The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Demon_AS
Comedy!? Where was the comedy? Almost nothing happened in that book :dontknow: I find that sort of thing dull. Even the language was uninspired, really...

I found her writing a bit toungue in cheek.. but there you go.. personal interpretation I guess :s-smilie:
Reply 2941
Heh, you're the english literature genius... I'm just a trashy fantasy/sci fi reader :getmecoat
Demon_AS
Heh, you're the english literature genius... I'm just a trashy fantasy/sci fi reader :getmecoat

Craggy wins :king1:
Reply 2943
3000006 : 5

Not bad... is this the beginning of a remarkable comeback? :p:
Demon_AS
Yeah, I accepted your application about a fortnight a go, or so :smile:

Welcome to the society.

I've never read Jane Eyre, although - to be perfectly honest - classics and classical authors aren't really my thing :dontknow:

well i think its good to have a few under your belt :p: like fantasy, hate the stuff, but thought id give harry p and eragon a go :p: x
yep literature is as blood is to the body, it is our driving force for imagination
Reply 2946
LadyEnglish
well i think its good to have a few under your belt :p: like fantasy, hate the stuff, but thought id give harry p and eragon a go :p: x

Hah, well, does two count as a few? Ok... one and a quarter. Middlemarch was impenetrable. Not that I put much effort into it, I have to admit.

I've yet to read Eragon, actually... the film trailer looks good!
Reply 2947
LadyEnglish

You cannot rate fantasy on Eragon. It should be caste out and burned, along with all who claim it as the best book they've ever read. ....well, perhaps we won't go quite that extreme, but, trust me, it is bad. If you want to know fantasy, then read something like Tad Williams or David Gemmell or Raymond E. Feist. Something decent. i.e. not Eragon. It would be like me reading Middlemarch, and basing all my thoughts of similar literature on that. (I don't know it, but just from what you have been saying about it).
As for HP, I wouldn't classify it as High Fantasy. Fantasy, well, perhaps yes. But it's in an obscure sub-division. And good.

..my twuppence
Sir Esh
You cannot rate fantasy on Eragon. It should be caste out and burned, along with all who claim it as the best book they've ever read. ....well, perhaps we won't go quite that extreme, but, trust me, it is bad. If you want to know fantasy, then read something like Tad Williams or David Gemmell or Raymond E. Feist. Something decent. i.e. not Eragon. It would be like me reading Middlemarch, and basing all my thoughts of similar literature on that. (I don't know it, but just from what you have been saying about it).
As for HP, I wouldn't classify it as High Fantasy. Fantasy, well, perhaps yes. But it's in an obscure sub-division. And good.

..my twuppence

Lol well i wanted to give obvious examples of fantasy :p: Boo fantasy, very hard to relate to and 9/10 quite tedious unless combined with a fantastic imagination. I have to say i am partial to a bit o' Northern Lights :p: x
Reply 2949
Phillip Pullman's stuff is pretty special, granted... but the likes of Gemmel and Feist beat it bloody into the ground :biggrin:

Sorry Lady English, but I'm with Sir Esh on this one... :wink:
Sir Esh

..my twuppence

Well spoken! Three cheers for Sir Esh: *hip hip hurrah* :p:
Sir Esh
It would be like me reading Middlemarch, and basing all my thoughts of similar literature on that...

...you mean like Demon? :angel:
Reply 2952
I'm back from my Cambridge interview.
Went 1/2 awful :frown:

Anyway, now I can start Ender's game :biggrin:
Reply 2953
Haven't been in here in ages. First time I've been on TSR since I got to uni actually. Just thought I'd see how things were going and say Hi to y'all, particularly yo-less.

I'm sure I'll be back with some useful input shortly, give me a chance to get back into the routine!
King Leigh
Haven't been in here in ages. First time I've been on TSR since I got to uni actually. Just thought I'd see how things were going and say Hi to y'all, particularly yo-less.

I'm sure I'll be back with some useful input shortly, give me a chance to get back into the routine!

Hi there.
Yo-less has left TSR due to time constraints.. if you get a moment vote her for 'most missed' and 'best international' member in the TSR awards, won't you?

I see you're at York.. I have an offer.. I might be there next year! :king1: (Politics...)
Ayumi
I'm back from my Cambridge interview.
Went 1/2 awful :frown:

Anyway, now I can start Ender's game :biggrin:

:hello:

Yeh I'm back from mine too.. and the first thing I did on the train back was to pull out Demon's 2cnd 'Dresden Files' book and start reading what I WANTED to read! As I suspected... none of the prep reading I did came up at all.. or was any use :angel: Knowing my current affairs was pretty helpful :rolleyes:
Reply 2956
Craghyrax
Hi there.
Yo-less has left TSR due to time constraints.. if you get a moment vote her for 'most missed' and 'best international' member in the TSR awards, won't you?

I see you're at York.. I have an offer.. I might be there next year! :king1: (Politics...)

See, shows how much I've been staying in touch!
Thanks for the pointer, I'll go vote now!

That's cool, think you'll take the offer?
King Leigh
See, shows how much I've been staying in touch!
Thanks for the pointer, I'll go vote now!

That's cool, think you'll take the offer?

I'm waiting on Durham and Cambridge. If I get Cambridge, then obviously not. If I got Durham, however.. I'd find it a tough decision. York seems lovely and seems to have lovely down to earth people, and the city is really stunning even though the campus is hideous. Its Politics department is 5th in the country and definitely better than Durham's. York's also closer to everyone I know. However.. the whole traditional collegiate aspect of Durham is very appealing and I'm drawn to that. Having said that, I don't want to be stuck at Uni with loads of snobs.. so I dunno.. tough one really! If you have any comments to offer, please do so :wink:
Reply 2958
Craghyrax
I'm waiting on Durham and Cambridge. If I get Cambridge, then obviously not. If I got Durham, however.. I'd find it a tough decision. York seems lovely and seems to have lovely down to earth people, and the city is really stunning even though the campus is hideous. Its Politics department is 5th in the country and definitely better than Durham's. York's also closer to everyone I know. However.. the whole traditional collegiate aspect of Durham is very appealing and I'm drawn to that. Having said that, I don't want to be stuck at Uni with loads of snobs.. so I dunno.. tough one really! If you have any comments to offer, please do so :wink:

How did you interview at Cambridge go?:biggrin:
You won't be surrounded by all snobs. The people I met at Cambridge during my 2 days stay were all down to earth and friendly. I didn't meet a single snob there except some applicants..

York is wonderful, I went to the open day and food is lovely.:biggrin:
Ayumi
How did you interview at Cambridge go?:biggrin:
You won't be surrounded by all snobs. The people I met at Cambridge during my 2 days stay were all down to earth and friendly. I didn't meet a single snob there except some applicants..

York is wonderful, I went to the open day and food is lovely.:biggrin:

Lol. I've been to Cambridge a few times, Durham and York once. York is nice (don't know about the food) Durham was amazing! I'm perfectly content that the Cambridge lot aren't snobs, but I really do hear such stories about some people at Durham. And I met an absolute pill when I was there at an Open Day (I shared a room with her..)

Um.. my interview was a hang of alot better than the one at Trinity Hall last year. They based it entirely on the essay I had to write for them. Having said that, I talked too fast and didn't think carefully enough before answering.. so I probably sounded like a scatterbrained airhead. Nonetheless.. it was ok, thanks :smile:
Your's was... so-so? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending