Turn on thread page Beta

The Literary Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    :eek: Blasphemy!!!!!! :woo:

I think on the 'epic scale' both are pretty much on the same level. Yeah Jordan was heavily influenced by Tolkien wasn't he? Similar introductions and all that.

In the end though...Tolkien is the master. (Although yes the descriptions can get tedious, and Legolas being gay with his poems!)
    Nah... I would have to disagree, mate.

I respect Tolkien as the so-called "father" of fantasy... and yes, I will agree that a lot of authors borrow heavily from his works, including Jordan.

But I also feel that later authors took Tolkien's work and made it so much better. So, while I like the Lord of the Rings... I still think that some of the contemporary authors live his work in the dust when it comes to pure enjoyment .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Nah... I would have to disagree, mate.

I respect Tolkien as the so-called "father" of fantasy... and yes, I will agree that a lot of authors borrow heavily from his works, including Jordan.

But I also feel that later authors took Tolkien's work and made it so much better. So, while I like the Lord of the Rings... I still think that some of the contemporary authors live his work in the dust when it comes to pure enjoyment .
    I see your point, but (yes there has to be a but :p:), we are in a different generation from when Tolkien wrote his books, therefore we can't really appreciate how much of a genius he was in building the whole fantasy world as we know it. Even reading all of his works I find it hard to appreciate what he did.

I think the difference is that modern authors (whilst still being good) they don't go into the depth that he did, with philosophy, philology and his love of language.

And obviously the difference in language and writing style is a reason.
    I guess it's comparing The Beatles to the...:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I see your point, but (yes there has to be a but :p:), we are in a different generation from when Tolkien wrote his books, therefore we can't really appreciate how much of a genius he was in building the whole fantasy world as we know it. Even reading all of his works I find it hard to appreciate what he did.

I think the difference is that modern authors (whilst still being good) they don't go into the depth that he did, with philosophy, philology and his love of language.

And obviously the difference in language and writing style is a reason.
    I guess it's comparing The Beatles to the...:confused:
    I see what you're saying - conceptualising his achievements from the context that he wrote the books is amazing, and even then that's from our skewed perspective.

But i'm basing my opinion on pure enjoyment... I just prefer a more modern style of writing, I guess. Less boring detail, more fast-paced action!

ReputationRep:
    I see what you're saying - conceptualising his achievements from the context that he wrote the books is amazing, and even then that's from our skewed perspective.

But i'm basing my opinion on pure enjoyment... I just prefer a more modern style of writing, I guess. Less boring detail, more fast-paced action!
    Ah I do love Gemmell! :awesome:

Who's your fav char?! I'm not sure about mine...Would have to be Waylander :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ah I do love Gemmell! :awesome:

Who's your fav char?! I'm not sure about mine...Would have to be Waylander :rolleyes:
    Gemmel!?

Well, yes, I have extensively read his books... but how you knew that is beyond me lol.

My favourite character would have to be Skilgannon the Damned . Do you know him?

ReputationRep:
    Gemmel!?

Well, yes, I have extensively read his books... but how you knew that is beyond me lol.

My favourite character would have to be Skilgannon the Damned . Do you know him?
    I have a...vague memory...Skilgannon....:eyeball:

We should have a 'who would win in a fight' thing lol.

ReputationRep:
    I have a...vague memory...Skilgannon....:eyeball:

We should have a 'who would win in a fight' thing lol.
    Well, I think all the characters end up being equally gifted at battle lol. I love that about Gemmel - predictable but awesome.

Let's see... Druss > All, from how he writes it.

Skilgannon > Connavar = Bane = Kaelin = Gaise.

I'm not sure where Waylander would feature... his skills are somewhat different.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think all the characters end up being equally gifted at battle lol. I love that about Gemmel - predictable but awesome.

Let's see... Druss > All, from how he writes it.

Skilgannon > Connavar = Bane = Kaelin = Gaise.

I'm not sure where Waylander would feature... his skills are somewhat different.
    Mmm I agree in an outright face-to-face right Druss would pwn everyone. But in The Swords of Night and Day doesn't Druss say something about axe vs swords? Like to get in range to kill an axe user you automatically come in range of his axe, and how even he would have trouble with Skilgannon.
    My memory is somewhat vague...it's around the time when they're in a forest with the refugees, resting from fighting the Joinings.

