The Literary Society Watch

Psycho Gerbil
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Has anyone read any series' by David and Leigh Eddings? And if you have, which ones?

My favourite has to be the Belgariad, the first set of theirs I read, but I think that the basic idea is just copied into all the other sets. Any views?
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by staylor)
I read the first 2 - pretty good books actually. When does the third actually get released?
er...i'll check and let you know
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
new discussion for this thread

do you think Harry Potter is satanic,and what are your views on the whole issue?
Piggsil
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yo-less)

do you think Harry Potter is satanic,and what are your views on the whole issue?
Satanic? Do you just mean crap or do you actually mean that it has links with the devil?
Madelyn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think he has HIV, and the whole wizard/Voldemort thing is just a metaphor. My evidence lies in um...that bit in Order of the Phoenix where he says something about it feeling like he has some horrible virus and no one wants to touch him. I think it's just after he has the dream about Arthur Weasley.
I actually quite like Harry Potter, they're very well written, well plotted children's books, but they are over-hyped - they're not that good. I also realised (when I was re-reading book five as light relief from exams) that Sir John Fortescue was once Head of Hogwarts. That made my day.
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
Satanic? Do you just mean crap or do you actually mean that it has links with the devil?
my religion teacher goes on about how it has links with the devil
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
my religion teacher goes on about how it has links with the devil
LOL. That's like saying when you play 'stairway to heaven' backwards it says stuff about the devil!! :rofl:
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Isn't it because HP appears to promote witches and wizards and magic and things? Do these fules not realise that magic has nothing to do with satanism, that Satan is himself merely an invention of their own religions, and that magic has roots much further back than most western religions?
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
Isn't it because HP appears to promote witches and wizards and magic and things? Do these fules not realise that magic has nothing to do with satanism, that Satan is himself merely an invention of their own religions, and that magic has roots much further back than most western religions?
:eek: Let's not get into a discussion about religion! Save that for Debate and Discussion forum!
staylor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Frankly, I find that idea stupid. Incredibly so.

Even if it did, who cares? If it has taken 5 books for somebody to notice something small which points in that general direction its not going to kill anybody is it?
Constantine
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes.
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Constantine)
Yes.
Yes what?
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yes please?
Piggsil
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Madelyn)
Yes please?
Here you go.
Madelyn
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Thank you.
yo-less
Report 13 years ago
i think Constantine is trying to say he thinks HP is satanic
staylor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I assumed he was just saying yes to me. surely you've done it? Somebody talks for a while then stops. There is a pause and then you say 'yes'.
~nat~
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

mornin' to all bookworms!
I have never even thought about HP being satanic at all! I just think that its a very clever children's book, and take it at face value...
Xanthe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you have never read 'The Secret History' by Donna Tartt, you must do so at once! Ideal for anyone contemplating attending university, it is considered to be the ultimate university novel. I would thoroughly recommend it.
Weejimmie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Harry Potter is worse than satanic. It isn't very good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.52%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (221)
41.08%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.41%

Watched Threads