The Literary Society Watch

Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Sir Esh)
Actually, that was supposed to be the official release date, but there aren't any copies in circulation yet. There was a problem with the printing. There are only the ~200 hardback pre-release edition books now. Which are rapidly going!
I was supposed to be doing book signing at our school's book fair, but since the books didn't arrive on time, that didn't happen

Sorry for talking about something from ages ago, but I haven't been on in a while!

I generally read about a page a minute. On average. But speed-reading is useful when I pick up a Focus mag. or New Scientist, or want to quickly get the information from some article in the paper, or on the web or whatever it may be. Speed-reading books /novels I find harder. Also, because most of the time it's for my English Lit., so I need to make sure I can underline things etc, which slows things down a bit. . .
Heh, same here on your reading speed. Skim reading is very useful. I like to be thorough, though

I'll definitely get your book when it comes out Just keep us posted on here! And many congratulations, I guess, on behalf of the Lit Soc, on your publication! :party:
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
most of the time it's for my English Lit., so I need to make sure I can underline things etc, which slows things down a bit. . .
With me I found that for E.Lit, if I read the novel properly, slowly, and underlined as I went, I only ever needed to read it once because it stayed in my mind so well. But I have a semi-photographic memory when it comes to reading, which helps....:rolleyes:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Heh, Craggy wins :p: :rolleyes:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
Heh, Craggy wins :p: :rolleyes:
Easily said when its not your loss! :p:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Yep

Oh, and lets welcome our 100th member! Welcome to the society, wilbur
:party:

It's a shame yo-less isn't here to see the day her Soc got to a century! Well played, sir :p:
Sir Esh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ayumi)
Well ok, I'll start with a short introduction.
My favourite authors are: Maupassant, Voltaire, Natsume Souseki, Haruki Murakami, Rousseau, Maurice leblanc, Sartre and........Nietzsche *hides*
Other authors I like but not love are: Sebastian Faulks, Jeffrey Eugenides, Chaucer, Hardy, Micheal Frayn, Stephen King, Tolkien, Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie.
Authors that are not my cup of tea include: Gabriel Garcia Marquez and William Blake
And finally, the book I'm curretly reading is the scandalous "Lolita" by Nobakov.
You like those philosophers, don't you? And there's no need to hide if you enjoy Nietzsche

Sebastian Faulks - I'm reading Birdsong for my Eng. Lit. and it's actually really good. Chaucer (I watched "A knight's Tale" last night... :p: ) lol. And of course King, Tolkien, Sir A.C.Doyle, Agatha Christie. Yep, all very good!
Gabriel Garcia Marquez? Never heard before...

again to reply to something from far back. >_<

And don't worry guys, I'll be sure to let you all know when it can be bought in a normal Waterstones or something

Welcome, wilbur!
wilbur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh, and lets welcome our 100th member! Welcome to the society, wilbur
:party:
Thank you.

My tastes are fairly eclectic. If I had to name a single novel as my favourite it would probably be Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (who I think has already made an appearance on this thread).

For my degree I'm currently working on the Victorians, and from my reading so far I have enjoyed Dickens's Great Expectations, Hard Times, and Bleak House. I'm not a great George Eliot lover, but I enjoyed Silas Marner and The Mill on the Floss. I love Hardy, particularly Jude the Obscure and Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and Henry James is a bit of a legend as well. Gerard Manley Hopkins would probably be my favourite Victorian poet.

Outside my degree, I really like Russian literature. I'm in awe of Tolstoy (before he went all spiritual...), and Dostoyevsky, of course (I hope I spelt that correctly!). Solzhenitsyn has been excellent more recently...
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Chaucer (I watched "A knight's Tale" last night... :p: ) lol.
Heh.. we all think of that, don't we! :p:
And don't worry guys, I'll be sure to let you all know when it can be bought in a normal Waterstones or something
Darn right you will! :rolleyes:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by wilbur)
I have a particular fondness for Dickens's Great Expectations
Same here. My other favourite was David Copperfield
I'm not a great George Eliot lover
Neither am I ...Middlemarch was work, and I love classics!
Henry James is a bit of a legend as well.
We differ here. I had the misfortune of reading A Portrait of a Lady, and I've not yet recovered!

In addition to these, I absolutely love Jane Austen; Mansfield Park and Emma are my favourites.

Spoiler:
Show
Welcome to the soc, btw
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Thank you!

My tastes are fairly eclectic. If I had to name a single novel as my favourite it would probably be Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (who I think has already made an appearance on this thread).

For my degree I'm currently working on the Victorians, and from my reading so far I have a particular fondness for Dickens's Great Expectations, Hard Times, and Bleak House. I'm not a great George Eliot lover, but I enjoyed Silas Marner and The Mill on the Floss. I love Hardy, especially Jude the Obscure and Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and Henry James is a bit of a legend as well. Gerard Manley Hopkins would probably be my favourite Victorian poet.

Outside my degree, I'm a sucker for Russian literature. I'm in awe of Tolstoy (before he went all spiritual, that is), and Dostoyevsky of course (I hope I spelt that correctly!). Solzhenitsyn has been excellent more recently...

I could go on and on about my views on literature, but I think I'll leave it there for now
Heh, anytime

Obviously the lot of you are far and away more extensively read than I... makes me wonder why yo-less chose me to lead this place, sometimes :p:

I'll just stick to me fantasy-type stuff
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
...makes me wonder why yo-less chose me to lead this place, sometimes :p:
You were the obvious choice!
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Obviously the lot of you are far and away more extensively read than I...
*Craghyrax wins!* :king1:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
3 000 005 - 4 :p:
LadyEnglish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Just realised im part of this society Thank you Hello all! Started reading jane eyre today, long time overdue :p: im trying to broaden my reading for uni interviews (English Lit. courses :p:) I want to have actually read the books, not name drop, plus it should help for exams etc. and its just good to read x
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I love Jane Eyre! I've read it three times now. Persevere if you find any of the bits slow or tedious, 'cause it picks up and gets really engrossing by the end.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by LadyEnglish)
Just realised im part of this society Thank you Hello all! Started reading jane eyre today, long time overdue :p: im trying to broaden my reading for uni interviews (English Lit. courses :p:) I want to have actually read the books, not name drop, plus it should help for exams etc. and its just good to read x
Yeah, I accepted your application about a fortnight a go, or so

Welcome to the society.

I've never read Jane Eyre, although - to be perfectly honest - classics and classical authors aren't really my thing :dontknow:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I've never read Jane Eyre, although - to be perfectly honest - classics and classical authors aren't really my thing :dontknow:
Have you tried?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Pride and Prejudice was bad enough. It's ironic, but it's really that book that got me prejudiced against most classics. Middlemarch didn't help, though... that was bad.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pride and Prejudice was bad enough. It's ironic, but it's really that book that got me prejudiced against most classics. Middlemarch didn't help, though... that was bad.
Middlemarch was horrible, but Pride and Prejudice was sheer comedy! I'm surprised you didn't like it!
Spoiler:
Show
Must be a girl-thing
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Comedy!? Where was the comedy? Almost nothing happened in that book :dontknow: I find that sort of thing dull. Even the language was uninspired, really...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (43)
43.88%
Pro-humanity (55)
56.12%

Watched Threads