Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone read the magus? Was excited by events leading up to the ending but not quite the ending itself and it's another of fowles' existential endings. :-(

ReputationRep:
    No, but the ending to The French Lieutenant's Woman was quite annoying, because whichever ending I chose was really unsatisfying.

Mainly because I absolutely loathed Sarah Woodruff. And Charles had no balls.

ReputationRep:
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss...

I can't recommend it highly enough as an entertaining read.

ReputationRep:
    Iv just finished 'Moab is my Washpot' by Stephen Fry and now im reading 'The Liar' - both brilliant! I highly recommend Stephen Fry to anyone and everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanne123)
    Iv just finished 'Moab is my Washpot' by Stephen Fry and now im reading 'The Liar' - both brilliant! I highly recommend Stephen Fry to anyone and everyone
    Are his books as funny as he is?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, absolutely :rolleyes:
    and rather intriguing aswell!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, absolutely :rolleyes:
    and rather intriguing aswell!
    I shall look into it :holmes:. My thanks for the recommendation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    I shall look into it :holmes:. My thanks for the recommendation!
    Do! If you're a fan of his, you won't be disappointed :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Do! If you're a fan of his, you won't be disappointed :yep:
    In truth, I am a fan of his comedy - works such as Blackadder, A "Bit" of Fry and Laurie etc...

A man of rare comic genius, I find.

ReputationRep:
    Finished "Consider Phlebas". Very good.

Erm, I'm doing AS Lit. Just thought I'd say when I can.

Oh, and we're doing Equus. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    In truth, I am a fan of his comedy - works such as Blackadder, A "Bit" of Fry and Laurie etc...

A man of rare comic genius, I find.
    He is a rare comic genius
    And I love him! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    He is a rare comic genius
    And I love him! :yep:
    I am glad you agree! :five:

So, what other books and genres do you like to read?

ReputationRep:
    I am glad you agree! :five:

So, what other books and genres do you like to read?
    Ummm... recently iv been really in autobiographies!
    Iv got a whole pile to read
    And I keep seeing films and then buying the books afterwards to compare them
    What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Ummm... recently iv been really in autobiographies!
    Iv got a whole pile to read
    And I keep seeing films and then buying the books afterwards to compare them
    What about you?
    I am a massive fantasy fan, with the odd bit of science fiction thrown in to keep things interesting. That aside, I am a fan of anything that is entertaining... hence my love of comedy. As far as comic writing goes, no one has ever surpassed the genius of Douglas Adams in my mind, but I will admit I have yet to plumb the depths of the genre.

Films and then books? I was always taught by my father to do it the other way around lol. Maybe he was just setting me up for perpetual disappointment, as no film has ever matched a book for me - with the one exception, perhaps, of the LoTR films - although even they missed out details which I would not have done. Do you find it so with you? That books are always better than the films?

Yes. Books are always better than the films. Anyone who dare to suggest otherwise should be :spank: ed.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, anybody who suggests otherwise has clearly never read a book...

Or one who has never managed to finish one.

Books - good books (although such are subjective) - are like jewels to the poor. Diamonds in the rough. Oases in a desert. I cannot love them enough :love:.

ReputationRep:
    I am a massive fantasy fan, with the odd bit of science fiction thrown in to keep things interesting. That aside, I am a fan of anything that is entertaining... hence my love of comedy. As far as comic writing goes, no one has ever surpassed the genius of Douglas Adams in my mind, but I will admit I have yet to plumb the depths of the genre.

Films and then books? I was always taught by my father to do it the other way around lol. Maybe he was just setting me up for perpetual disappointment, as no film has ever matched a book for me - with the one exception, perhaps, of the LoTR films - although even they missed out details which I would not have done. Do you find it so with you? That books are always better than the films?
    Iv always been told to read first then watch the film but I rarely do unfortunatly :rolleyes: I always found the books better than the film except in two cases - The English Patient and The Reader! I hated both these books but loved both the films! But yes, in general, books are better

ReputationRep:
    Iv always been told to read first then watch the film but I rarely do unfortunatly :rolleyes: I always found the books better than the film except in two cases - The English Patient and The Reader! I hated both these books but loved both the films! But yes, in general, books are better
    Have you seen and read High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby? One of the few non-fantastical books that I have read and thoroughly enjoyed... and I equally enjoyed watching the film. I recommend it - a very good read.

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen and read High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby? One of the few non-fantastical books that I have read and thoroughly enjoyed... and I equally enjoyed watching the film. I recommend it - a very good read.
    Iv heard about the book and iv been meaning to buy it. I taped the film of tv recently but I haven't seen it yet because I wanted to read the book first I have been told though that its like Bridgete Jones for men so females won't enjoy it very much! Does that have any element of truth in it?

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.