Turn on thread page Beta

The Literary Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hah, :five:. How's it going, Malsi? Not spoken to you in a long time. Reading much at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm good thanks . Busy as always.

Off to bed now, though! Good to see some posts in here... it's gotten quiet lately! I wonder where all the ol' regulars went .

Anyway, night all! :goodnight:

ReputationRep:
    I'm busy reading :p:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Who has read 'The Shadow Of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon? It's pretty immense so far. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    What genre is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    I wouldn't!

Do what I do, geetar, and play your guitar to soothe the stress :p:. I'm assuming you play because of your name!
    Indeed I do

I've just started Sense & Sensibility, and I have to say...boring. Sorry. Although it does have in its favour that the chapters are only about 4 pages each, so it doesn't feel very long. It reminds me of Goosebumps in that respect.

I think the comparison of Austen to RL Stine might make an interesting dissertation...

ReputationRep:
    RL Stine > Austen :p:. At least his books had some plot to it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can I join?

I've made a New Year's resolution to read at least 100 books this year because I'll be applying to Warwick 2010 to do English and Creative Writing.

ReputationRep:
    hello i am a new member
    want to make friends

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not Invented Yet)
    Hi, can I join?

I've made a New Year's resolution to read at least 100 books this year because I'll be applying to Warwick 2010 to do English and Creative Writing.
    You can do 100 . What ones are you starting with?

And of course you can join lol. Anyone can join - just send your application, and I'll accept it (post in here when you have, so I know when to check).

Also, welcome sidifu. We're all friendly in here! The only rules we have are no text speak, no rudeness and (always) the respecting of other peoples' opinions . Abide by those, and you'll make friends in no time .

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Is it difficult to achieve an A grade for English Literature at A-level? Any feedback from current English Literature students would be very helpful. Thank You

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    Hi, Is it difficult to achieve an A grade for English Literature at A-level? Any feedback from current English Literature students would be very helpful. Thank You
    A very strange question lol.

I did English Lit for AS...

It's as easy or as hard you decide to make it for yourself. If you do the work and have a little bit of intelligence, you can get an A! It just takes a bit of hard work .

ReputationRep:
    im loving 'the bell jar' by sylvia plath at the moment, even though it is well in depth, it still is really moving and really touched my heart.
    i would also recommend:
    'dark materials' trilogy
    yay

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Dark Materials was awesome. What was your favourite bit? In spoilers, just in case!

ReputationRep:
    A very strange question lol.

I did English Lit for AS...

It's as easy or as hard you decide to make it for yourself. If you do the work and have a little bit of intelligence, you can get an A! It just takes a bit of hard work .

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    No problem! Work hard and work sensibly... can't go wrong that way!

ReputationRep:
    No problem! Work hard and work sensibly... can't go wrong that way!

Advice taken on board

ReputationRep:
    Advice taken on board
    Good!

So, you like reading, do you? Any genre in particular?

ReputationRep:
    Good!

So, you like reading, do you? Any genre in particular?
    Yeah, My favourite novelist is Jane Austen, I particularly enjoyed watching and reading Pride and Prejudice. I cannot wait until I get to study English Literature at college.

What about you?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, My favourite novelist is Jane Austen, I particularly enjoyed watching and reading Pride and Prejudice. I cannot wait until I get to study English Literature at college.

What about you?:rolleyes:
    Why you rolling your eyes? :p:

If you don't really care, you don't have to ask lol.

Personally, I don't really like Austen and the rest of the "classic" authors. I'm just in it for the story, which they don't offer.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.