Turn on thread page Beta

The Literary Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Craghyrax; why SPS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epicurus)
    As for Jonathan strange what is it like? It's a 'young adult' book right?
    Gosh no! Its really detailed and has the feel of a classic (Austen/Dickens NOT Homer/Socrates :p:) So it goes rather slowly.. but is very absorbing. Complex plot with very well developed characters. Its about the 'rebirth of magic' in England in early 19th century, and mostly centres round the lives of the two magicians referred to in the title. It has a mild underlying wit too ;yes;

ReputationRep:
    Yep it is, did my A levels last year at ChavCollege also.
    Condolences ;console;
    Spoiler:
    Show
    On the positive side though, I think I've been carved into kick-ass PS Helper material after all my time helping my mates out with their essays in E.Lit :king1: Bless'm :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Gosh no! Its really detailed and has the feel of a classic (Austen/Dickens NOT Homer/Socrates :p:) So it goes rather slowly.. but is very absorbing. Complex plot with very well developed characters. Its about the 'rebirth of magic' in England in early 19th century, and mostly centres round the lives of the two magicians referred to in the title. It has a mild underlying wit too ;yes;
    Sounds a read. i will buy it eventually after I've read the ton of books on my shelf that are still unread by me.

ReputationRep:
    Craghyrax; why SPS?
    :ahhhhh: Its like one of those 'Supplementary Questionnaires' :afraid:

Ok.. I applied for Natsci last year (biosciences generally) I've always been really interested in international affairs, and wanted to be involved in something on a global scale.. eg third world development. I thought Bio might be a good entry point..
    When I was in high school my fave subjects were History and Bio.. so I was kind of caught neatly between the two. However.. going the science route was a real step out of the norm for me. I'm primarily a human sciency/literary/languages type.. essays and writing is more me than maths or experimentation. So leading up to the last minute I realised I wasn't feeling comfortable about studying Bio (and I got rejected by Cam for it.. and Cam was the only place I really wanted to be) So I ended up admitting defeat and going with what I knew I'd love.. even though it really doesn't score high on the 'useful degree' list. :dontknow: I have to do it cos I love it, and it will be 'me'.. and its probably a far better route into third world development/international affairs/research or even journalism.. than Bio would have been.

Sorry.. You asked :ninja: And my SPAG flew out the window 'cos I'm caught between several convos..:trytofly:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a read. i will buy it eventually after I've read the ton of books on my shelf that are still unread by me.
    Lol I may pester you for some recommendations soon. I'm running out :eek:

Oh and three cheers for unconditional :bumps: Means we may actually meet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    :ahhhhh: Its like one of those 'Supplementary Questionnaires' :afraid:

Ok.. I applied for Natsci last year (biosciences generally) I've always been really interested in international affairs, and wanted to be involved in something on a global scale.. eg third world development. I thought Bio might be a good entry point..
    When I was in high school my fave subjects were History and Bio.. so I was kind of caught neatly between the two. However.. going the science route was a real step out of the norm for me. I'm primarily a human sciency/literary/languages type.. essays and writing is more me than maths or experimentation. So leading up to the last minute I realised I wasn't feeling comfortable about studying Bio (and I got rejected by Cam for it.. and Cam was the only place I really wanted to be) So I ended up admitting defeat and going with what I knew I'd love.. even though it really doesn't score high on the 'useful degree' list. :dontknow: I have to do it cos I love it, and it will be 'me'.. and its probably a far better route into third world development/international affairs/research or even journalism.. than Bio would have been.

Sorry.. You asked :ninja: And my SPAG flew out the window 'cos I'm caught between several convos..:trytofly:

SPS is a very useful degree and very competitive too. Well done on the place. If it was me, I would have chosen SPS over Bio any day.

ReputationRep:
    SPS is a very useful degree and very competitive too. Well done on the place. If it was me, I would have chosen SPS over Bio any day.
    :blush: Cheers

Dude, I'm falling asleep! Its 2:30 in France Have a great evening; I'll see you soon.. :vroam:

ReputationRep:
    Bye -see you later.

ReputationRep:
    Artemis fowl is an excellent series. They one of my fav childrens' books . Though, it's been so long i've read them I don't remember the storylines. ;no;
    :five:

You ought to read 'em again.

Oh, and nice one... you're on 666 posts :evil:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    ...you're on 666 posts :evil:
    Always fun

ReputationRep:
    well the not anymore I'm not...Damn wasted it

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to Jern; Eleventy First member :five:

ReputationRep:
    What A levels did you do, Epicurus?

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy, Politics, Economics, General Studies, Critical thinking, English Languange and Literature combined.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy, Politics, Economics, General Studies, Critical thinking, English Languange and Literature combined.
    :coma:!!! :eek:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..and where did the lovely avatar go?..:bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Omg.. I can't believe I'm going to Uni with scary people like you! :rofl:

*cough* :ninja:
    ANYWAYS...

My point was..which texts did you study for Eng?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    :flute:

ReputationRep:
    oh ok...
    color purple - alice walker, King Lear - Shakespeare, Kazuo Ishiguro - remains of the day

Craghyrax fear me not, I won't bite :p:

ReputationRep:
    oh ok...
    color purple - alice walker, King Lear - Shakespeare, Kazuo Ishiguro - remains of the day
    Was that just second year? Or did you have fewer books because you combined Lang and Lit?

The LangLit class at my college did the Colour of Purple and King Lear out of those. I was so glad I took Lit instead.. simply because I really wasn't interested enough to spend ages learning about forms of writing and grammar.. or compiling any pieces of writing. Don't get me wrong; I love writing..but not when there are guidelines/techniques/restrictions imposed onto it..:hmpf:
    Anyway.. I had: AS A Clockwork Orange, Othello, Danny Abse (poetry) and The Picture of Dorian Gray (Wilde) A2 Metaphysical Poetry (:puke:) Poor Things (Alisdair Gray) The Wasp Factory (Iain Banks) and Dr Faustus (Marlowe)
    I was disappointed we had to do Shakespeare's tragedies rather than comedies. I loved Dr Faustus.

Craghyrax fear me not, I won't bite :p:
    That's really quite generous after some of the stuff I've said :p:

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Craghyrax]Was that just second year? Or did you have fewer books because you combined Lang and Lit?

The LangLit class at my college did the Colour of Purple and King Lear out of those. I was so glad I took Lit instead.. simply because I really wasn't interested enough to spend ages learning about forms of writing and grammar.. or compiling any pieces of writing. Don't get me wrong; I love writing..but not when there are guidelines/techniques/restrictions imposed onto it..:hmpf:
    Anyway.. I had: AS A Clockwork Orange, Othello, Danny Abse (poetry) and The Picture of Dorian Gray (Wilde) A2 Metaphysical Poetry (:puke:) Poor Things (Alisdair Gray) The Wasp Factory (Iain Banks) and Dr Faustus (Marlowe)
    I was disappointed we had to do Shakespeare's tragedies rather than comedies. I loved Dr Faustus.

Yeah i regret doing lang and lit as well. I wish i'd done just literature. as the months passed into the course I knew I'd made the wrong decision. Lan/lit was as you said too restrictive in its scope. We had to write exactly three paragraghs on the linguistic side of a piece; one para on sentence structure, one para on the words, and another on someother linguistic feature. Then 3 paras on the themes conveyed. They made it very mechanical and sucked the life out of the subject for me. We had fewer books because it was combined. the pic of dorian gray is one book that i plan to read in the near future. Any good?

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.