Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hahahahaha, nicely done!

The Light blind my eyes, I can't wait .
geetar
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't posted here for aaaaaaaaaages...
channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The shadow take you...
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
:top:

Man, I really need some books to read... In a few days, though, the book I've been waiting for is coming out! Princep's Fury, by Jim Butcher.

It's. Going. To. Be. Awesome.
channy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I haven't heard of it! Is it a sequel? What is it about?! Light, tell me!
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Jim Butcher = author.

Series = Alera Codex.

Book# = 5

Place = Conclusion.

The rest you'll have to find out by reading . Take my word for it: you won't be disappointed.
channy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I might have to :0

*goes on amazon*
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
I think you do .

You'll thank me afterwards lol. Just ask Craghyrax!
channy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Have you read any of Tad William's books? I read them when I was..14 or something? I still remember them being ruddy awesome! I might have to revisit them again...Here's an excerpt I've had since I read it:

'Camaris still stood as if frozen, his fingers splayed atop Deornoth's cairn. At last he turned and looked down at himself, then slowly raised the horn and stared at it for a long time, as though it were something never before seen on the green earth. He closed his eyes, lifted it carefully to his lips with shaking hand, and blew.
The horn sounded. It's first thin note grew and strengthened, becoming louder and louder until it seemed to shake the very air, a shout that seemed to have the clash of steel and the thunder of hooves in it. Camaris, his eyes squeezed shut, sucked in a deep breath and blew again, louder this time. The piercing call winded out across the hillside and reverberated in the valley; the echoes chased themselves through the air. Then the noise died away.
Simon discovered he had his hands over his ears. Many others in the company had done the same.
Camaris was staring at the horn again. He lifted up his face to those who watched him. Something had changed. His eyes had become deeper somewhow, sadder: there was a glint of awareness that had not been there before. His mouth worked striving for speech, but no sound came out except a rasping hiss. Camaris looked down at the hilt of Thorn. With slow and deliberate movements, he drew it from the scabbard and held it up before him, a line of glinting black that seemed to slice right through the light of the failing afternoon. Tiny drops of misty rain gathered on the blade.
"I...should have known...that my...torment was not yet finished...my guilt not forgiven." His voice was painfully dry and rough,his speech strangely formal. "Oh, my God, my loving and terrible God. I am humble before You. I shall serve out my punishment."
The old man fell to his knees before the astonished company. For a long time, he said nothing, but seemed to be praying. Tears ran down his cheeks, merging with the raindrops to make his face shine in the slanthing sunlight. Finally, Camaris clambered to his feet and allowed Isgrimnur and Josua to lead him away.'
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Nice passage.

I tried reading Tad Williams... but I have to admit, I got bored out of my skull. It was a black book with a golden holographic image on the front, and it was about cyberspace etc. I felt it was really dull .
channy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ohhh yeah that's his most recent series. Yeah they're no way as good as his late 80's series Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. That's up there with The Wheel of Time.

I remember the first book in the Otherland series was not that bad. It's about a guy with progeria (accelerated aging) who escapes into cyberspace (they have more advanced tech) but stumbles on a plot by an evil organisation of taking over the world. He was the #1 character on this virtual reality game I think...gets banned for some reason, stumbles into an underground hacker's haven for hacking gods.

It started off pretty well, but not sure what happened after around 2/3 books as I lost interest. Might have to finish it...

Here's a quick summary:

The story begins when young Stephen Sulaweyo, a boy living in the South African city of Durban falls into a coma while on the net. His older sister Irene (nicknamed Renie) investigates what has happened and starts discovering strange goings-on in the net, among them the constant reappearance of a mysterious golden city. With the help of her bushman technology student !Xabbu, Martine Desroubins, a French woman she meets over the net at the advice of her mentor, Dr. Susan van Bleeck, and the last surviving technician who created Otherland, Singh, she breaks into the Otherland network to reach the city. Once inside, she meets several other people all gathered together by a man named Sellars, who says he has called them together, but before he can tell the group everything he means to say, the golden city is attacked and all of the characters are forced to flee into the network—and discover that they can no longer unplug themselves to exit the net.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
That was it, Otherland.

Really didn't get into that book, unfortunately.

I prefer my fantasy to be a bit more pacey, if I'm honest .
channy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha yeah! It did go into detail. Although, the Wheel of Time is pretty descriptive too. But then again, in Otherland you've got some wierd company trying to take over the world through a virtual reality.

Whereas in the Wheel of Time you've got...Lan.

Nough said.

Lan is so cool...
channy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm reading The Shadow Rising, which I missed out last time I read through the series! It all makes sense now...
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Haha, didn't it make sense the first time?
channy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well the last time I read it I couldn't find the Shadow Rising at the library, so I just skipped it =-p. If I remember correctly, it goes from Perrin being in Tear to him trying to rescue Faile from Whitecloaks? I'm still reading it
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Something like that.

I need to reread the whole load if I'm to get the last one at all. It's a big effort, though!
berryfantastic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yaaaay

my first society
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Hah, welcome. What books are you into?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (60)
19.74%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (120)
39.47%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise