The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5480
I'm more of a fantasy/sci fi fan :smile:.

Currently reading I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole.
you like Dan Abnett?
Reply 5482
Not heard from him. What does he write?
some warhammer 40000 series (part of the black library) abunch of other sci fi things too. I only have his Eisenhorn trilogy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_by_Dan_Abnett
Reply 5484
Thanks, CG, will look him up in a moment.
Wow... people.

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere is pretty good thus far...
Reply 5486
My exams are OVER! So I'm back to being addicted to reading for at least the next two months!

And Saturday is the only Ian McEwan novel that I actually enjoyed!

'Amsterdam' is the one I've read, and I quite liked it. I've got 'Saturday', but I've only read the first couple of pages. I read half-a-lecture by McEwan, which was very enjoyable. It was about the end of the world, titled 'End of the World Blues' or something.

I wonder, should I start Dickens' 'Our Mutual Friend' first or Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'?
Angela Carter anyone?

Particularly the Bloody Chamber stories and The Magic Toyshop.

Rather good...
What genre is it? And is it young adult?
Craghyrax
What genre is it? And is it young adult?

Were you talking to me?

Carter is adult fiction (not in an adult-smutty way, though there is sex as she was a feminist writer). Probably would class it as a modern classic.
sarahleslie1
Were you talking to me?

:yep:
sarahleslie

Carter is adult fiction (not in an adult-smutty way, though there is sex as she was a feminist writer). Probably would class it as a modern classic.
Ok
sarahleslie1
Angela Carter anyone?

Particularly the Bloody Chamber stories and The Magic Toyshop.

Rather good...

I'm reading Wise Children at the moment, and I'm not too impressed..might as well carry on with it though. Have you read this one?
*starry_eyed_*
I'm reading Wise Children at the moment, and I'm not too impressed..might as well carry on with it though. Have you read this one?

Yeah, but I did actually give up on it half-way through (ever since Highers last year when I had no time to do anything, I have been loath to waste time on books that I don't adore).

She's much better in the short story genre, with The Bloody Chamber stories being the most accessible of the ones that I have read.

And a proviso to my previous recommendation: The Passion of the New Eve is VERY weird. If you decide to read it, prepare to be disturbed.
Reply 5493
I've started Dickens' Our Mutual Friend. Its pretty hard.
Reply 5494
I am bookless, at the moment :bawling:.

Probably for the best, though... I should be revising! :hmpf:
Demon_AS

Wow, I quite literally haven't been without a book on the go since I was about 7 years old.

Atm it's Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky, a delightfully insane book ^^
Demon_AS

I should have sent you the Neil Gaiman by now, but ukebert only finished with it this week. I'll send it soon. Uni address, right?
OMG!!! Ian McEwan is coming to my Uni as part of a lecture on neurobiology and authors and emotions. This is soo cool. I'm gonna get an autograph if I can.
Reply 5498
halbeth
Wow, I quite literally haven't been without a book on the go since I was about 7 years old.

Atm it's Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky, a delightfully insane book ^^
Well, bully for you lol! I would love to have books to read - and there are a couple out that I have eye on, including the latest Dresden Files novel by Jim Butcher. But, alas, revision > recreation, so I must be disciplined.

I will read my fill this summer :evil:.

Crime and Punishment... yes, I've heard of it before. Possibly because it's also the title of a Blackadder episode, maybe... :hmmmm:. All in all, not my cup of tea. No wizards or prophecies or anything! :p:
Reply 5499
Craghyrax
I should have sent you the Neil Gaiman by now, but ukebert only finished with it this week. I'll send it soon. Uni address, right?
Indeed, but there is no rush to send it to me :smile:. As I said above, I must consume myself with revision, so anything you send is an added distraction.

However, I will make time to read it, if it comes with your recommendation :biggrin:. How are things?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending