The Literary Society Watch

Psycho Gerbil
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by staylor)
But surely you agree, Lirael was much better than Sam.
Lirael was a much stronger character than Sam, who was a bit of wuss and out of his depth at the start of Lirael, but he gets better eventually!
Catty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
woo, was my birthday, got Donna Tartt's The Secret History and The Little Friend, and 2 copies of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell -- was well chuffed! This'll be my reading for the beginning of the summer
mia04
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by xx_Becca_xx)
am half way through the de vinci code and loving it so far, any one else read it? !
i read it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was brilliant!!
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I never got round to it before my copy disappeared .
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I never got round to it before my copy disappeared .
How did it disappear?
Scheherazade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm still on 'Sabriel' and I'm not really into it right now. Does it get better? I'm at the point where Sabriel is about to go to the Old Kingdom.
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ayaan)
I'm still on 'Sabriel' and I'm not really into it right now. Does it get better? I'm at the point where Sabriel is about to go to the Old Kingdom.
In my opinion yes, it does get better.
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
How did it disappear?
This is ever so slightly embarrasing, but I was mesing around with some physics equations when I came across a problem which intersted me. It is one of the laws of energy that energy cannot be created or destroyed - only transferred (although I believe that there is a possible creation circumstance). I decided to test this by creating a machine to destroy energy, and began to test it on a paperclip. To some extent, it worked as the paperclip disappeared. Unfortunately, only an infitessimally small amount of the paperclip mass was completely destroyed. The rest was converted to energy in accordance with the formula E=mc², or energy produced = the mass of the object (in this case a small paperclip) multiplied by the speed of light squared, or 300000000² (if you're interested this is how atomic powerplants work but on an atomic rather than a paperclip scale). Obviously, even with a mass of perhaps 0.001 kg, this is an extremely large amount of energy. I had expected this possibility and had built in the function to absorb and distribute this energy about the normal electrical grid of my surrounding area in place of normal electricity. To my dismay however, due to my neglect some of the electrical energy produced increased the power to my device causing it to expand the target area around itself. This area included part of my floor and the Da Vinci code. These items were transferred into energy like the paperclip, but produced an extremely large amount more. I managed to disconnect the machine before the target area increased more but the electrical energy had already been transferred to the surrounding area. It was much more than I had predicted beforehand (due to the feedback) so it caoused damage to power distribution and storage facilities all around the area. This was the root cause of the long power cut in my area recently, an ocurrence which Constantine and Gregorian will be able to confirm.

That is how my book disappeared.
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yo-less)
yes,we know you know what E=MC² stands for.so do i,and have known it since i was 12,much to the shock of my sci teacher.when i told her how the mass increased she nearly fainted in shock :eek:

there!my turn to brag
Then you'll understand how all that energy was produced. It was most unfortunate as I never got to read the book .
ScaryFairy2
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
can I join?
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Then you'll understand how all that energy was produced. It was most unfortunate as I never got to read the book .
:eek: I dunno if I believe you!!
lirael
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
psycho gerbil how are you
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
:eek: I dunno if I believe you!!
Well it fits all the information you have and is the only possible explanation for my book disappearing.
louinwonderland
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Have FINALLY finished these stuupid exams... can finally READ properly again!!! YAY!!! So, erm, can I join the lit soc?

(We'll disguise the fact I've been reading Roald Dahl for about a month because it was the only thing my scrambled brain could take )
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well it fits all the information you have and is the only possible explanation for my book disappearing.
Ok, ok, I believe you.........kinda........:p:
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by louinwonderland)
Have FINALLY finished these stuupid exams... can finally READ properly again!!! YAY!!! So, erm, can I join the lit soc?

(We'll disguise the fact I've been reading Roald Dahl for about a month because it was the only thing my scrambled brain could take )
Sure, put it in your sig. Unfortunately yo-less is either playing half life 2 or annoyed because she isnt right now, so she might be slightly delayed in consecrating your position.
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
Sure, put it in your sig. Unfortunately yo-less is either playing half life 2 or annoyed because she isnt right now, so she might be slightly delayed in consecrating your position.
staylor you know me so well
unfortunately i hardly played in the weekend cos i was out the whole of saturday and on sunday i read The Opal Deception and was at my grandparants.but its a great game

do not fret,i shall slay the aliens!!!*marches off*
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm joining!
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by louinwonderland)

(Original post by ScaryFairy2)
can I join?
yes and yes.please add that you are part of the literary society to your signature and post regularly.thank you
*bows and departs*
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Shes only joking - you dont really have to put it in your sig, post regularly or bow and depart if you dont want to. It would just be nice if you did.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (552)
80.58%
Leave (133)
19.42%

Watched Threads