Turn on thread page Beta

The Literary Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suneilr)
    I still want to know how Moiraine learnt Balefire. There's so much to her that's still a mystery. Verin also seems to be quite a mystery, with her willingness to use a form of Compulsion.

Did you manage to read the first chapter of TGS in the end?
    So true, she is so mysterious... both are actually!
    Verin is such a go between, one min she could be candidate for black ajah the next shes a saint.

No I didn't actually, I wanted to wait till i finish my re-read
    i forget all of 10 and 11, so hopefully it will make better sense after those

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fightoffyourdemons!)
    So true, she is so mysterious... both are actually!
    Verin is such a go between, one min she could be candidate for black ajah the next shes a saint.

No I didn't actually, I wanted to wait till i finish my re-read
    i forget all of 10 and 11, so hopefully it will make better sense after those
    Yeah they're both some of the few Aes Sedai I like. I also want to know what's happening with Sheriam, who's pressuring her for information.

Fair enough. There isn't actually that much in Chapter 1, but more than enough to drive me crazy waiting for more lol

ReputationRep:
    Tower of Ghenjei I think. And yeah that will be awesome, especially given how reluctant Mat is, with his knowledge of the Aelfinn and Eelfinn.

I think it's quite likely that Cyndane is Lanfear reborn. Maybe her weakened power is the result of being in Finnland, or maybe the Dark One weakened her as punishment for trying to overthrow him with Rand's help. I dunno.

Yeah that's why I think Asmodean was balefired, especially when it said something about his words still hanging in the air. Wasn't it Belaal that Moiraine balefired in the Stone of tear?
    Ha, I can't quite remember what the letter said, but I've just finished Winter's Heart - I can't quite get over how cool the cleansing of the taint was. Any thoughts on this mysterious illness that's afflicting Rand - even after he cleansed saidin? I reckon it's either Taint-inflicted (his wounds) or a result of Lews Therin being in his head and trying to snatch the OP all the time. Maybe.

Cyndane is Lanfear - I am convinced again. Reading the ending to Winter's Heart confirms it - she's all set to kill Rand, and thinks about how she offered to challenge the Dark One/Creator with the Chodean Kal and linked with Rand.

Possibly - even though I only read TDR last week, I can't remember how Bel'al died :o:. I'm pretty sure she balefired Aginor or Belthamel in TEoTW - no? Either way, Osan'gar was whichever one of the two created Trollocs/Myrdraal. Still not sure who Aran'gar is... one of either Be'lal or the other one :laugh:.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna butt in again and agree that I think Cyndane is Lanfear reborn which also gives reason for moiraine to come back.

And I do believe it was be'laal that moiraine baled, and she also balefires one of the forsaken at the eye of the world?

I totally forgot about this, but I just read the chapter in FoH where egwene goes on about her dreaming and talks about seeing Thom picking out the stone that moiraine wears on her head from a fire.
    Foreshadowing?
    I don't think Moiraine will come back as Lanfear did... after all, she's not a Darkfriend! Mat's going to bust her ass out of of the Tower of Ghenjei... the question only remains as to how :teeth:. Also, where is the ToG? Seanchan, maybe? They always mention the Tower of Raven... I know the two are related somehow.

And yes, I remember that bit about Egwene's dream. Definitely significant! Also bits about Mat... what do you think giving up half the light of the world to save the world means? I reckon he's going to lose an eye... I remember a dream Egwene had that mentioned him losing an eye, and that's quite a poetic way to write that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demon_AS)
    Also, where is the ToG? Seanchan, maybe? They always mention the Tower of Raven... I know the two are related somehow.
    The tower of Ghenjei is definitely on this continent. Mat remembered seeing it from his own memories and he hasn't been to Seandar.. Is there a tower of ravens? I thought it was Prince of Ravens which is Mat's title now.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I can't quite remember what the letter said, but I've just finished Winter's Heart - I can't quite get over how cool the cleansing of the taint was. Any thoughts on this mysterious illness that's afflicting Rand - even after he cleansed saidin? I reckon it's either Taint-inflicted (his wounds) or a result of Lews Therin being in his head and trying to snatch the OP all the time. Maybe.
    What mysterious illness? And yeah the cleansing/ battle at Shadar Logoth was awesome.

Possibly - even though I only read TDR last week, I can't remember how Bel'al died :o:. I'm pretty sure she balefired Aginor or Belthamel in TEoTW - no? Either way, Osan'gar was whichever one of the two created Trollocs/Myrdraal. Still not sure who Aran'gar is... one of either Be'lal or the other one :laugh:.
    No, Belthamel definitely died by the Green Man and Aginor by overusing Saidin. Belthamel was reborn as Arangar and Aginor as Osangar. Belaal was balefired so theres no return for him.

ReputationRep:
    What mysterious illness? And yeah the cleansing/ battle at Shadar Logoth was awesome.

