Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    :p:

I've just finished the first book. I have to keep trekking out to Picadilly's Waterstone to read them since I don't have enough money to buy books at the moment :

Have you read any Ian Irvine or Janny Wurts? They're both quite good fantasy writers as well imo.
    Hmmm, well, they only get better! :teeth:

I have read them both - although I read the co-authored books by Wurts and Raymond E. Feist, which were awesome. I didn't like Ian Irvine... I tried reading "View from the Glass" or whatever it was and I was bored to tears!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Well, according to Amazon, it's 672 pages... I think.

I was also disappointed by that lol. I was expecting 1000 pages of epicness at least!
    672 pages of WOT just isn't enough to keep me going for the next year Oh well I guess I should just be glad that there is more WOT...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, well, they only get better! :teeth:

I have read them both - although I read the co-authored books by Wurts and Raymond E. Feist, which were awesome. I didn't like Ian Irvine... I tried reading "View from the Glass" or whatever it was and I was bored to tears!
    Really? Ian Irvine's books were a bit slow but I still quite enjoyed them. They were quite dark and grim as well which I always like in books lol. You should try the Wars of Light and Shadow series by Wurts. They're pretty good and a bit more fast paced so I don't think you'll find them boring.

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally I've finally started reading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. I think it was you who recommended it to me and it's good stuff so far
    What's that like? Havent heard of it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fightoffyourdemons!)
    It is awesome. All of Jim Butcher's books are excellent reads, for the fan of fantasy, but Codex Alera is fantastic.

Oh, and thanks for the rep! :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    672 pages of WOT just isn't enough to keep me going for the next year Oh well I guess I should just be glad that there is more WOT...

Really? Ian Irvine's books were a bit slow but I still quite enjoyed them. They were quite dark and grim as well which I always like in books lol. You should try the Wars of Light and Shadow series by Wurts. They're pretty good and a bit more fast paced so I don't think you'll find them boring.
    I know how you mean - but any WoT is better than no WoT! :teeth:

I would quite like to read that series by Wurts - I just haven't been able to find them. Not many bookstores seem to stock much of her stuff any more... I may have to use Amazon .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fightoffyourdemons!)
    It's pretty good. It's set in an empire a bit like the Roman Empire, with some of the political intrigue. codex alera

I'd definitely recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    I know how you mean - but any WoT is better than no WoT! :teeth:

I would quite like to read that series by Wurts - I just haven't been able to find them. Not many bookstores seem to stock much of her stuff any more... I may have to use Amazon .
    I know, that's been by problem as well. I'd read most of the series ages ago so I wanted to reread it for the newer books but I can't seem to find anywhere that has the series grrrr:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I know, that's been by problem as well. I'd read most of the series ages ago so I wanted to reread it for the newer books but I can't seem to find anywhere that has the series grrrr:mad:
    Yeah... :sad:

Mind you, Amazon Marketplace has most books second hand that come for peanuts. I picked up The Path of Daggers in absolute mint condition (paperback) for £0.48p.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... :sad:

Mind you, Amazon Marketplace has most books second hand that come for peanuts. I picked up The Path of Daggers in absolute mint condition (paperback) for £0.48p.
    :eek: Why has such a thing escaped my notice for so long? Amazon Maketplace, here I come:vroam:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Why has such a thing escaped my notice for so long? Amazon Maketplace, here I come:vroam:

I got the first 2 books for a penny each.
    Just the £2 something delivery then to pay I was so stoked! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    If you find the book you want, there will (hopefully) be a link on the page that says "Click here for used and new" or something like that.

Just check that the book is shipped from the UK if you select an option - and keep in mind that it's £2.75 p&p.

ReputationRep:
    If you find the book you want, there will (hopefully) be a link on the page that says "Click here for used and new" or something like that.

Just check that the book is shipped from the UK if you select an option - and keep in mind that it's £2.75 p&p.
    So it's better to find one seller who has most of the series rather than ordering each book from different sellers?

ReputationRep:
    So it's better to find one seller who has most of the series rather than ordering each book from different sellers?
    Not at all - largely because multiple orders will be posted individually (I tried it, believe me!). I usually base my decision on the condition of the book and the price.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all - largely because multiple orders will be posted individually (I tried it, believe me!). I usually base my decision on the condition of the book and the price.
    Cool, Just ordered myself what's been released of the series so far I quite like Wars of Light and Shadow because it isn't the typical good vs evil that most epic fantasy seems to be about.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, Just ordered myself what's been released of the series so far I quite like Wars of Light and Shadow because it isn't the typical good vs evil that most epic fantasy seems to be about.
    Oh, is it not? That does sound rather unusual. Perhaps it bears looking into sooner than I expected... reckon once I've read First Lord's Fury and The Gathering Storm I'll definitely look into them.

ReputationRep:
    How does one join this society? The link on the first page is a dead-end. I'm hoping this society will prove useful for my degree......

ReputationRep:
    :eek3: WOAH just read the first chapter of The Gathering Storm. Words cannot express my feelings but I think it's safe to say that Sanderson was a very good choice to finish the series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    How does one join this society? The link on the first page is a dead-end. I'm hoping this society will prove useful for my degree......
    Lol, it probably won't - this society is a general discussion on anything to do with books! But you are more than welcome to join and initiate a discussion .

To join, go to your TSR Homepage. Click on "Societies" at the top, and then the A-Z list of societies. Find the literary soc, click on "Join now" and send me an application . I'll accept it as soon as I see it.

Good luck, and welcome! :top:

ReputationRep:
    :eek3: WOAH just read the first chapter of The Gathering Storm. Words cannot express my feelings but I think it's safe to say that Sanderson was a very good choice to finish the series.
    :excited:

I refuse to read anything before the book comes out :ninja:. I want it to be a fresh experience!

Glad that you're so positive about his writing style... I've been a bit worried I'll be let down!

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.