Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Demon_AS)
Do they compare to Jim Butcher? :hmmm:
Better.
Jim Butcher is average. The books are un-put-down-able, but they're average. I think Susan Cooper is above average.
Demon_AS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
:eek:

We're not talking for a while :p:.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:eek:

We're not talking for a while :p:.
We weren't going to anyway. I'm excommunicating the human race till after my exams :closedeyes:
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Craghyrax)
We weren't going to anyway. I'm excommunicating the human race till after my exams :closedeyes:
Lol, I was kidding.

I finished Neverwhere, by the way. Pretty good, I would say! Worth reading to kill some time that I didn't have :p:. Will post it back to you ASAP.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Lol, I was kidding.

I finished Neverwhere, by the way. Pretty good, I would say! Worth reading to kill some time that I didn't have :p:. Will post it back to you ASAP.
Glad you liked it :awesome: I'm keen to get hold of American Gods once the hell has abated.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Hahaha, I have several books that are to be released between now and end of exams.

And by several I mean... well, 2.

But for me thats loads :teeth:.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I read all of Greenwitch in one go last night :o: And subsequently felt too tired to think straight the whole day and had a massive revision crisis :facepalm:

Early bed tonight...
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
I'm just beginning revision... :yawn:

Late night for me.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm just beginning revision... :yawn:

Late night for me.
Ah right. Well my first is on the 28th, so the heat is up :headfire:
When do you start?
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Ah right. Well my first is on the 28th, so the heat is up :headfire:
When do you start?
First exam is on Thursday :sad:. It's my ACCS, so I'll be seeing a patient, taking a history and examining for the first time ever on my own. Well, not first time ever, but first time in an exam scenario.

So, I'm hotting up on the stuff I'll need to know - mainly diseases lol. Yours?
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
First exam is on Thursday :sad:. It's my ACCS, so I'll be seeing a patient, taking a history and examining for the first time ever on my own. Well, not first time ever, but first time in an exam scenario.
At least you can't really revise for that. Sounds nervewracking though.
So, I'm hotting up on the stuff I'll need to know - mainly diseases lol. Yours?
Contemporary Societies and Global Transformations aka learn the detailed economic history of several states and the actions of the IMF/World Bank/WTO and rehash this into three convincing arguments about why neoliberalism is destructive :p:
So much work to do :sad:
fadingwinters
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah! Well, if it's epic you want, then Robert Jordan is your man. Ditto Robin Hobb, actually... she's fantastic. If I were you, I'd start with her Farseer trilogy - amazing set of books. The story continues in The LiveShip Traders trilogy, but with a different set of characters. It helps explain what happens in the third trilogy - Tawny Man trilogy (which picks up where Farseer trilogy left off) - but I reckon you could happily miss it (LiveShip Traders, that is) out if you wanted to find out what happens with the characters from Farseer (and it will be very tempting, have no doubts about this!).

So, your decision?

I know what your decision SHOULD be.
Spoiler:
Show
READ JIM BUTCHER! :woo:
Alright, well you've convinced me The current order in which my fantasy reading for the summer stands is: Wheel of Time serie, Farseer trilogy, and then I really must weave in the stuff I need to read in preparation for uni! But I'm sure those two great authors will keep me busy! After all, Wheel of Time is 11 books of no mean size.

In turn, I would strongly recommend Anne Bishop if you haven't tried it already. The Black Jewels Trilogy. To be honest I'm not sure if it'll be your cup of tea, but the characters are truly some of the most fleshed-out and amazing in her genre (fantasy/dark fantasy). What usually gets me down with epic fantasy is that among all the world-building and action taking place, some characters remain 2-D while others are developed. It's definately not so in her work. Check it out if you don't mind dark themes and sarcasm
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
At least you can't really revise for that. Sounds nervewracking though.
Contemporary Societies and Global Transformations aka learn the detailed economic history of several states and the actions of the IMF/World Bank/WTO and rehash this into three convincing arguments about why neoliberalism is destructive :p:
So much work to do :sad:
Just gotta keep plugging away :woo:.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by fadingwinters)
Alright, well you've convinced me The current order in which my fantasy reading for the summer stands is: Wheel of Time serie, Farseer trilogy, and then I really must weave in the stuff I need to read in preparation for uni! But I'm sure those two great authors will keep me busy! After all, Wheel of Time is 11 books of no mean size.

In turn, I would strongly recommend Anne Bishop if you haven't tried it already. The Black Jewels Trilogy. To be honest I'm not sure if it'll be your cup of tea, but the characters are truly some of the most fleshed-out and amazing in her genre (fantasy/dark fantasy). What usually gets me down with epic fantasy is that among all the world-building and action taking place, some characters remain 2-D while others are developed. It's definately not so in her work. Check it out if you don't mind dark themes and sarcasm
I think your opinion of high fantasy will change drastically once you've read Robin Hobb :yes:. Ditto Jordan, although his characterisation isn't on the same scale.

And if you like really well-developed characters in a dark fantasy setting - read Joe Abercrombie's "First Law" trilogy. It's everything that your standard fantasy isn't, and the characters are so well depicted that you'll love them all.

God, there are so many books I could recommend :woo:.
ahq
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Whats the first book you'd recommend to someone whose never read a piece of fiction in their lives?
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It really depends on the person. Go by what sort of films they like. If they watch light junk, then don't give them anything classic or deep to read. If they like unusual films then go for something more solid.
I'd generally just hand them Harry Potter because its light and easy to read and generally shows people that reading can be fun.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abiraleft)
Whats the first book you'd recommend to someone whose never read a piece of fiction in their lives?
Jim Butcher's "Furies of Calderon".

Or maybe Robin Hobb's "Assassin's Apprentice".
ahq
Report 9 years ago
OK, I'm going to be in England, probably mostly London, until mid-June. What books do you suggest I buy, and what bookstores do you suggest I visit? Waterstones, The Works, etc. being obvious, some more unknown ones, please.
Demon_AS
Rep:
?
Hehehe, buy Jim Butcher :teeth:.

I think I've mentioned him in every post these last few pages :p:.

And... well, Waterstone's is all you need . Maybe Borders as well.
ahq
Report 9 years ago
Borders? Never heard of them...

Hmm, something gives me the feeling you like Jim Butcher. :awesome:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (113)
46.12%
Pro-humanity (132)
53.88%

Watched Threads