Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)
    Ooh, I've got that on my to-read list.. along with 50 other books.
    I'm currently in the middle of some exams, so haven't really had much time to read. But I'm about half way through American Gods by Neil Gaiman and Consciousness Explained by Daniel C. Dennett.

Some of my friends find it weird that I read two books at once (while others find it weird that I read at all), but it means I can change around depending on my mood.
    Oooh I've read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and I really enjoyed it! I thought it was quite good... American Gods is actually on my reading list, which is also ludicrously long.
    Mm well when I'm in college I study literature so I've usually got all my college books and then something for me to read, so I frequently read more than one book
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I concern myself with English literature right now and begin with some writings of Agatha Christie.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have an Goodreads account? I love the site, but sadly none of my friends have it; would love to see what other people are reading and get recommendations!

EDIT: Here's mine - I hoped I linked it correctly. (Fans of EL James need not apply. )

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh this thread

(Original post by Mr Porter)
    Anyone have an Goodreads account? I love the site, but sadly none of my friends have it; would love to see what other people are reading and get recommendations!
    My username is eyreheathcliff (if i remember rightly..) if you wish to add me I have some pretty generic lists at the moment but the library near me has been under refurbishment and I'm stingy when it comes to buying books I don't know much about!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Porter)
    I do :yep: I only have a few friends who use it... although one of them is a linguist who seems to read more books than I thought possible so my account just feels inferior in comparison :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophhiee)
    Ahhh this thread

My username is eyreheathcliff (if i remember rightly..) if you wish to add me I have some pretty generic lists at the moment but the library near me has been under refurbishment and I'm stingy when it comes to buying books I don't know much about!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have no idea how to find you! I tried searching your username but it doesn't come up. :erm: You can add me, if you want?

(Original post by manic_fuzz)
    I do :yep: I only have a few friends who use it... although one of them is a linguist who seems to read more books than I thought possible so my account just feels inferior in comparison :lol:
    :awesome: Another medic!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Mr Porter;44111263]I have no idea how to find you! I tried searching your username but it doesn't come up. :erm: You can add me, if you want?

Maybe I didn't remember my username rightly then
    I added you anyway! My to-read shelf is much more interesting than my read shelf...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yesterday, I have read an excerpt from Charlote Bronte's novel Jane Eyre. In this excerpt the town Millcote is mentioned. But as foreigner who don't live in Great Britain I wonder whether the town exists or its just a fictional one. When I googled it I can't locate the town...

ReputationRep:
    I've started using Goodreads more now, especially since my booklist has been growing steadily..

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6155801-gunjan

I also just finished American Gods. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest.. I really liked the story behind it, but didn't feel very satisfied with the way it turned out.

Anyway, I'm going to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy now.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing the 2013 Reading Challenge on Goodreads? I've set mine at 60, after only getting 54/100 last year. Currently 10 books behind schedule, but I remain optimistic!

ReputationRep:
    x
    I've added you as well :yep:

(Original post by knope)
    Is anyone doing the 2013 Reading Challenge on Goodreads? I've set mine at 60, after only getting 54/100 last year. Currently 10 books behind schedule, but I remain optimistic!
    I might have set mine at 1 book just to have ensured that I definitely reached it... not quite the definition of challenge but hey-ho :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold? I thought the plot sounded very interesting, but it's received some pretty awful reviews on Goodreads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Yesterday, I have read an excerpt from Charlote Bronte's novel Jane Eyre. In this excerpt the town Millcote is mentioned. But as foreigner who don't live in Great Britain I wonder whether the town exists or its just a fictional one. When I googled it I can't locate the town...
    Fictional.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone read much of Hermann Hesse? I'm reading Steppenwolf at the moment, pacing myself with it so I have time to think it over. Always find Hesse's ability to draw you in to these philosophical discussions amazing, although I wish I didn't have to read in translation.

(Original post by SixteenHundred)
    Has anyone read much of Hermann Hesse? I'm reading Steppenwolf at the moment, pacing myself with it so I have time to think it over. Always find Hesse's ability to draw you in to these philosophical discussions amazing, although I wish I didn't have to read in translation.
    Siddhartha is very high on my to-read list. :yep:

I've recently read some more Lu Hsun - Medicine and A Madman's Diary - and will begin to read some short stories based in China very soon. :holmes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Fictional.
    Thanks for answer. I'm not surprised anymore why I didn't find this town on a map.

ReputationRep:
    I've started using Goodreads more now, especially since my booklist has been growing steadily..

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6155801-gunjan

I also just finished American Gods. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest.. I really liked the story behind it, but didn't feel very satisfied with the way it turned out.

Anyway, I'm going to read The Road by Cormac McCarthy now.
    Neil Gaiman can be a little like that; sometimes he doesn't sustain his ideas throughout a novel. I actually disagree on American Gods as it happens, though, but if you want to read something along the same lines with a slightly more focussed plot try Anansi Boys.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think the battle works very well with the idea of divine trickery which is always happening in mythology and then the ending with the kobold intensifies the ideas about faith and change over time.

ReputationRep:
    Neil Gaiman can be a little like that; sometimes he doesn't sustain his ideas throughout a novel. I actually disagree on American Gods as it happens, though, but if you want to read something along the same lines with a slightly more focussed plot try Anansi Boys.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I think the battle works very well with the idea of divine trickery which is always happening in mythology and then the ending with the kobold intensifies the ideas about faith and change over time.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I liked the ending with Kobold, I thought that was nicely done. But I was just expecting a bit more I guess.
    Not sure if I should try another one of Gaiman's books.. I loved the commencement speech he gave, and his interviews are always enjoyable to watch.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I liked the ending with Kobold, I thought that was nicely done. But I was just expecting a bit more I guess.
    Not sure if I should try another one of Gaiman's books.. I loved the commencement speech he gave, and his interviews are always enjoyable to watch.
    I've read all of his novels for adults and a few of his young adult ones and would recommend Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, American Gods, and Coraline to anyone (Neverwhere also has a great Radio 4 adaptation which just aired with a fantastic cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee, Natalie Dormer, Bernard Cribbins and James McAvoy). If you like Terry Pratchett or just want something to tone down the Gaiman-ness then Good Omens is great as it's a collaboration, and it's got a good mix of humour with the fantasy elements. Nowhere near as heady as American Gods and never aspires to be, but fun for a light read! Sorry to be so enthusiastic, hardly anyone I know has read anything of Gaiman's so I'm keen to talk about his books.

Good luck with The Road btw, it's miserable but beautifully written from what I've read of it!

ReputationRep:
    I've read all of his novels for adults and a few of his young adult ones and would recommend Neverwhere, Anansi Boys, American Gods, and Coraline to anyone (Neverwhere also has a great Radio 4 adaptation which just aired with a fantastic cast including Benedict Cumberbatch, Christopher Lee, Natalie Dormer, Bernard Cribbins and James McAvoy). If you like Terry Pratchett or just want something to tone down the Gaiman-ness then Good Omens is great as it's a collaboration, and it's got a good mix of humour with the fantasy elements. Nowhere near as heady as American Gods and never aspires to be, but fun for a light read! Sorry to be so enthusiastic, hardly anyone I know has read anything of Gaiman's so I'm keen to talk about his books.

Good luck with The Road btw, it's miserable but beautifully written from what I've read of it!
    Ah yes, that reminds me I need to read some Terry Pratchett's Disc World series books. I read a Colour of Magic, but I've been told to read Mort or Going Postal which are supposed to be better. Thanks for the recommendations - will need to add them to my four page book list.

I really liked The Road. It was very simple, but the writing and the relationship between father and child was really well done.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    A Madman's Diary - and will begin to read some short stories based in China very soon. :holmes:
    I just looked this up, looks like a very interesting read. Will definitely put it at the top of my book list.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.