No, Belthamel definitely died by the Green Man and Aginor by overusing Saidin. Belthamel was reborn as Arangar and Aginor as Osangar. Belaal was balefired so theres no return for him.
    Ah, cheers for clarifying the latter!

You know, whenever Rand seizies saidin he sees double and staggers around. The problem didn't resolve itself in CoT or KoD, as I recall?

ReputationRep:
    The tower of Ghenjei is definitely on this continent. Mat remembered seeing it from his own memories and he hasn't been to Seandar.. Is there a tower of ravens? I thought it was Prince of Ravens which is Mat's title now.
    Yeah, there is very definitely a Tower of Ravens. In Winter's Heart, Tuon mentions it as a place of punishment. You know the Seanchan - anything to do with Ravens usually means it's got something to do with them lol.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't Perrin chase slayer into the Tower Of Ghenjei in the dream/wolf world? he stumbles across it chasing him from the mountains of mist so maybe it is on the continent somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Urgh books 1,3,4and 5 of Wars of Light and Shadow but still no book 2 which is the one I'm currently on grrrr:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Urgh books 1,3,4and 5 of Wars of Light and Shadow but still no book 2 which is the one I'm currently on grrrr:mad:
    :laugh: Typical, mate.

I'm about to start CoT :teeth:. And then bed!

ReputationRep:
    :laugh: Typical, mate.

I'm about to start CoT :teeth:. And then bed!
    T'is most annoying

Enjoy CoT and bed

ReputationRep:
    The Tower of Ghenjei is a shining metal tower two hundred feet tall and as big around as a house. There is no apparent entrance. It lies near the Arinelle River ten days north of Whitebridge.

I forgot that I had only just read that in the first book where rand and mat see it on bayle domans boat!!
    Remeber bayle says that no one can go a mile near it without dying.

ReputationRep:
    The Tower of Ghenjei is a shining metal tower two hundred feet tall and as big around as a house. There is no apparent entrance. It lies near the Arinelle River ten days north of Whitebridge.

I forgot that I had only just read that in the first book where rand and mat see it on bayle domans boat!!
    Remeber bayle says that no one can go a mile near it without dying.
    Don't remember that bit. I think he just said it had no apparent entrance and there wasn't a mark or scratch on it. I think it was safe to approach though.

ReputationRep:
    Don't remember that bit. I think he just said it had no apparent entrance and there wasn't a mark or scratch on it. I think it was safe to approach though.
    I re-read the chapter and yeh my bad,
    "A mountain hollowed into a bowl, and in its center,
    a silver spike a hundred spans high, and any who comes within a mile of it, dies"

He describes that just after the tower, claiming this other thing is one of the strange things he has seen left from the breaking.
    It's some remnant from our *present* earth I think, like a microwave dish....

ReputationRep:
    I re-read the chapter and yeh my bad,
    "A mountain hollowed into a bowl, and in its center,
    a silver spike a hundred spans high, and any who comes within a mile of it, dies"

He describes that just after the tower, claiming this other thing is one of the strange things he has seen left from the breaking.
    It's some remnant from our *present* earth I think, like a microwave dish....
    I'd probably say thats still in our future, since we don't have/had any mountains hollowed into a bowl yet:p:

I'd love to read some more about the Age of Legends and the War of Power though. Some of the stuff that's hinted seems quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably say thats still in our future, since we don't have/had any mountains hollowed into a bowl yet:p:

I'd love to read some more about the Age of Legends and the War of Power though. Some of the stuff that's hinted seems quite interesting.
    Ah quite possibly, I just assumed it was like this but with an antenna in the middle like most radioscopes

Edit: for some reason img tags are blocked in this forum?

ReputationRep:
    Ah quite possibly, I just assumed it was like this but with an antenna in the middle like most radioscopes

Edit: for some reason img tags are blocked in this forum?
    Hmm maybe but I don't know if they'd cause death from a mile off. Meh it'll just be another mystery from a previous Age.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm maybe but I don't know if they'd cause death from a mile off. Meh it'll just be another mystery from a previous Age.
    Yeh, radiation maybe?
    Probably looking too deep into it lol.

I, like yourself, would love to read stuff from other ages.
    The Dedicated is definitely my favourite chapter of all time, where rand sees through his ancestors eyes in the history of the aiel.
    Class!

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, radiation maybe?
    Probably looking too deep into it lol.

I, like yourself, would love to read stuff from other ages.
    The Dedicated is definitely my favourite chapter of all time, where rand sees through his ancestors eyes in the history of the aiel.
    Class!
    I know! I'd love to read more about how Mierin unwittingly created the Bore into the Dark One's prison at the Colaam Daan. I'd also like to read more about some of the battles fought in the War of Power. Actually I'd just like to read anything more about WoT lol...

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.