The Literary Society Watch

kaytt
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Hi,

I'm new. Fantasy and Sci-fi are my favourites plus I like those books that stand out or are unusual. Lately I've been reading urban fantasies. I had a Sci-fi weekend with Wen Spencer's books, Alien Taste and Tainted Trail. The main character, Ukiah Oregon is a private investigator who was raised by wolves for most of his childhood. It is written from Ukiah's point of view. He has unusual abilities and functions. It turns out that his origins are even stranger than being a wolf child.
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by kaytt)
Hi,

I'm new. Fantasy and Sci-fi are my favourites plus I like those books that stand out or are unusual. Lately I've been reading urban fantasies. I had a Sci-fi weekend with Wen Spencer's books, Alien Taste and Tainted Trail. The main character, Ukiah Oregon is a private investigator who was raised by wolves for most of his childhood. It is written from Ukiah's point of view. He has unusual abilities and functions. It turns out that his origins are even stranger than being a wolf child.
You should join the society . I sometimes feel like the only hardcore Fantasy fan in here :p:.

I've not heard of Wen Spencer, but I shall look that author up! Who else have you read? Jim Butcher, by any chance? :teeth:
kaytt
Report 9 years ago
I haven't got to Jim Butcher as yet but I have added him to my wishlist. I've read, Anne McCaffrey, Judi Canavan, Anne Bishop, David Eddings, Orson Scott Card, Julian May, Marian Zimmer Bradley, CS Lewis, Neil Gaiman, Dianne Wynne Jones, Mercedes Lackey, David Gemmel, Terry Brooks, Stephen Donaldson, Clive Barker, Tokien, Rowling, Robbin Hobb, Michael Morcock, Raymond E Feist, Paolini, Kelly Armstrong, Amy Lane, Lisa Sherin etc
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaytt)
I haven't got to Jim Butcher as yet but I have added him to my wishlist. I've read, Anne McCaffrey, Judi Trudi Canavan, Anne Bishop, David Eddings, Orson Scott Card, Julian May, Marian Zimmer Bradley, CS Lewis, Neil Gaiman, Dianne Wynne Jones, Mercedes Lackey, David Gemmel, Terry Brooks, Stephen Donaldson, Clive Barker, Tolkien, Rowling, Robbin Hobb, Michael Morcock, Raymond E Feist, Paolini, Kelly Armstrong, Amy Lane, Lisa Sherin etc
Wow! Excellent. I've read most of those names (the ones I've emboldened) and will look into the rest! Here's who you missed off your list:

Robert Jordan; J. V. Jones; Sara Douglass; Joe Abercrombie; K. E. Mills/Karen Miller; Brent Weeks; Peter V. Brett; Phillip Pullman; Garth Nix; K. J. Parker.

It is possible that you just didn't mention them. If you haven't read any of the above - correct the oversight immediately :hmmm: :p:.
kaytt
Report 9 years ago
I have read Sara Douglas, Joe Abercrombie, Karen Miller, Phillip Pulman and possibly JV Jones. I have heard of Garth Nix so I'll get to him eventually. Oh and I've read Prachett's books. I'll check out KJ Parker and Brent Weeks.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaytt)
I have read Sara Douglas, Joe Abercrombie, Karen Miller, Phillip Pulman and possibly JV Jones. I have heard of Garth Nix so I'll get to him eventually. Oh and I've read Prachett's books. I'll check out KJ Parker and Brent Weeks.
Finally, someone who knows fantasy as well (if not better) than I do! :p:

Favourite character? :hmmm:
kaytt
Report 9 years ago
My favourite charaters are

Prachett books, Discworld, Granny Weatherwax, Vimes, DEATH
Orson Scott Card, Shadow saga (spin of from Ender's saga) Bean
Eddings, Althalas
Trudi Canavan, Black Magician triology, Ceryni and Danyl, Age of Five, Mischef
Anne McCaffrey's Pern, Robinton the masterharper
Kelly Armstrong, Women of the otherworld series, Elena
Anne Bishop, Blood Jewels triology, Saetan
Julian May, The Galactic Mileu triology, Jack/Jon
Robbin Hobb, Farseer triology and Tawny Man triology, The Fool
CS Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia, Aslan
Mercedes Lackey, Mage Wars, Skandranon, The Last Herald Mage, Vanyel.
kaytt
Report 9 years ago
Other favourite characters are
Lisa Shearin, Raine Benares series, Tam
LK Hamilton's Merry Gentry series, The Darkness
Dianna Wynne Jones, The Dark Lord of Derkholm and The Year of the Griffins, Derk
Terry Brooks, Landover series, Abernathy
Anne McCaffry's Pern, Ruth
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
:no:

Now narrow those down for me :p:. My favourite character, I think, from every fantasy series I've ever read might just have to be FitzChivalry Farseer.

Dunno why, guess I just identified with him the most.

Other favourites include Gaius Octavian and Harry Dresden from Jim Butchers' novels .
channy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
:no:

Now narrow those down for me :p:. My favourite character, I think, from every fantasy series I've ever read might just have to be FitzChivalry Farseer.

Dunno why, guess I just identified with him the most.

Other favourites include Gaius Octavian and Harry Dresden from Jim Butchers' novels .
You're a ******* son of a prince?!
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by channy)
You're a ******* son of a prince?!
Hard to believe, I know. I also communicate with wolves/assorted other animals, and I am also known for my incredible m4d skillz :p:.
kaytt
Report 9 years ago
I prefer the Fool. The Dresden files are on my wishlist.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by kaytt)
I prefer the Fool. The Dresden files are on my wishlist.
They're definitely your wish come true for great books! Get them.

Now. :hmmm:
channy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The Fool is my favourite character out of Hobb's books, not sure out of ALL the books I've read though...
Hibz123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hi, could anyone recommend any period drama's such as Pride and Prejudice. I have read all of Jane Austen's books and could anyone please recommend me on any similar books?

Thanks
channy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hibz123)
Hi, could anyone recommend any period drama's such as Pride and Prejudice. I have read all of Jane Austen's books and could anyone please recommend me on any similar books?

Thanks
Have you read Crime and Punishment? What about Kafka? Or Orwell - he is good.
Hibz123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Have you read Crime and Punishment? What about Kafka? Or Orwell - he is good.

Oh no I haven't, who is it by?
channy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hibz123)
Oh no I haven't, who is it by?
Crime and Punishment is by Dostoyevsky. Originally in russian, it's been translated by David McDuff.

'Crime? What crime?...My killing a loathsome, harmful louse, a filthy old moneylender woman...and you call that a crime?'
Hibz123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Crime and Punishment is by Dostoyevsky. Originally in russian, it's been translated by David McDuff.

'Crime? What crime?...My killing a loathsome, harmful louse, a filthy old moneylender woman...and you call that a crime?'

Huh? anyway do you have some period drama books you would recommend?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
He was quoting from Crime and Punishment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (68)
19.54%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (143)
41.09%
Nope, not that interesting (137)
39.37%

Watched Threads