The Literary Society Watch

sarcastic pratchett fan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A agree with you on the above: its the limits of humanity's freedom which is depressing in both 1984 and ACO.

Has anyone else been reading Simon Scarrow (Eagle serries) recently? It's not exactly complex but I like them as 'blood n guts' relief from the heavier stuff.
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
I'm in need of a nice light bloodless fiction, possibly a comedy, which I could read before I go to bed and when I have nothing better to do. Suggestions?
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Discworld, obviously
ahq
Report 10 years ago
Hmm... Thought you might say that. Anything else?
Sianeh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by harr)
I think I meant it as a rhetorical question, though I can't really remember and certainly didn't make it very clear. You've both given the rigth answer though, so it doesn't really matter. My point was that violent acts in a book may shock and disturb me, but they don't depress me in the way that the idea of the degradation of humanity by reducing freedom to think is meant to do that in most Dystopian literature (I say "meant to do" because the book needs to be well written for it to work and the reader needs to have an ideology that is similar in some aspects to that of the author).

Sorry about my phrasing of some of my sentences; I really need to learn how to write properly.
I agree, and the part of the 'cure'/punishment that I thought was the worst is that he couldn't listen to Beethoven without feeling sick. I don't know whether it's just because I love music but to have my favourite music make me feel physically ill really got to me! :coma:
sarcastic pratchett fan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you tried:
Terry Pratchett's Good Omens
Douglas Adams
Neil Gaiman ?

However, if that stuff is not you're kind of thing then you must read Ben Elton's 'Post Mortem' and 'Dead Famous'. These fail your 'bloodless' criterion, as they both deal with some pretty gross murders but they are also hilarious whilst making a point about society. These two are must reads imo.
ahq
Report 10 years ago
*scribbles*
Ben Elton (I'm sure I've heard his name before).....Douglas Adams......Neil Gaiman....thanks!
Its okay if they're bloody and hilarious, I just don't wan't something that might give me nightmares or keep me awake in cold sweat.
sarcastic pratchett fan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Um, well in 'Post Mortem', the first body we come across has hundreds of stab wounds from a compass dipped in anti-coagulant, leading to him dieing from loiss of blood from tiny pin pricks. Other people have been dumped in acid etc but I don't want to give too much away. It's very funny but if this sort of thing disturbs you, don't read whilst eating.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Abiraleft)
*scribbles*
Ben Elton (I'm sure I've heard his name before).....Douglas Adams......Neil Gaiman....thanks!
Its okay if they're bloody and hilarious, I just don't wan't something that might give me nightmares or keep me awake in cold sweat.
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card. Entirely bloodless.
ahq
Report 10 years ago
Great, thanks!

Um, well in 'Post Mortem', the first body we come across has hundreds of stab wounds from a compass dipped in anti-coagulant, leading to him dieing from loiss of blood from tiny pin pricks. Other people have been dumped in acid etc but I don't want to give too much away. It's very funny but if this sort of thing disturbs you, don't read whilst eating.
What about the language? Is is extremely graphically disturbingly described?
sarcastic pratchett fan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The language isn't that bad - it's just the whole image. If you want less gore but similar hilarity, Dead Famous is good to start with. If you like that you could then move onto Post Mortem.
Tom
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card. Entirely bloodless.
(She's joking) [You're joking, right, Craggy? :p:]

Spoiler:
Show
It's got a scene where a 6-year-old beats another slightly older kid to death! Although admittedly we don't find out for sure he actually killed (as opposed to injured) him until later on, but even so, it's not a scene you can call entirely bloodless!

Good book, though

(yes, still lurking in this thread :^^: )
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Tom)
(She's joking) [You're joking, right, Craggy? :p:]

Spoiler:
Show
It's got a scene where a 6-year-old beats another slightly older kid to death! Although admittedly we don't find out for sure he actually killed (as opposed to injured) him until later on, but even so, it's not a scene you can call entirely bloodless!

Good book, though

(yes, still lurking in this thread :^^: )
I'd forgotten about that Overall, though, its not the sort of story you think of as particularly violent and bloody, or scary.
Spoiler:
Show
That's :^^: to you!!! :hmmm:
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Richenda: Yeah, Dave lent that to me. Tell him it's on my desk, and available for collection whenever James wishes to come and pick it up .
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
Richenda: Yeah, Dave lent that to me. Tell him it's on my desk, and available for collection whenever James wishes to come and pick it up .
Was it any good?
Spoiler:
Show
Oh..and have you heard any Kaki King? I've just been getting into it recently and really like it..
ahq
Report 10 years ago
Ugh, kids beating other kids to death reminds me of that movie, Haloween.
I watched that first scene and then I just walked off. I couldn't sleep that night.

Is Good Omens the one about the end of the world and the halfway-fallen angel?
sarcastic pratchett fan
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes. Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ugh, kids beating other kids to death reminds me of that movie, Haloween.
I watched that first scene and then I just walked off. I couldn't sleep that night.
Take it from me, Enders Game is galaxies away from horror :rolleyes: Seriously - I despise horror. I'm about the pickiest person on the planet when it comes to:
a) sad endings
b) violence and gore
c) anything vaguely scary
d) anything weird or psychological

Is Good Omens the one about the end of the world and the halfway-fallen angel?
Yep
ahq
Report 10 years ago
I'll look for it then. Thanks!
I've gone through the first few chpters of good omens then. I thought it was brilliant, I might read that.
After this year (my all important last year of school) is over, I might try Dosteovsky.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Good Omens is fantastic
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1335)
79.65%
Leave (341)
20.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed