Turn on thread page Beta

The Literary Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    'Dr Zhigavo'? Never heard of. Is it a book or the author?

Where are you on holiday at? Sun isn't really what I'd like right now....
    I've just started 'The Dispossessed' by Ursula le Guin. I'm meant to finish it and write a review by the 27th. :work:
    Dr Zhivago is the book, Boris Pasternak is the author

Pasternak! :wooo:

Good writer. Reactionary *******, but a very, very good writer. I love the fact that he refused to accept the Nobel prize.
    I've only read one of his short stories, though.

ReputationRep:
    I think Sarah Ash - who wrote the Tears of Artamon Series is a fantastic author! It is a fantasy series which lasted 3 books which were relatively thick, but once I started reading, I could not put it down. It is amazing how she was able to bring so many characters together to create such a dramatic finale. Each book had it's own plots and so there was never any long, meticulous trekking from one place to another just to lengthen the story. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy read. =D

Also, Juliet Marillier who wrote the Sevenwaters Trilogy was a great read, though not as great as Sarah Ash, but yeah, it's a great retelling of the Irish tale of how a boy got a swan's wing for an arm. It's greatly enriched with it's magic and mythology.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started it, it seems excellent. I wouldn't recommend it yet, obviously, but if you want to read an excellent first few pages, you could definitely try it. :yup:
    Ha, well, once you have an idea of what it's like, let me know! I mean, more than just a few pages' worth.

I have read books that began well but ended dismally... or just never went anywhere. Stephen Eriksson's work comes to mind, here. Also Katherine Kerr, Stephen Donaldson and Ian Irvine...

Well, I've read about 50 pages, I've got it in front of me now, and its absolutely fantastic up to this point (still too early to tell, I know). Btw, it's a sci-fi, not a fantasy like the Earthsea ones. But its a sci-fi classic, apparently, so it's probably excellent all the way.

My dad's in London right now, I'll see if I can get him to find a Jim Butcher. :awesome: (and some more le Guin :awesome: )

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've read about 50 pages, I've got it in front of me now, and its absolutely fantastic up to this point (still too early to tell, I know). Btw, it's a sci-fi, not a fantasy like the Earthsea ones. But its a sci-fi classic, apparently, so it's probably excellent all the way.

My dad's in London right now, I'll see if I can get him to find a Jim Butcher. :awesome: (and some more le Guin :awesome: )
    Ha, that is what I like to see! Get some Butcher. And when the next opportunity arises, I will find that Le Guin book!

Couldn't contact my dad in time.
    Cruel Jim Butcher, you evade me once again! :rant:

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't contact my dad in time.
    Cruel Jim Butcher, you evade me once again! :rant:
    I am disappointed.

The Force clearly abandoned you this time :vader:.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Have you seen and read High Fidelity, by Nick Hornby? One of the few non-fantastical books that I have read and thoroughly enjoyed... and I equally enjoyed watching the film. I recommend it - a very good read.

I've read it; wasn't too impressed, felt like it was more of a males sense of humour type of book tbh:p:

But it was an OK and easy read

I've just started reading Larry's party by Carol Shields
    and so far this summer(though tbf I started before the hols) I've read about ~7 books including Atonement, The Da Vinci code, high fidelity, a student of weather, to kill a mockingbird, 1984 to name a few

ReputationRep:
    ps i'm joining this soc

ReputationRep:
    I've set myself the target of going through Plath's poetry and finding examples to show her decline in mental health (which shouldn't be too hard!) AND read:

Orlando- Woolf
    The Waves- Woolf
    Jacob's Room- Woolf
    The complete shorter fiction of Virginia Woolf
    A Room of One's Own - Woolf (seeing a pattern? :p:)
    Moll Flanders- Can't remember who wrote it
    Clarissa- God I swear that's going to take me the whole 4 weeks I have, it's hugeeee! Richardson(?)
    Mrs. Dalloway (yeah... I'm getting tired of writing Woolf.)
    Adam Bebe- George Elliot
    To The Lighthouse- As above. Meh.
    Night and Day

in about... 4 weeks. *gulp*

I don't know why I do this to myself! But then, I'm not going to have time when term begins. It's only to compensate for sleeping for a month instead of reading...

Have any of you guys read any of the books I mentioned/ want to point me to a especially depressing Sylvia Plath poem?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    I've read it; wasn't too impressed, felt like it was more of a males sense of humour type of book tbh:p:

But it was an OK and easy read

I've just started reading Larry's party by Carol Shields
    and so far this summer(though tbf I started before the hols) I've read about ~7 books including Atonement, The Da Vinci code, high fidelity, a student of weather, to kill a mockingbird, 1984 to name a few
    Ha, well, you could be right there.

And you are, of course, welcome to this soc! I'll pop along and accept your application now. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    I've set myself the target of going through Plath's poetry and finding examples to show her decline in mental health (which shouldn't be too hard!) AND read:

Orlando- Woolf
    The Waves- Woolf
    Jacob's Room- Woolf
    The complete shorter fiction of Virginia Woolf
    A Room of One's Own - Woolf (seeing a pattern? :p:)
    Moll Flanders- Can't remember who wrote it
    Clarissa- God I swear that's going to take me the whole 4 weeks I have, it's hugeeee! Richardson(?)
    Mrs. Dalloway (yeah... I'm getting tired of writing Woolf.)
    Adam Bebe- George Elliot
    To The Lighthouse- As above. Meh.
    Night and Day

in about... 4 weeks. *gulp*

I don't know why I do this to myself! But then, I'm not going to have time when term begins. It's only to compensate for sleeping for a month instead of reading...

Have any of you guys read any of the books I mentioned/ want to point me to a especially depressing Sylvia Plath poem?

Thanks!
    Lol, hey DeeDee... lots of books there!

You can do it, though .

Can't help you with the depressing poetry, though! Why would you want it lol?

ReputationRep:
    not accepted yet....

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, it seems that I forgot :o:.

I'll do it now.

My apologies! :sad:

Edit: It is done! Welcome to the soc, Malsy and Curly Wurly.

ReputationRep:
    thanks darrrrling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    thanks darrrrling
    Any time :five:.

(Original post by Demon_AS)
    I am disappointed.

The Force clearly abandoned you this time :vader:.

:p:
    I tried, tbh.

:starwars:

ReputationRep:
    I tried, tbh.

:starwars:
    :laugh: It's ok, man.

But if we're quoting Star Wars:

"There is no try. You will do, or you will fail."

- Yoda.

Classic!

I love Star Wars! :wooo:

I read a Star Wars book a couple of years back. It was something from after 'The Return of the Jedi'.

The most classic quote remains 'I AM YOUR FAAAAAAATHER' tbh.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.