Turn on thread page Beta

The Literary Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing for your gap year, Ronove?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Back in November I flew to Germany on my own and stayed with my old exchange family for two weeks. I helped/observed in the local primary school too, and made friends with the people who ran the after school club! One of them taught me some Polish!
    I was going to go to Peru for 6 weeks and work with street children but I've had to cancel that. I may go interrailing on my own later on, or at least have a couple of short adventures. I'm mainly using the time to read and stuff, it's good. I may also get a job at some point if I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Awwh :hugs:

Where do you have offers from/where are you waiting to hear from? Geography right?
    Yes Geography. Nice to see you've remembered me!:five:

I have heard from all my Uni's for some while now. Only have 3 offers from Southampton, Sheffield and Leicester Uni. Been to Southampton- didn't like it but didn't dislike it- another trip is in order I feel. Went on post-app open day to Sheffield this weds that's just gone. Hated the city, Uni and ppl. So not good. Am going to Leicester post app open day tomorrow so an ear;y start. However, from research and things before, I doubt I'll like this Uni or place either. I'm such a failure.

It's good that Ronove's joining/posting- she's really nice.

ReputationRep:
    Its ok. They rejected me too! :hugs:
    They don't know what they're missing out on!:p: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I could be taking a gap year myself now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cosmosophia)

I have heard from all my Uni's for some while now. Only have 3 offers from Southampton, Sheffield and Leicester Uni. Been to Southampton- didn't like it but didn't dislike it- another trip is in order I feel. Went on post-app open day to Sheffield this weds that's just gone. Hated the city, Uni and ppl. So not good. Am going to Leicester post app open day tomorrow so an ear;y start. However, from research and things before, I doubt I'll like this Uni or place either. I'm such a failure.
    You've done well to get offers from those Unies.. including Sheffield. I'm sorry you didn't like it, though. Why do you feel a failure? :confused:
    Yes very much so

ReputationRep:
    They don't know what they're missing out on!:p: :hugs:
    Cheers. Likewise

ReputationRep:
    Back in November I flew to Germany on my own and stayed with my old exchange family for two weeks. I helped/observed in the local primary school too, and made friends with the people who ran the after school club! One of them taught me some Polish!
    I was going to go to Peru for 6 weeks and work with street children but I've had to cancel that. I may go interrailing on my own later on, or at least have a couple of short adventures. I'm mainly using the time to read and stuff, it's good. I may also get a job at some point if I can.
    So you're living at home with your family? Sounds nice! I'd also like to go back to Germany and visit my friends this year, but I'll have to see what I end up having money for
    What sort of job will you try to get?

ReputationRep:

Awwh

You know, if you don't like your choices you can decline them and go through Extra. You can check Extra courses on UCAS course search (they'll have a little x next to them in the list) from mid-March, and you can look before deciding what to do with your other offers. I almost did that last year. And if you can't find anywhere you like through that or Clearing (which is likely to have less choice than Extra) you could always take a gap and reapply. I'm extremely glad I did, even though I didn't get into you-know-where.

ReputationRep:
    So you're living at home with your family? Sounds nice! I'd also like to go back to Germany and visit my friends this year, but I'll have to see what I end up having money for
    What sort of job will you try to get?
    I don't know, I'm sure there are a few jobs I'd like, but all I can think of right now is working in a bookshop. :p:

ReputationRep:
    And if you can't find anywhere you like through that or Clearing (which is likely to have less choice than Extra) you could always take a gap and reapply. I'm extremely glad I did, even though I didn't get into you-know-where.
    I also think that's a good idea! In 05 I applied for deferred entry to quite a few places, but I didn't get into you-know-where which was the only place I really wanted to go. I'm on a gap year now, and on my second round of applying I got in. Also often Uni's take students who already have their grades on slightly more lenient terms than those who don't have final results because the former are less of a gamble

ReputationRep:
    You've done well to get offers from those Unies.. including Sheffield. I'm sorry you didn't like it, though. Why do you feel a failure? :confused:

Yes very much so
    Thanks. It's just I didn't get first or second choice of Uni offers and a list of regrets and remorse that's miles high. But I'm working on getting to where and how I want to be...

"All I need is time
    A moment that is mine
    While I'm in-between".
    Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman- Britney Spears

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. Likewise
    Hehe- I was referring to the both of us when I said that!:p: *Hangs modesty out to dry: :angel: *.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, I'm sure there are a few jobs I'd like, but all I can think of right now is working in a bookshop. :p:
    That would be fun if its a good bookshop. I used to work in a coffeeshop like Starbucks that was joined to a bookshop chain, and the folk who worked in the bookshop were such fun!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe- I was referring to the both of us when I said that!:p: *Hangs modesty out to dry: :angel: *.
    Glad to hear it. I remember I was very disappointed when it happened!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. It's just I didn't get first or second choice of Uni offers and a list of regrets and remorse that's miles high. But I'm working on getting to where and how I want to be...
    I know exactly how you feel, honest! My first time applying I didn't get where I wanted to, and I was so disillusioned by that. But honestly.. I'm sure wherever you go will grow on you! That's what I had to tell myself.

ReputationRep:
    Awwh

You know, if you don't like your choices you can decline them and go through Extra. You can check Extra courses on UCAS course search (they'll have a little x next to them in the list) from mid-March, and you can look before deciding what to do with your other offers. I almost did that last year. And if you can't find anywhere you like through that or Clearing (which is likely to have less choice than Extra) you could always take a gap and reapply. I'm extremely glad I did, even though I didn't get into you-know-where.
    Really, are you? Well the only 2 Uni's I wanted to actually go to apart from Southampton were the 2 that rejected me! So you see the predicament!:p: I think that I may just have one Conditional firm as Southampton and then either pull out and take a year out and reapply again next year or pull out sooner or look through Extra. But I don't want to go to anything that's in Extra or something. And I'm definitely not going through Clearing, no offence to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm definitely not going through Clearing, no offence to anyone.
    I refused too!

ReputationRep:
    I also think that's a good idea! In 05 I applied for deferred entry to quite a few places, but I didn't get into you-know-where which was the only place I really wanted to go. I'm on a gap year now, and on my second round of applying I got in. Also often Uni's take students who already have their grades on slightly more lenient terms than those who don't have final results because the former are less of a gamble
    That's good to know. 'Twas what I was hoping about the grades thing. Not that that might impress them enough anyhow.:s:

ReputationRep:
    'Twas what I was hoping about the grades thing. Not that that might impress them enough anyhow.:s:
    Don't look at it that way. I think it was my personal statement and the work that I submitted and the interview that got me there NOT the grades! If you're confident enough, and bring that across, I really think they respond to it. Honestly my grades were poor.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.