You forgot Decado > Skilgannon!

AND the other axe user who Druss meets in the golden armour when he goes into the Void! To save the that guy's woman!

Also, if it was a 'fight' where Waylander just needed to assassinate someone...even Druss would be in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    The Legend of Deathwalker, it was in where Druss goes into the void with Talisman and Oshikai Demon-bane! It was Oshikai who Druss was equal to I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Legend-Death.../dp/0552142522

ReputationRep:
    Mmm I agree in an outright face-to-face right Druss would pwn everyone. But in The Swords of Night and Day doesn't Druss say something about axe vs swords? Like to get in range to kill an axe user you automatically come in range of his axe, and how even he would have trouble with Skilgannon.
    My memory is somewhat vague...it's around the time when they're in a forest with the refugees, resting from fighting the Joinings.

You forgot Decado > Skilgannon!

AND the other axe user who Druss meets in the golden armour when he goes into the Void! To save the that guy's woman!

Also, if it was a 'fight' where Waylander just needed to assassinate someone...even Druss would be in trouble.
    I've never read the Druss stories, beyond Legend. I should remedy that when I can! I've always wanted to know more about his past and his wife etc.

I did indeed forget about Decado! Largely because I think Skilgannon would've eventually kicked his ass (don't forget being revived after 1000 years in a new body left his muscles under-developed and his instincts were a little rusty). Once Skilganon had a few years to grow into his new body... and coupled with his 54 years of experience from his older life... he'd have taken Decado any day .

ReputationRep:
    I've never read the Druss stories, beyond Legend. I should remedy that when I can! I've always wanted to know more about his past and his wife etc.

I did indeed forget about Decado! Largely because I think Skilgannon would've eventually kicked his ass (don't forget being revived after 1000 years in a new body left his muscles under-developed and his instinct was a rusty). Once Skilganon had a few years to grow into his new body... and coupled with his 54 years of experience from his older life... he'd have taken Decado any day .
    Ohhh I dunno. Its chancy! Very close between them though, I'm gonna go with Decado - The Ice Killer!

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh I dunno. Its chancy! Very close between them though, I'm gonna go with Decado - The Ice Killer!
    :no:

The Damned > Ice Killer

The name implies it, mate! The one with the cooler name is ALWAYS better :p:.

That's why Druss is the best. He was The Legend.

Anyways, on that note, it's time for bed! We'll discuss this more later, I am sure.

Good night, channy! :goodnight:

ReputationRep:
    :no:

The Damned > Ice Killer

The name implies it, mate! The one with the cooler name is ALWAYS better :p:.

That's why Druss is the best. He was The Legend.

Anyways, on that note, it's time for bed! We'll discuss this more later, I am sure.

Good night, channy! :goodnight:
    Night to you too! Methinks I am going to bed too, my exam waits for me tomorrow! :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Hope that exam went well, man!

ReputationRep:
    It's ok . If you didn't know, you didn't know - and now you do .

You ever read the trilogy?
    Umm.. I'm not sure what you mean, i'm assuming your on about the books so, yeah I have read them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    Umm.. I'm not sure what you mean, i'm assuming your on about the books so, yeah I have read them.
    Lol, sorry - I was talking about the books, yes.

What did you make of them?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, sorry - I was talking about the books, yes.

What did you make of them?
    I found the films a lot better than the actual books, which was disappointing, and you?

ReputationRep:
    I found the films a lot better than the actual books, which was disappointing, and you?
    I liked the films as much as I liked the books . Largely because they were shorter and more pacey... but the books are always ace for the detail.

ReputationRep:
    I liked the films as much as I liked the books . Largely because they were shorter and more pacey... but the books are always ace for the detail.
    Agreed the detail in the books is always shortened in the films which is a downside of the film

ReputationRep:
    Agreed the detail in the books is always shortened in the films which is a downside of the film
    This is true! But for a set of books that had - in my opinion - a bit too much detail anyway, I reckon this actually made the films good!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.