to someone atm, can't remember his name, but was a brill book.

You're forgiven if you can't be bothered to read the whole post :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but magic is cool - and Goodkind does manage to seperate himself from Jordan after a couple of books. Of course after these couple of books the series goes rapidly downhill...

Anyone read James Clemens? I noticed Jordan similarities there too but much subtler.
    If you like fantasy, I highly recommend George R R Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, and also Steven Erikson's Malazan series. After them, you'll never bother with Goodkind and Jordan again.

ReputationRep:
    I do keep meaning to read them - Ice and fire is on my list to buy after the exams and I keep seeing references to Erikson. Ive never investigated him further though.

why does the thread say 'sticky' next to it?is it official now?

ReputationRep:
    Someone opened the jam.

(Original post by Madelyn)
    Someone opened the jam.
    :rofl:
    yep,i think its official :cool: YAY!!i rock :party: i should ask Pig before celebrating though...*wanders off clutching beer bottles*

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend any good horror novels? I'm a big Stephen King fan, but haven't read any work by other horror writers and I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

(Original post by October Project)
    Can anyone recommend any good horror novels? I'm a big Stephen King fan, but haven't read any work by other horror writers and I'm not sure where to start. Any suggestions?
    The Silence Of The Lambs;the series with Hannibal.but its more gruesome than scary

ReputationRep:
    The Silence Of The Lambs;the series with Hannibal.but its more gruesome than scary
    I have that whole trilogy, but I haven't read it yet

ReputationRep:
    Have you watched Rose Red by Stephen King?

Books I recommend:

Digital Fortress-Dan Brown
    Da Vinci Code-Dan Brown
    Harry Potter-JK Rowling
    My life as a B*tch (Female Dog)-Melvin Burgess
    A Clockwork Orange-Anthony Burgess

Hope you like it!

(Original post by October Project)
    I have that whole trilogy, but I haven't read it yet
    if you like horror...

ReputationRep:
    I've heard the books are far better than the films, which means they must be amazing since the films are all very good!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.