The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Demon_AS
Heh, I knew I appointed Craggo as co-leader for a reason :biggrin: Nice job, Craggo. :top: :king1:

It was... nothing? :p: :flute:

Spoiler

Reply 3381
True, but hey, you're part of my staff, so I need to keep up the morale and all that :p:
What books are you guys reading at the mo; if any?
Reply 3383
Current reading The Summoner by... somoene. No idea who, it's a new author. I also picked up Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl and the Eternity Code from Heathrow, so I could read it in case I finished my other book. I didn't read on the flight, though, so...
Demon_AS
True, but hey, you're part of my staff, so I need to keep up the morale and all that :p:

Quite right ;yes;
Epicurus
What books are you guys reading at the mo; if any?

Mr Norrel and Jonathan Strange by Susannah Clarke. Absolutely fantastic.. and best of all: as long as LOTR :king1:

Will def be looking out for SC in the future ;yes;

You Epicurus?
Reply 3386
Saif.
At the moment I'm reading The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. I've just finished A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. thought it was excellent. I've not seen the movie by Kubrick though.
Demon_AS
Current reading The Summoner by... somoene. No idea who, it's a new author. I also picked up Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl and the Eternity Code from Heathrow, so I could read it in case I finished my other book. I didn't read on the flight, though, so...

Artemis fowl is an excellent series. They one of my fav childrens' books . Though, it's been so long i've read them I don't remember the storylines. ;no;
Epicurus
At the moment I'm reading The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller. I've just finished A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess. thought it was excellent. I've not seen the movie by Kubrick though.

I did C.O for E.Lit :five: I agree it was excellent, although I have to say I don't find myself 'enjoying' tragic and depressing stories ;no;
Well, in the end the protagonist Alex in CO regained his moral sense and chose from thereafter to be good. So not as tragic in the last chapter after all. However, if you read the American version, in which th last chapter was cut because it was to optimistic then you'll find Alex continues in his nefarious ways.
Nah.. original of course. And a happy ending does not eradicate a plot from depressing characteristics :dontknow: Twas an intelligent and penetrating text.. so respect for that..It served its function, and I don't think 'enjoyment' was what AB was hoping to inspire in his readers :p:
I would agree depressing in most parts but thoroughly readable.
Epicurus
I would agree depressing in most parts but thoroughly readable.

Readable indeed. And maybe I should amend my aspersions over how enjoyable it was. There were fantastic layers of subtlety and dark humour :laugh:

Can't say anyone in my E.Lit class found it 'readable' though..:banghead:

Gah.. I went to Chav college
Chav college? Is that in worcester? If it is, I know a few old boys from there.
Epicurus
Chav college? Is that in worcester?

:laugh:

Andover* :s-smilie:

Its really cool to have someone I can discuss books with Epicurus :five: I know that's the point of this soc.. but people read such diff books it doesn't often happen! ;no;
That's quite alright Craghyrax. :hugs:
Epicurus
That's quite alright Craghyrax. :hugs:

:cool:

Is your Cam place unconditional?
As for Jonathan strange what is it like? It's a 'young adult' book right?
Craghyrax
:cool:

Is your Cam place unconditional?

Yep it is, did my A levels last year at ChavCollege also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending