Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hibz123)
    I've read it:woo: Same here. I'm going to be study Victorian Literature in College:yep:

Nice..P+P is either georgean or Gordian [cant remember hmm] though isn't it?

The french lieutenant's woman is victorian-compared it with p+p for my exam..but both are good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    lol Exactly!

Have you read 'Fingersmith' by Sarah Waters? It seems similar to the kind of genre you're describing (except it's about lesbians :ninja:)
    :laugh:

No i haven't:p:

ReputationRep:
    I've read it:woo: :five: Have you read Sense and Sensibility? It's really good:heart:

nope but it's definitely on my list

Need to get into this book though, being a bit lazy with it:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Nice..P+P is either georgean or Gordian [cant remember hmm] though isn't it?

The french lieutenant's woman is victorian-compared it with p+p for my exam..but both are good
    Georgian period..I think:ninja:

Oh I haven't read that. Any ideas on which book I should read, similar to P&P?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    nope but it's definitely on my list

Need to get into this book though, being a bit lazy with it:p:
    Good:p: Which book are you reading?

ReputationRep:
    Good:p: Which book are you reading?

Jane Eyre but I'm really really slacking; a couple of pages here and there only:erm:

ReputationRep:
    I basically wanted to know what you thought of them, particularly the first one.

You said you didn't read magical fantasy, tbh.
    My thoughts? I don't know mate, they sounded ok! I would need to read a book to give you an impression .

(Original post by Demon_AS)
    My thoughts? I don't know mate, they sounded ok! I would need to read a book to give you an impression .
    Ah, okay. Just wanted to see.

I finished 'The Dispossessed' a couple of day ago, btw. It's amazing.:cool:

There was a list of some of the best fantasy books ever at the back. I'll post it later to ask you about them.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, okay. Just wanted to see.

I finished 'The Dispossessed' a couple of day ago, btw. It's amazing.:cool:

There was a list of some of the best fantasy books ever at the back. I'll post it later to ask you about them.
    Do it :teeth:. Hopefully I might even have read them lol.

Do it :teeth:. Hopefully I might even have read them lol.

The Masterworks series apparently publishes one book every month. a page near the end of the book says that 'the first 6 months of the 2001 programme are as follows:'

#13 'Fevre Dream' - George R. R. Martin
    #14 'Beauty' - Sheri S. Tepper
    #15 'The King of Elfland's Daughter' - Lord Dunsany
    #16 'The Conan Chronicles: The Hour of the Dragon' Robert E. Howard
    #17 'Elric' - Michael Moorcock
    #18 'The First Book of Lankhmar' - Fritz Leiber

ReputationRep:
    I know, man... :p:

So, Book 12 of the Wheel of Time is out this year :teeth:. Anyone else excited about it?
    I am extremely excited, I started another re-read once they announced the date. Taking it slow though so I will be just finishing 11 by the time 12 is out, so I am on book 5 at the moment, which is definitely one of the greatest

Have you done a re-read?

ReputationRep:
    The Masterworks series apparently publishes one book every month. a page near the end of the book says that 'the first 6 months of the 2001 programme are as follows:'

#13 'Fevre Dream' - George R. R. Martin
    #14 'Beauty' - Sheri S. Tepper
    #15 'The King of Elfland's Daughter' - Lord Dunsany
    #16 'The Conan Chronicles: The Hour of the Dragon' Robert E. Howard
    #17 'Elric' - Michael Moorcock
    #18 'The First Book of Lankhmar' - Fritz Leiber
    I've only read the Lankhmar book by Fritz Leiber on that list... and I didn't really get into it. I haven't finished it - it sort of fizzled out for me. I reckon I just didn't give it a chance, though.

I can recommend George R. R. Martin to you, as I once started his "Song of Ice and Fire" series and loved it. But I never finished it, as the library ran out of his books! I'm definitely going to pick it up again at some point :top:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fightoffyourdemons!)
    I am extremely excited, I started another re-read once they announced the date. Taking it slow though so I will be just finishing 11 by the time 12 is out, so I am on book 5 at the moment, which is definitely one of the greatest

Have you done a re-read?
    I am smack bang in the middle of a re-read myself :teeth: :five:. I started Eye of the World a week and a half ago. I read the first five in five days, and the sixth took me three days. But then I restarted uni, so the seventh is in progress (I'm some 500 pages into it now). I have all the rest waiting patiently on my shelf to be read :teeth:.

I love this series. It only improves the more times I read it lol.

ReputationRep:
    I am smack bang in the middle of a re-read myself :teeth: :five:. I started Eye of the World a week and a half ago. I read the first five in five days, and the sixth took me three days. But then I restarted uni, so the seventh is in progress (I'm some 500 pages into it now). I have all the rest waiting patiently on my shelf to be read :teeth:.

I love this series. It only improves the more times I read it lol.
    Yeah! I dunno about you, but I started reading them when I was like 13, and so with these re-reads I understand certain things better and there are bits I must have just overlooked when I was younger...
    What is your favourite book of the 11?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I dunno about you, but I started reading them when I was like 13, and so with these re-reads I understand certain things better and there are bits I must have just overlooked when I was younger...
    What is your favourite book of the 11?
    Ha, mate, I still found it hard not to skim-read certain chapters. I find that Nynaeve irritates me because she's so bloody stubborn and aggressive! :p: Elayne, too, gets a bit too snippy... but I have to admit, reading about them in book 7 has been more entertaining than it has been in a while.

My favourite book, I think, would have to be The Shadow Rising, but all of them have great elements to them. I love it largely because Rand sort of comes into his own as the Dragon Reborn, and Perrin takes over as Wolflord :laugh:.

Your favourite character? And least favourite.

Oh, and why :teeth:.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, mate, I still found it hard not to skim-read certain chapters. I find that Nynaeve irritates me because she's so bloody stubborn and aggressive! :p: Elayne, too, gets a bit too snippy... but I have to admit, reading about them in book 7 has been more entertaining than it has been in a while.

My favourite book, I think, would have to be The Shadow Rising, but all of them have great elements to them. I love it largely because Rand sort of comes into his own as the Dragon Reborn, and Perrin takes over as Wolflord :laugh:.

Your favourite character? And least favourite.

Oh, and why :teeth:.
    Aha yeh if I'm tired and I want to read about something cool coming up and they chapter is about nyneave just moaning I just wanna shut her up, but its rewarding in the end to read everything .

Yeh I just finished TSR obvs as I just started Fires of heaven and it's been my favourite of the re-reads. Mainly because of how much perrin going home in it there is. I love him.
    But my favourite character is Mat! There isn't enough about him yet if the earlier bits but he is so damn funny.

I hate Elaida! She annoys me, and sometimes I just wish she was Black Ajah so someone would kill her. Ahaha.
    Who are yours?

ReputationRep:
    Wheel of Time is amazing. I'm annoyed because I finished my reread about 2 months too early grrr:mad: I think Mat is definitely my favourite character. I love him and Shen al Calhar. I also quite liked Moiraine, I think she was probably my favourite Aes Sedai.

I managed to pick up on so many extra details on this reread which made me fall even more in love with this series. I really hope Sanderson can keep Jordan's style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    Wheel of Time is amazing. I'm annoyed because I finished my reread about 2 months too early grrr:mad: I think Mat is definitely my favourite character. I love him and Shen al Calhar. I also quite liked Moiraine, I think she was probably my favourite Aes Sedai.

I managed to pick up on so many extra details on this reread which made me fall even more in love with this series. I really hope Sanderson can keep Jordan's style.
    Ahh I can't wait till he gets his army
    You've always got time for another reread!
    I haven't read the prequel yet either

Apparently though most of the last volumes of the 12th book are pretty much already written and so Brandon S should have an easy enough job with it. I think as well that the most important scenes of Tarmon Gai'don are already done by Jordan so that's a pleasure to know

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I can't wait till he gets his army
    You've always got time for another reread!
    I haven't read the prequel yet either

Apparently though most of the last volumes of the 12th book are pretty much already written and so Brandon S should have an easy enough job with it. I think as well that the most important scenes of Tarmon Gai'don are already done by Jordan so that's a pleasure to know
    Yeah I never imagined Mat as a great commander in the early books, but his character has really developed quite nicely.
    Hehe I'm not sure how many times I can reread it lol :p:

I can't wait for Tarmon Gai'don. That should be quite interesting. I'd love to see Rand turned to the Shadow by a circle of dreadlords and myrddraal. That would be quite a big twist lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    Yeah I never imagined Mat as a great commander in the early books, but his character has really developed quite nicely.
    Hehe I'm not sure how many times I can reread it lol :p:

I can't wait for Tarmon Gai'don. That should be quite interesting. I'd love to see Rand turned to the Shadow by a circle of dreadlords and myrddraal. That would be quite a big twist lol
    There are so many possible ways to end it, I do really hope it is amazingly epic though. I'd love to see prophesy turned on its head and the near impossible happening resulting in a breathtaking "wow" afterwards lol.

Hopefully we find out who killed Asmodeon soon also :O

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.