The Literary Society Watch

channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
:no: I'm disappointed in you, DeeDee :p:. Fantasy is where it's at!
You can't go wrong with a bit of C&P my friend :p:
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hahahaha... I think you'll find that you can! If you like a good story with plenty of action and an intricate plot.

I don't deal with classics, as their main focus is the usage of language and the bringing forth of reality from the page. I don't really go for that! :no:
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I also went on a book buying binge today. As well as a Pratchett that I hadn't read in a few years I got loads of travel books and "Stranger in a Strange land". I need to work out what I'm going to do this summer, but after that I'm reading the Heinlein. Anyone who hasn't read it yet should do, it's amazing.
MrsIpod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi everyone erm...basically I just love reading just finished Wuthering Heights for the billionth time, I am a complete Bronte slut :P

Ohh...and (as the sig gives away) I have bought into the appalling cliche that is owning a Moleskine :cool:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
What does that even mean, lol?

/Anti classics :cool:
MrsIpod
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Haha :P aaaactually Im rather new to the classics, Im traditionally a Joanna Briscoe-esque/Bret Easton Ellis/Sylvia Plath kinda girl, but I figured what with being 18 and all now, that I should try my hand at the classics.

And voila!

Utterly obsessed. Though I would blame a large proportion of this to the part of me that forms crushes on characters, i.e Heathcliff *swoon*
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrsIpod)
Haha :P aaaactually Im rather new to the classics, Im traditionally a Joanna Briscoe-esque/Bret Easton Ellis/Sylvia Plath kinda girl, but I figured what with being 18 and all now, that I should try my hand at the classics.

And voila!

Utterly obsessed. Though I would blame a large proportion of this to the part of me that forms crushes on characters, i.e Heathcliff *swoon*
*Mutters* Magic... sorcery... eeeeeeeevil....

*Starts* what? Oh, real life? Beauty of language? Ah... interesting... :p:
MrsIpod
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
am I being mocked there?!

Hahaa...also just noticed you asked about the Moleskine, not the classics :P

Yes I am a complete tool. Moleskine is my little diary, but instead of buying a normal £2 lined one from WHSmiths a la Notes On A Scandal, I shelled out £12.80 on a black one that claims to be the same kind that Da Vinci (was it him??) and Picasso carried about, doodling in.

Tbh I often do this type of thing, but I still love my Moleskine

note: it even has pretentious pronounciation- Moh-leh-skee-nahhhh (best if you're doing an italian accent)

Demon_AS
Rep:
?
am I being mocked there?!

Hahaa...also just noticed you asked about the Moleskine, not the classics :P

Yes I am a complete tool. Moleskine is my little diary, but instead of buying a normal £2 lined one from WHSmiths a la Notes On A Scandal, I shelled out £12.80 on a black one that claims to be the same kind that Da Vinci (was it him??) and Picasso carried about, doodling in.

Tbh I often do this type of thing, but I still love my Moleskine

note: it even has pretentious pronounciation- Moh-leh-skee-nahhhh (best if you're doing an italian accent)

Yes - everyone who posts in here knows my disdain of the classics, so I will admit to a small amount of ironical tone to my posts .

I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this Moleskine. I thought it was an author, but now I understand it's some form of book or file or something? :confused:
MrsIpod
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes - everyone who posts in here knows my disdain of the classics, so I will admit to a small amount of ironical tone to my posts .

I have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to this Moleskine. I thought it was an author, but now I understand it's some form of book or file or something? :confused:
Its a notebook, although I bought mine WAY before they were available on Asos *sniff*, if you want the full bio (which I wouldnt, because it will simply make you increasingly distainful) then heres a link

So, as a girl who rarely reads fantasy, what would you suggest? Im book shopping as we speak...
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Its a notebook, although I bought mine WAY before they were available on Asos *sniff*, if you want the full bio (which I wouldnt, because it will simply make you increasingly distainful) then heres a link

So, as a girl who rarely reads fantasy, what would you suggest? Im book shopping as we speak...
It depends on what you like in a book .

Do you like great characterisation, great plot, lots of action, a fair bit of romance and easy-to-get-into books?

If so, I can recommend any number of authors.

So, before I give you names - tell me this: why do you like books?
MrsIpod
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Pure escapism, I like to lose myself in situations/settings that, in real-life, would never happen I like to read other people's opinions, experiences, and I like the overall feeling you get knowing that what you're reading is loved, cherished, has been toiled over by someone. Somebody has devoted themselves to that book, and it makes me feel as if I'm part of a 'bigger thing', if that makes sense?

Yeah that sounds like the kind of book that would appeal to me I really got into Phillip Pullman a couple of years ago if that gives you any direction?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Pure escapism, I like to lose myself in situations/settings that, in real-life, would never happen I like to read other people's opinions, experiences, and I like the overall feeling you get knowing that what you're reading is loved, cherished, has been toiled over by someone. Somebody has devoted themselves to that book, and it makes me feel as if I'm part of a 'bigger thing', if that makes sense?

Yeah that sounds like the kind of book that would appeal to me I really got into Phillip Pullman a couple of years ago if that gives you any direction?
Phillip Pullman is great, and you read for the same reasons that I do.

In that case, then, I direct you to Robin Hobb. Go forth and read her Farseer trilogy (followed by the LiveShip Traders and Tawny Man trilogy, if you liked them). It's starts off with Assassin's Apprentice.

If you don't like the sound of it from the blurb, then I recommend you to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files (a bit like Harry Potter meets Sherlock Holmes, only waaaaaay better) or his Alera Codex series (just great compared to any other series in the genre).

If you like excellent characterisation and a refreshing twist of the usual Fantasy stereotypes, I commend you to Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy .
MrsIpod
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thankyou! I always love to read books as a result of recommendations, I think I try harder to like them! I'm going to invest in some Robin Hobb right now in fact...

Are you studying/ have you studied English at any level?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Thankyou! I always love to read books as a result of recommendations, I think I try harder to like them! I'm going to invest in some Robin Hobb right now in fact...

Are you studying/ have you studied English at any level?
The story that Robin Hobb weaves will leave you gasping for more - you can trust me on that! Farseer Trilogy - go for it!

And yes, I studied English Literature till AS level, which I achieved a B in (something I'm not particularly proud of... I think I should've done better).

All my academic info is in my signature .
MrsIpod
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'll be glad to know that a copy of Assassin's Apprentice will soon be in my hands
Hibz123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
All of them .

Brent Weeks has recently written the Night Angel Trilogy, which begins with Way of Shadows. It's a pretty good series, I thought!

Joe Abercrombie also finished his First Law trilogy, which begins with with the book, The Blade Itself.

Both series are very different to each other, but both were very entertaining .

Thanks , I shall start reading it when I have finished a book that I am currently reading.
channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You'll be glad to know that a copy of Assassin's Apprentice will soon be in my hands
Hurrah!!! Glad to have another (potential?) Robin Hobb fan!
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
I am very glad to hear this news.

You're going to love it... I hope! :afraid:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hibz123)
Thanks , I shall start reading it when I have finished a book that I am currently reading.
Good! Let me know what you make of it, whichever one it is you're reading .

What are you reading at present?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (532)
80.24%
Leave (131)
19.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed