The Literary Society Watch

panda11
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by yo-less)
New discussion; What is your view on LoTR?
Still not read it... I have an aversion to read books that get hyped up (eg. The Da Vinci Code) plus I'm not mad on fantasy. Anyone want to convince me to read it?
Mimo
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by panda11)
Still not read it... I have an aversion to read books that get hyped up (eg. The Da Vinci Code) plus I'm not mad on fantasy. Anyone want to convince me to read it?
I know what you mean, I have avoided books such as the Philip Pullman's books because of the hype (which is perhaps a shame as I may have really enjoyed them.) However, you cannot compare books like Lord of the Rings to the Da Vinci Code....Lord of the Rings is on a whole different level.
I don't think that anyone can really convince anyone to read anything because it's ultimately up to them to decide. Perhaps the thickness of the book can be daunting but I'm sure you won't regret the day that you ignore all the hype and just pick it up that book.
Leigh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
My Opinion On LotR:

Great books are detailed, have depth, strong characters, strong emotions and strong relationships, as well as originality and creativity. Tolkien has all of these in LotR, the storyline is powerful, epic, with many well written parts and characters that could as good as exist.

Unforunately, a good book must also be accessible, and readable. LotR is regarded as one of the toughest books around (popular books that is). I don't believe a book should be this highly acclaimed and hyped when it is so reknowned for being so unwelcoming, having many (the whole of Two Towers?) sections of long, unecessary narrative and tangents, and generally not being a very easy to hold onto book.

I have read it, and I agree, it's a great story, but as a book (encompassing the whole reading experience), it has some large flaws that do stand out a lot.
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Very long winded in places but rather enjoyable all the same. It is no mean feat to complete the trilogoy and The Hobbit.
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by panda11)
Hmm I did not bother to read The Da Vini Code either and I am not one for fantasy particularly, however LOTR in my opinion is in a league of its own. It is a classic that must be read or at least skimmed over. Try reading The Hobbit to get you interested. It is rather clever in the way in which everything falls into place in later books and references from past encounters/adventures made. All in all well written if not a lengthy read.
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 12 years ago
New discussion; What is your view on LoTR?
I don't really like LoTR. I can understand its place within literature and why so many love and adore it but the book does nothing for me. I try to read it but I am just left feeling alienated and unable to involve myself in the story. Not really my preferred genre anyway. I avoid most books which fall under that category.

Also I am always put off from reading it because of the hype surrounding LoTR and the way in which society in general expects everyone who reads such things to share the this is the best thing since sliced bread view and agree that it is just fantastic. The genre is just not to my taste at all.
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am not really a fan of modern fantasy stuff, it is extremely dull and the titles are ridiculous. Book Three of Chapter 8 in the quartet of fire. Characters have names like Toksenki and Herolda... Sorry I know I am sterotyping but LoTR has never seemed that bad to me. Perhaps as it is older fantasy fiction and not so modern and
yo-less
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by staylor)
What about Steven Erikson anyone?
What did he write?!:hmmm:

_________

staylor is now also a leader of this society. Everyone bow down.
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:adore:
staylor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What did he write?!:hmmm:

_________

staylor is now also a leader of this society. Everyone bow down.
What did he write ?!?!?!?!"!

Only the greatest series of fantasy literature anywhere ever! (The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KingLeigh)
My Opinion On LotR:

Great books are detailed, have depth, strong characters, strong emotions and strong relationships, as well as originality and creativity. Tolkien has all of these in LotR, the storyline is powerful, epic, with many well written parts and characters that could as good as exist.

Unforunately, a good book must also be accessible, and readable. LotR is regarded as one of the toughest books around (popular books that is). I don't believe a book should be this highly acclaimed and hyped when it is so reknowned for being so unwelcoming, having many (the whole of Two Towers?) sections of long, unecessary narrative and tangents, and generally not being a very easy to hold onto book.

I have read it, and I agree, it's a great story, but as a book (encompassing the whole reading experience), it has some large flaws that do stand out a lot.
Not by those who've read Ulysses I assure you!
yo-less
Report 12 years ago
What did he write ?!?!?!?!"!

Only the greatest series of fantasy literature anywhere ever! (The Malazan Book of the Fallen)
I thought that was Robin Hobb.

Actually, I thought that you thought that was Robin Hobb:rolleyes:
happydinosaur
Report 12 years ago
[quote=Jayjayjay]
(Original post by _EMMA_)
we need something new to discuss here.........
how about books that are turned into films are they always worse than the books?QUOTE]
Mostly always, they tend to ruin the image you have in your minds eye.
I don't have a problem with books that I love being adapted for the big screen. It never really bothers me that the images I had are ruined, because to me they aren't being ruined. I like books being adapted to films as it lets me see how other people (the director of the film) imagine the book to be, which is such a wonderful experience. If it is just a rubbish film then obviously I don't like it but if the film is able to stand up as a fantastic film in its own right then great, to me that suggest that those making the film have a love for the literature just like I do. Maybe this is just the theatre student coming out from within me but there is something wonderful about being able to share someones vision with them. I love the Harry Potter films (well not the first one..) not just because I love the books but because they are really great films. Ok so they are not exactly how I imagined it but if I wanted to see that on a big screen then I would produce a film myself. It would actually be interesting to see more versions of the Harry Potter stories as films in the future to share other interpretations.
LpLex
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jayjayjay)
It would actually be interesting to see more versions of the Harry Potter stories as films in the future to share other interpretations.
yeah it might actually end up like the James bond series, with lots of different actors as HP, im just guessing.
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i've read all the Dan Brown books,they're good. Harry Potter also lol erm... i've read this book about this boy on a quest for treasure in Egypt and he's Spanish, can't remember what it's called now,but it's good....i can't remember the names of the books i've read i haven't read in a while...must start again...
happydinosaur
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lp999)
yeah it might actually end up like the James bond series, with lots of different actors as HP, im just guessing.
Nice to see that you quoted what I wrote as something another member wrote...:rolleyes:

That could be an interesting development to the Harry Potter series...
staylor
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sparklyteacosie)
Nice to see that you quoted what I wrote as something another member wrote...:rolleyes:

They could rotate the actors - in the next film, whoever played Ron could play Harry. Daniel Radcliffe would end up as Hermione.
La Trampa
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i never watch the harry potter movies,they don't do justice to the book.
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sparklyteacosie)

:p: I was just thinking that I did not type that...Good point though. I am not bright enough to think up stuff like that..
yo-less
Report 12 years ago
They could rotate the actors - in the next film, whoever played Ron could play Harry. Daniel Radcliffe would end up as Hermione.
Or Hermione could play Harry, Ron could play Hermione and Harry could play Ron. That would make it interesting as the old Harry and the old Ron have to now act as if they're two quarelling lovers(ie; Ron and Hermione).

(Original post by Shylock)
i never watch the harry potter movies,they don't do justice to the book.
I keep thinking I won't watch the next movie but I don't have the will power to keep to that And then I end up grumbling about how terrible it was on TSR till the next movie is released...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (24)
17.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (54)
39.13%
Nope, not that interesting (60)
43.48%

Watched Threads