Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by channy)
    If the book is as good as the film, a trip to the local library is in order! Is the ending the same? The film's ending is :zomg:
    Almost. Wouldn't want to ruin it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesioo)
    What's everyone reading atm?
    Lolita, Breakfast at Tiffany's and re-reading The Lord of the Rings for the third time.

(Original post by Demon_AS)
    I have a friend called Tiago, to whom I do the same thing .

Was it you that picked up Robin Hobb on my recommendation? If so, how's it going?
    Dunno, it might be, but I'd read her a while ago. Stopped at Soldier Son Book three though, couldn't find it. And this was several years ago:rolleyes:

Finished 'The Old Man And The Sea'. It's beautiful.:cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    Finished 'The Old Man And The Sea'. It's beautiful.:cry2:
    Yeah it's good... but a bit long, don't you think?

(Original post by prudentstudent)
    Yeah it's good... but a bit long, don't you think?
    I didn't, did you? The length is, I feel, deliberate to emphasize the suffering and endurance of the Old Man. I just found it very uplifting, I really did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    I didn't, did you? The length is, I feel, deliberate to emphasize the suffering and endurance of the Old Man. I just found it very uplifting, I really did.
    Making us suffer to empathize with his suffering? :p:

I think he could have cut quite a lot which was extraneous both to the plot and to the overall meaning of the book. Obviously, you're right, it's a book about waiting, so it's difficult to criticize the length as you can justify it just as you have. I just felt I was wading through pages to get back to the deeper meaning sometimes, if you see what I mean..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prudentstudent)
    Making us suffer to empathize with his suffering? :p:

I think he could have cut quite a lot which was extraneous both to the plot and to the overall meaning of the book. Obviously, you're right, it's a book about waiting, so it's difficult to criticize the length as you can justify it just as you have. I just felt I was wading through pages to get back to the deeper meaning sometimes, if you see what I mean..
    I'm joining the conversation to say that I enjoyed every bit of the book. Like I mentioned in some previous post, it invaluably helped me get through a very rough period of my life. Seeing the world through the eyes of the old man was simply very... soothing. The way he communicates with the boy, how he deals with challenges, with gifts, the way he talks to himself and the marlin, his reactions to the sharks' attacks, his observations of nature... it's all part of the wise calmness he radiates and a very healthy approach to life. It's all like a huge relieving breath of fresh air.
    Don't know if I could make you look at it from a different point of view, but the book and its main character are truly deeper than they look at first glance. Hemingway's always are

ReputationRep:
    I feel a reread coming on :holmes:
    I just started Fool's Errand :ninja:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susant)
    Dunno, it might be, but I'd read her a while ago. Stopped at Soldier Son Book three though, couldn't find it. And this was several years ago:rolleyes:
    :laugh: It may have been Jim Butcher I recommended.

I tend to suggest those two in an alternate fashion.

ReputationRep:
    I just started Fool's Errand :ninja:.
    Fitz & Molly :love:

Reading the character bios on wiki is making me all nostalgic :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Fitz & Molly :love:

Reading the character bios on wiki is making me all nostalgic :moon:
    I know.

I often wonder how it would've turned out if he'd married Celerity instead. I'd have really liked to have seen King FitzChivalry.

ReputationRep:
    I know.

I often wonder how it would've turned out if he'd married Celerity instead. I'd have really liked to have seen King FitzChivalry.
    Would that have made him King? Possibly only a Duke, if I remember correctly... King Fitz would have been brilliant - with both Wit and Skill!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life-in-technicolor)
    I'm joining the conversation to say that I enjoyed every bit of the book. Like I mentioned in some previous post, it invaluably helped me get through a very rough period of my life. Seeing the world through the eyes of the old man was simply very... soothing. The way he communicates with the boy, how he deals with challenges, with gifts, the way he talks to himself and the marlin, his reactions to the sharks' attacks, his observations of nature... it's all part of the wise calmness he radiates and a very healthy approach to life. It's all like a huge relieving breath of fresh air.
    Don't know if I could make you look at it from a different point of view, but the book and its main character are truly deeper than they look at first glance. Hemingway's always are
    I'm not sure. I read it a while ago, and my over-riding memory of it was that it did go on a bit. Not to take away from the serene sections, of which there were many - I just felt as though he filled in the gaps between them as a second thought. A great book, but not perfect by a long way.

