The Literary Society Watch

Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I spent today on trains. I travelled from Mont Genevre (France) to Oulx (Italy). Buying tickets was a nightmare because I don't speak Italian. I would have travelled the French side, except this route was faster and only had one change So from Oulx I travelled to Milan, and then after an annoying hour and a half in Milan station, trying to choose food for lunch (picked a panini smothered in mayonnaise :puke: because I didn't understand the menu :banghead: at least the cappuccino was class ), trying to operate a dodgy payphone, and standing in a long queue just to speak to somebody to confirm that the 'Genivre aero' was indeed 'Geneva'.. not some other Italian town (they have Genoa, ok! :mad:) I then travelled to Geneva. My point is... it was about 9hrs travel minimum :confused: and I'm now nearly half way through Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange. (It's as long as LOTR) Its actually a very intrigueing and absorbing novel I recommend Susannah Clarke!
Ronove
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oooh how come you live in Mont Genevre and how come you were travelling to Geneva (at least one of those questions must be a bit retarded but I have no idea what you're doing in either place). Are you like, a Eurobrat or something? :p: Sounds exciting anyway.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ronove)
Oooh how come you live in Mont Genevre and how come you were travelling to Geneva (at least one of those questions must be a bit retarded but I have no idea what you're doing in either place). Are you like, a Eurobrat or something? :p: Sounds exciting anyway.
If I'm any kind of brat its a multi-hemispheral brat :p: I'm british (born and bred) but I grew up in South Africa. (my parents are globetrotters, and didn't see having kids as a sufficient reason to desist :rolleyes:) I moved back to England in 2004. I have been in Mont Genevre working as a seasonnaire for some of the ski season. I've been cleaning chalets and working in a coffeeshop, but mainly learning to ski and hogging the internet. I decided to visit my cousin and his wife and kids who live in Switzerland while I was in the area. I'll be going back to Mont Genevre in a week.
Oh.. and Demon has a similar story :p: *takes Demon down with her*
Ronove
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
That's reeeeeaally cool! :eek2:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ronove)
That's reeeeeaally cool! :eek2:
Cheers :cool:
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ronove knows my story And if she doesn't, it's in my profile, so... *shrugs*
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
A big welcome to EmmaJane as the newest member of this soc! :party:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:hello: EmmaJane
Sir Esh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hello everyone. How's life? sorry I haven't been around for a while!
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ban him! :p:
Elements
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sir Esh)
Hello everyone. How's life? sorry I haven't been around for a while!
How have you been then? Have you ever been to Geneva or Zurich before? Just looking at your location.
Sir Esh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been better. And worse. Yeah, I fly into Zurich practically every time I go back to Switzerland, and occasionally go in to Zurich anyway. Geneva less, though. It's right the opposite side of the country... I mean, yes, it's a small country, but it's still an effort to get there, and I don't really have an incentive.

... you're looking at my location. . *scary*
lol :p:
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've been better. And worse. Yeah, I fly into Zurich practically every time I go back to Switzerland, and occasionally go in to Zurich anyway. Geneva less, though. It's right the opposite side of the country... I mean, yes, it's a small country, but it's still an effort to get there, and I don't really have an incentive.

... you're looking at my location. . *scary*
lol :p:
Lol, your location is on every one of your posts at the top! That's all that I looked at!:p:

It's just that I'm going to Geneva and Zurich, Switzerland soon. Geneva to the UN, Red Cross and maybe NATO too HQ and Zurich as a sustainable city. Are they nice? Have you been to those places before? What's the railways like in Switzerland? Is security good for baggage there for hikers using rail and that?
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Elements)
It's just that I'm going to Geneva and Zurich, Switzerland soon. Geneva to the UN, Red Cross and maybe NATO too HQ and Zurich as a sustainable city. Are they nice? Have you been to those places before? What's the railways like in Switzerland? Is security good for baggage there for hikers using rail and that?
I'm in Switzerland too

Are you going as part of a programme, that you get to visit UN, Red Cross and NATO?
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
I'm in Switzerland too

Are you going as part of a programme, that you get to visit UN, Red Cross and NATO?
Cool!:five: I'm going as part of a school trip. With ppl I don't like and ppl I don't know. It'll be my first trip abroad too! Am quite scared. :ninja: Have to carry baggage around all the time apparently so I guess deciding what to take that is necessary and lightweight could be interesting!:p: Am going to Switzerland at the end of the month and into early April for a few days. Where are you in Switzerland then? Have you been to any of those places that I mentioned or know about what it's like by rail there and security with baggage there etc? Am also going to see a glacier to learn about alpine ecosystem management.
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
What's the shopping and prices like there too?
Sir Esh
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't actually use the train that much. But they are 100% efficient and effective, yet sadly only 99.9% on time, nowadays. :p: Security is good; you shouldn't really need to bother much about it. Just take it with you on the train, and leave it by the door, there's space there for luggage. I'm about 40 mins from Zurich towards Germany, so the opposite of from Geneva.

Prices are probably about the same as here in England, although it depends what you're buying. Milk and meat is more expensive, I think, but in general it's about the same. Depending on where you are, it might even be worth popping across the border. Germany is usually a bit cheaper, for example.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!!
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Elements)
Cool!:five: I'm going as part of a school trip. With ppl I don't like and ppl I don't know. It'll be my first trip abroad too! Am quite scared. :ninja: Have to carry baggage around all the time apparently so I guess deciding what to take that is necessary and lightweight could be interesting!:p: Am going to Switzerland at the end of the month and into early April for a few days. Where are you in Switzerland then? Have you been to any of those places that I mentioned or know about what it's like by rail there and security with baggage there etc? Am also going to see a glacier to learn about alpine ecosystem management.
I'm in Geneva. Its very safe.. but that's not to say be stupid and lax. I doubt you'll have any problems. It is an expensive country, though.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
I've finished my stockpile of Dresden books

It's so much emptier without them.
Elements
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't actually use the train that much. But they are 100% efficient and effective, yet sadly only 99.9% on time, nowadays. :p: Security is good; you shouldn't really need to bother much about it. Just take it with you on the train, and leave it by the door, there's space there for luggage. I'm about 40 mins from Zurich towards Germany, so the opposite of from Geneva.

Prices are probably about the same as here in England, although it depends what you're buying. Milk and meat is more expensive, I think, but in general it's about the same. Depending on where you are, it might even be worth popping across the border. Germany is usually a bit cheaper, for example.

I'm sure you'll really enjoy it!!
I know this probably sounds really stupid, but to pop across the border, do you need a passport and that's all?:p: Can you pop over the border by foot or train? Lol. Are Geneva and Zurich near the German border then? I thought Geneva was near the French border and Zurich near the German one- is that right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1438)
79.71%
Leave (366)
20.29%

Watched Threads