Turn on thread page Beta

The Literary Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Well, bully for you lol! I would love to have books to read - and there are a couple out that I have eye on, including the latest Dresden Files novel by Jim Butcher. But, alas, revision > recreation, so I must be disciplined.
    Revision = :mad: in terms of book reading... I was always a 5 books+-a-week girl, but then Highers last year meant that I had no time whatsoever, and it's really hard to pick it back up!

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, but there is no rush to send it to me . As I said above, I must consume myself with revision, so anything you send is an added distraction.

However, I will make time to read it, if it comes with your recommendation . How are things?
    I don't need it back anytime soon. You're at the bottom of the list :p: I'm ok. Better than this time last year. Started writing up my research project. Got a 5th of it done, but I want to send a first draft in tomorrow night. Project is due on the 7th of May, and after that there will be nothing distracting me from exams and I'll probably start stressin' :p: You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahleslie1)
    Revision = :mad: in terms of book reading... I was always a 5 books+-a-week girl, but then Highers last year meant that I had no time whatsoever, and it's really hard to pick it back up!
    Nah, you just need the proper motivation... i.e. boredom! I bet you're quite a busy person, so picking up a book now seems like extra hassle.

Wait till the summer, you'll rediscover your book passion in no time .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I don't need it back anytime soon. You're at the bottom of the list :p: I'm ok. Better than this time last year. Started writing up my research project. Got a 5th of it done, but I want to send a first draft in tomorrow night. Project is due on the 7th of May, and after that there will be nothing distracting me from exams and I'll probably start stressin' :p: You?
    Hahaha, I'm at the BOTTOM of your list? Clearly my presence has been lacking in your life for too long :p:. But that's cool - send it up whenever, then .

Well done on your work - I'm also currently researching for a presentation on Tuesday on the topic of fractals. Yeah... I'm doing a maths module lol... aren't you jealous? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your work - I'm also currently researching for a presentation on Tuesday on the topic of fractals. Yeah... I'm doing a maths module lol... aren't you jealous? :p:
    Poor guy... :no:

ReputationRep:
    Poor guy... :no:
    I knew you'd share my joy .

ReputationRep:
    I just finished K-Pax, which was nice. Although I wouldn't say much more of it than that. I'm about to start Eragon.

ReputationRep:
    I want to read Eragon...

ReputationRep:
    Eragon is good . A bit clichéd and you'll find the work fairly derivative of other fantasy works... but I enjoyed it .

I'm a fantasy fan, not a purist, so I can read something and enjoy it for what it is lol, not what it's like. I only make this point because numerous people have ranted about how similar it is to other fantasy works...

My point is, if you keep looking for similarities between books in the same genre, may as well read only one book from that genre and move on lol, because similarities between books is what results in the classification of genre in the first place!

/mini rant

ReputationRep:
    Meh, so was Harry Potter, tbh. I just need some light fluff to take my mind off revision before I sleep at night. I can turn to more quality stuff in the vac.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really like Eragon that much... if in the mood for some fantasy, why not get straight back to basics with old fairy tale books, such as Grimm's or Angela Carter's compilation book (or The Bloody Chambre, come to that, but that's slightly more hard-core)? And they're perfect for reading before bed as you can just read a complete couple of stories in themselves.

Just a suggestion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahleslie1)
    I didn't really like Eragon that much... if in the mood for some fantasy, why not get straight back to basics with old fairy tale books, such as Grimm's or Angela Carter's compilation book (or The Bloody Chambre, come to that, but that's slightly more hard-core)? And they're perfect for reading before bed as you can just read a complete couple of stories in themselves.

Just a suggestion
    :no:

You need to discover Jim Butcher.

And Sara Douglass.

And J V Jones.

And David Gemmel.

And Robin Hobb.

ReputationRep:
    Afraid I'm with Demon on this one :awesome:
    But thanks for the suggestions Sarah! I'll give them a try next time I'm short on reading material.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished K-Pax, which was nice. Although I wouldn't say much more of it than that. I'm about to start Eragon.
    Ahh, K-PAX is good. Nice, as you say, not much more than that (especially the two sequels.. the idea gets old) but prot makes me smile. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Demon: Can I beg you for the sequels to Eragon? :flutter: Sorry I haven't gotten round to sending anything yet..

My live consists of :work: :stupido: :sleep: :work: :sleep: :work: etc, right now :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Demon: Can I beg you for the sequels to Eragon? :flutter: Sorry I haven't gotten round to sending anything yet..

My live consists of :work: :stupido: :sleep: :work: :sleep: :work: etc, right now :dry:
    You certainly can, but I'll have to get them from the people I've lent them to. I think Brisingr is with Sophie, but I should have Eldest at home - I'm heading back on Friday for Kath's birthday, so I'll send it when I get there. Just make sure you remind me!

ReputationRep:
    You certainly can, but I'll have to get them from the people I've lent them to. I think Brisingr is with Sophie, but I should have Eldest at home - I'm heading back on Friday for Kath's birthday, so I'll send it when I get there. Just make sure you remind me!
    My scary deadline is Thursday, so I might be sufficiently sentient to remember the wider world by Friday.
    And.. .you're going back for Kath's birthday? :eek3:
    Dedication, dude :yep:

Eragon is all right... is Brisingr the third book? I only have the first two...

I'm contemplating reading Ursula Le Guin's 'The Dispossessed' but I really don't want to start it if I'm not going to finish it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Eragon is all right... is Brisingr the third book? I only have the first two...

I'm contemplating reading Ursula Le Guin's 'The Dispossessed' but I really don't want to start it if I'm not going to finish it...
    Brisingr is, indeed, the third book .

Well, normally I'd recommend Ursula Le Guin to anyone, given that I loved her Earthsea Quartet... but I've not read her other works, so I don't know how good they are!

ReputationRep:
    ...normally I'd recommend Ursula Le Guin to anyone, given that I loved her Earthsea Quartet... but I've not read her other works, so I don't know how good they are!
    :ditto:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.