ReputationRep:
    Would that have made him King? Possibly only a Duke, if I remember correctly... King Fitz would have been brilliant - with both Wit and Skill!
    Lengthy Rambling On The Farseer Trilogy - Many, Many Spoilers Within
    You do remember correctly... but not completely! You see, at the time when Duke Brawndy (Celerity's Dad) gave him permission to court Celerity, he'd come to Buckkeep to ask King Shrewd why no help had been sent to aid him in his battle against the Red Ships. He then took an opportunity to talk to FitzChivalry, and pretty much voiced treason in saying that he - and the rest of the Coastal Duchy dukes - would back him in a bid for the throne, as they thought (quite rightly) that he'd make a far better king than Regal.

And, of course, so he would have done.

The reason why this could've happened was because ALL the Dukes in the Six Duchies have to approve of their new King, which is why they have the whole King-In-Waiting process in the first place.

But alas, King Shrewd died pretty much straight afterward, and because Fitz realises that it was the Skilled coterie that had sucked out all the life and Skill from the King, he goes into a mad blood rage and destroys Selene and Justin right in front of all the Dukes. Following that, Regal seized the opportunity to tell everyone about Fitz' Wit, which pretty much screwed any chance Fitz had for the throne after that.

If Fitz had managed to marry Celerity, though, and escape the machinations of Regal, he would've eventually gained the backing of all the Dukes and had a strong bid for the throne, being the former King-In-Waiting's son, ******* or otherwise. After all, everyone always tells Fitz how much like his father he is.

Anyway, that's enough of that lol. You can see how much I love the books, no?
    It's a bit long, but hopefully you'll see my point :teeth:.

ReputationRep:
    Lengthy Rambling On The Farseer Trilogy - Many, Many Spoilers Within
    You do remember correctly... but not completely! You see, at the time when Duke Brawndy (Celerity's Dad) gave him permission to court Celerity, he'd come to Buckkeep to ask King Shrewd why no help had been sent to aid him in his battle against the Red Ships. He then took an opportunity to talk to FitzChivalry, and pretty much voiced treason in saying that he - and the rest of the Coastal Duchy dukes - would back him in a bid for the throne, as they thought (quite rightly) that he'd make a far better king than Regal.

And, of course, so he would have done.

The reason why this could've happened was because ALL the Dukes in the Six Duchies have to approve of their new King, which is why they have the whole King-In-Waiting process in the first place.

But alas, King Shrewd died pretty much straight afterward, and because Fitz realises that it was the Skilled coterie that had sucked out all the life and Skill from the King, he goes into a mad blood rage and destroys Selene and Justin right in front of all the Dukes. Following that, Regal seized the opportunity to tell everyone about Fitz' Wit, which pretty much screwed any chance Fitz had for the throne after that.

If Fitz had managed to marry Celerity, though, and escape the machinations of Regal, he would've eventually gained the backing of all the Dukes and had a strong bid for the throne, being the former King-In-Waiting's son, ******* or otherwise. After all, everyone always tells Fitz how much like his father he is.

Anyway, that's enough of that lol. You can see how much I love the books, no?
    It's a bit long, but hopefully you'll see my point :teeth:.
    I'm definitely going to have to read them again - and not just to check this brilliant rendition - but because you've made want to remember all the other plots and tidbits I don't remember. :sogood:

And I just remembered how in the Liveship Traders, The Fool (as Amber) carved Paragon in likeness of Fitz. :embarrassed:

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely going to have to read them again - and not just to check this brilliant rendition - but because you've made want to remember all the other plots and tidbits I don't remember. :sogood:

And I just remembered how in the Liveship Traders, The Fool (as Amber) carved Paragon in likeness of Fitz. :embarrassed:
    You absolutely should. I read books 1 and 2 of Farseer a couple of weeks ago, but I've lent book 3 to a friend.

So, I just skipped it in favour of The Tawny Man, which is in my top three favourite series of all time, I think.

In fact, there's a question for the Literary Soc folk around here.

What are your top ten favourite series? Here are mine:

1. Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    2. Tawny Man - Robin Hobb
    3. Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
    4. Alera Codex - Jim Butcher
    5. Farseer - Robin Hobb
    6. Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
    7. Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling
    8. Earthsea Quartet - Ursula K. LeGuin
    9. Sword of Shadows - J. V. Jones
    10. Serpentwar - Raymond E. Feist

This was a tough list to come up with as there are loads of authors that almost made it in, and also because any of the above could move up or down places depending on how long it's been since I've read them.

ReputationRep:
    You absolutely should. I read books 1 and 2 of Farseer a couple of weeks ago, but I've lent book 3 to a friend.

So, I just skipped it in favour of The Tawny Man, which is in my top three favourite series of all time, I think.

In fact, there's a question for the Literary Soc folk around here.

What are your top ten favourite series? Here are mine:

1. Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
    2. Tawny Man - Robin Hobb
    3. Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
    4. Alera Codex - Jim Butcher
    5. Farseer - Robin Hobb
    6. Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
    7. Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling
    8. Earthsea Quartet - Ursula K. LeGuin
    9. Sword of Shadows - J. V. Jones
    10. Serpentwar - Raymond E. Feist

This was a tough list to come up with as there are loads of authors that almost made it in, and also because any of the above could move up or down places depending on how long it's been since I've read them.
    Excellent list! Mine goes something likes this;

1: LOTR - JRR Tolkien
    2: The Ender Series - OS Card (although the 2nd book isn't nearly as good as 1st or 3rd)
    3: The Wheel of Time - R Jordan (the ending better not be a flop)
    4: Drenai Series - Gemmell
    5: The Farseer Trilogy - R Hobb
    6: The Tawny Man Trilogy - R Hobb
    7: The Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
    8: His Dark Materials - P Pullman
    9: A Song of Ice and Fire - GRR Martin (being made into a tv series by HBO, just :sogood:)
    10: The Riftwar Saga - RE Feist

An honourable mention would be The Sandman, although it is a graphic novel :p: But it's been so long since I've read many of them, it's hard to choose, and I'm sure I've missed a blinder :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Excellent list! Mine goes something likes this;

1: LOTR - JRR Tolkien
    2: The Ender Series - OS Card (although the 2nd book isn't nearly as good as 1st or 3rd)
    3: The Wheel of Time - R Jordan (the ending better not be a flop)
    4: Drenai Series - Gemmell
    5: The Dune Series - F Herbert
    6: The Farseer Trilogy - R Hobb
    7: The Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis
    8: His Dark Materials - P Pullman
    9: A Song of Ice and Fire - GRR Martin (being made into a tv series by HBO, just :sogood:)
    10: The Riftwar Saga - RE Feist

An honourable mention would be The Sandman, although it is a graphic novel :p: But it's been so long since I've read many of them, it's hard to choose, and I'm sure I've missed a blinder :holmes:
    Great list, there. Orson Scott-Card, David Gemmel and George R. R. Martin would've been the next three that I mentioned lol. HDM would've feature in my top 20 for sure.

I really only liked Dune by Frank Herbert. The next one was so dull, I couldn't finish it :sad:. Reckon I should give them another go?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've read many series.

I love Tolkien, I've read many of his Middle Earth books.
    I've read a few Iain M Banks's Culture novels and 3 of the Hitchhiker's series.

I can't think of anymore, so suppose they'd be my top three! :dontknow:

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.