The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5560
He's alright.

:p:
Abiraleft
Whats the first book you'd recommend to someone whose never read a piece of fiction in their lives?

Yeah I agree with Craghyrax, I'd probably try to gauge what kind of styles/genres they prefer when it comes to other things. Harry Potter would be a good suggestion. I'd probably suggest mostly young-adult books to start light, ike Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy, or Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy. Probably Austen if they want to start with something more classical.
Reply 5563
I was thinking Harry Potter all along, tbh. Funny.

Anyway, I went to the national book fair today, got four books, including 'Three Plays' by Rabindranath Tagore.
Hi,

Has anyone read Joe Abercrombie's First Law books? What are they like? Worth a punt?
Reply 5565
humannamuh
Hi,

Has anyone read Joe Abercrombie's First Law books? What are they like? Worth a punt?
Wow, I never saw this!

Yes, I have read them.

They are fantastic! Amongst the best books I've recently read. The characterisation is superb - and not just because Abercrombie ventures away from stereotypical fantasy clichés, either! Well written, and therefore well worth a read :top:.
Reply 5566
I saw some Jim Butcher books at Waterstones, but I didn't get them because the first few pages were so ****.

Only joking. :p: I didn't get them because I had just spent almost 60 pounds at another bookstore. :frown:
Reply 5567
Abiraleft
I saw some Jim Butcher books at Waterstones, but I didn't get them because the first few pages were so ****.

Only joking. :p: I didn't get them because I had just spent almost 60 pounds at another bookstore. :frown:
I feel disgusted :p:.

Go back and correct your error/lapse in judgement! :p:
Reply 5568
Too late. :frown: I'm already in Sheffield.

Dunno, though, I might go to a bookstore tomorrow. Or, I might go to the local museum. Butcher's books were a bit on the expensive side, though.
Reply 5569
Worth every penny, mate :hubba:.
Reply 5570
I knew you'd say that, tbh. I did get 'My Name is Red', 'Mr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde', 'The Art of War', 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' and more. :hubba:
Reply 5571
Abiraleft
I knew you'd say that, tbh. I did get 'My Name is Red', 'Mr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde', 'The Art of War', 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' and more. :hubba:
:no:

Jim Butcher > all of those :p:.

Except maybe The Art of War, which is something I feel I should read at some point.
Hey all, how are you? Been months since I've been in here.

Been doing very little reading this past term, steadily working my way through the J&W books by Wodehouse. I've also read the Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson, which I thought very good. I've got my copy of Dune with me, which is next on my list.
Reply 5573
Dune is excellent, I am sure you will enjoy it!

I am well, bogged down by exams :sad:.
I've read it before, but not for at least 5 years. Looking forward to it.

And consolations, I finished on Tuesday. Just to rub that in :p:
ukebert

Been doing very little reading this past term, steadily working my way through the J&W books by Wodehouse.

I got about half way through them then decided Wodehouse is definitely best in small doses! A couple a year means the stories aren"t tooo repetitive!
sparklysparkles
I got about half way through them then decided Wodehouse is definitely best in small doses! A couple a year means the stories aren"t tooo repetitive!

Well, I'm reading them for me incredibly slowly, so the effect is the same. I'm reading each one over about 3 or 4 days, when normally I would read them all in one go. I'm also reading them in a completely random order, which helps a bit.
Reply 5577
ukebert
I've read it before, but not for at least 5 years. Looking forward to it.

And consolations, I finished on Tuesday. Just to rub that in :p:
*Hovers mouse over "negative"* :p:

I finish next Thursday :bawling:. It feels like ages, even though it's going to fly by very fast.
Demon_AS
*Hovers mouse over "negative"* :p:

I finish next Thursday :bawling:. It feels like ages, even though it's going to fly by very fast.

It will. And you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 5579
Lol thanks man - I really hope so! :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending