The Literary Society Watch

Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ayumi)
Well ok, I'll start with a short introduction.
My favourite authors are: Maupassant, Voltaire, Natsume Souseki, Haruki Murakami, Rousseau, Maurice leblanc, Sartre and........Nietzsche *hides*
Other authors I like but not love are: Sebastian Faulks, Jeffrey Eugenides, Chaucer, Hardy, Micheal Frayn, Stephen King, Tolkien, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie.
Authors that are not my cup of tea include: Gabriel Garcia Marquez and William Blake
And finally, the book I'm curretly reading is the scandalous "Lolita" by Nobakov.
I don't like William Blake either!
Welcome, btw...:cool:
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
Nobody could dislike that book!
Nope Not even my mother! I bought it two days ago, you see, along with Speaker of the Dead, which I will be reading on the morrow probably :top:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
Nope Not even my mother! I bought it two days ago, you see, along with Speaker of the Dead, which I will be reading on the morrow probably :top:
I've read all of them.. both the Ender series and the Ender's Shadow series. They were all fantastic. That was how I found out about the library's book order service.. but other libraries in Hampshire had it, so I could.. they don't have all the books I try to order :mad:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Oh, cool Well, I'll be sure to get onto those ASAP, then.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Lol.. well I'm sure its nice to know there are still delectable books awaiting when the large pile you already have has run out!
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Heh, it's rare for me to have a large pile of books. I usually finish one a day.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Heh, it's rare for me to have a large pile of books. I usually finish one a day.
True...
Mr_Pedantic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:mad: what happened to getting a Neil Gaiman book?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Well, she (my mother) only bought it (for me) because I told her repeatedly that it was a great book, and seeing as she'd run out of Jim Butcher to read, she acquiesced.

Wouldn't have worked if it was a book I'd never read
Ayumi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Ender's Game has good reviews
So I think I'll try it out.

I have to get reading on a stack of books before my Cambridge interview. It takes me ages to even read one book. I've take about 4 day reading a 300 page book..
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ayumi)

I have to get reading on a stack of books before my Cambridge interview. It takes me ages to even read one book. I've take about 4 day reading a 300 page book..
What course? Which college? What books?
I didn't get set any books to read...
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ayumi)

4 days is pretty good Takes me that amount too, if I'm busy (and I usually am). Good luck with your interview! You'll be fine.

And yes, definitely give Ender's Game a go... superb book
Ayumi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
What course? Which college? What books?
I didn't get set any books to read...
Applying for Japanese at Selwyn.
I want to read around my subject and re-read some books mentioned in my statement before the interview so these two weeks I aim to read/re-read the following:
I am a cat by natsume Souseki
The tale of Genji - Shibue Murasaki
The parisien affair - Maupassant
The age of reason - Sartre
The social contract - Rousseau
Candide by Voltaire
Norwegian wood - Murakami
The tale of Murasaki - Liza Dalby
Le Horla - Maupassant
The Master of Go -Kawabata
Tears of Longing: Nostalgia and the Nation in Japanese Popular Song

Alot to read, so little time.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, I'm so stuck I've almost given up on it myself. I looked at some old interview questions and nearly died. I'm opting for denial until its over. I nearly chose Selwyn, but changed to Peterhouse at the last minute. Social and Political Sciences. They asked for 3 essays and I only had 2, so they set a title, and I wrote a third essay and sent it in last week I haven't exactly had time to read!!! :eek:
Ayumi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well I'm taking time off college due to "illness" so I can prepare for the interview and cram-read.
I think I have Cambridge-obsession syndrome.
When is your interview date?

I am sending off my English essay tomorow and then I'm going to start on the books. Hopefully I can cram time to read Ender's Game too

I am so envious of those who can read 300 page books in 3 hours...
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ayumi)
Well I'm taking time off college due to "illness" so I can prepare for the interview and cram-read.
I think I share the condition Mind you I never thought of skiving college for it last year! This is my second time applying. Last year I applied for a deferred entry for Natural Sciences. This year I changed my mind.
(Original post by Ayumi)
6th Dec (the day after Demon's birthday! )I'm hoping the interview is nothing like it was last year! That was torture! :confused:
(Original post by Ayumi)
I am sending off my English essay tomorow and then I'm going to start on the books. Hopefully I can cram time to read Ender's Game too
I'd not bother with Ender's Game till after the interview. I've put a stop on all my other books.. I really should do the same with TSR and MSN! :rolleyes:
Ayumi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My interview is on the 6th too, maybe the fact our interviews are both after Demon's birthday will bring us luck.
I would get reading if I were you, reading some books by political writers like Wyn Grant, it will give you a foot on the debating fences.

I just noticed Demon has Cloud in his avater. Which reminds me I should go see if FF12 has come in the mail yet...
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Thanks. Yeh I found some past interview questions, and they looked a bit crazy. I'll read what I can...
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ayumi)

I am so envious of those who can read 300 page books in 3 hours...
3 hours? That's amazing! It would take me just over five, maybe five and a half, to read 300 pages
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
3 hours? That's amazing! It would take me just over five, maybe five and a half, to read 300 pages
I don't think anybody could read the sort of books you need to prep for Cambridge at that rate. It depends on the book. Some books one may be able to read that fast.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (866)
80.11%
Leave (215)
19.89%

Watched Threads