Turn on thread page Beta

The Literary Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo-less)
    What order did you guys read the Dan Brown books in?
    For me it was;
    1. De Vinci Code
    2. Angels and Demons
    3. Decpetion point
    4. Digital Fortress

Maybe that's why I didn't like the last so much, I read all 3 in quick succession and possibly grew abit tired if that style?
    Deception Point
    Angel and Demons
    Digital Fortress (I was waiting for my Uncle to finish reading Da Vinci Code :p: )
    Da Vinci Code

ReputationRep:
    Da Vinci Code
    Angels and Demons
    Deception Point

Halfway through digital Fortress - forgot to bring it home :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staylor)
    Da Vinci Code
    Angels and Demons
    Deception Point

Halfway through digital Fortress - forgot to bring it home :rolleyes:
    silly :rolleyes: :p:

Am I alone in my view that Dan Brown books are slightly over hyped?

*runs to hide from the army of fans with heavy wepons ready to attack*

ReputationRep:
    the grail conspiracy is a good one.. just waiting for the big film to hit the screen.

ReputationRep:
    I finished Digital Fortress last night, I have to say the ending left me a bit flat...it took them ages to guess what I had figured out already :rolleyes: It was still a good book, kept me engrossed until the end

Next please!

(Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    Am I alone in my view that Dan Brown books are slightly over hyped?

*runs to hide from the army of fans with heavy wepons ready to attack*
    No, they are. If you look at the Da Vinci code thread in this subforum, you'll see quite alot Dan Brown bashing going on. Mainly because of his style of writing (same formula in each book etc) and his characters.

ReputationRep:
    His books are over-hyped, I enjoyed Da Vinci Code but I wouldn't rave about it.
    I think it's the supposed 'conspiracy theories' in it that just fuelled people - but I was just very 'meh' about them, I can't take things like those that seriously in a fiction book.

Also, it disturbed the Church. No better way to attract readers than to ruffle a few Holy feathers

ReputationRep:
    Also, it disturbed the Church. No better way to attract readers than to ruffle a few Holy feathers
    And that's pretty easy to do, they've been quite touchy. Other people may jump on the Dan Brown bandwagon - just to irritate them.

ReputationRep:
    is it wrong that the only reason i am slightly tempted to read wuthering heights is because of the kate bush song ?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    nope not at all gemby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemby!)
    is it wrong that the only reason i am slightly tempted to read wuthering heights is because of the kate bush song ?
    it's not wrong at all. I intend to read it soon and that's only because I saw the musical Heathcliff and it made me want to read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemby!)
    I LOVE that song. Still doesn't persuade me to read W.H. though.

ReputationRep:
    I've read The Da Vinci Code...........it was excellent, well written fiction and non-fiction book...........loved it so much I read the whole book in 3 hours!!!! Then I read Dan Browns other 3 books, all in 1 week!!!

Won't spoil it for you, but u gotta read the others as well.

Try reading James Patterson, Erica Spindler and Alex Kava books..........they're pretty good murder mysteries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panda11)
    I LOVE that song. Still doesn't persuade me to read W.H. though.
    i might get around to it sometime ... meanwhile i will enjoy the song

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just like to introduce myself now that i've just joined the Soc. Strangly I have almost the exact same book tastes as Staylor

James Barclay (very good and original)
    James Clemens (these grew on me - some interesting ideas)
    Ian Irvine (WHO IS THE NUMINATOR!?)
    Trudi Canavan (not bad books, all good but not on par with the very best like Hobb)
    Robin Hobb (perhaps the best books EVER)
    Robert Jordan (surprisingly good)
    Terry Pratchett (do Ineed to tell you)
    Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman (tend to work on same books)
    Garth Nix (obviously)
    J.K.Rowling (whatever anyone says)
    Especially Nix, Clemens and Irvine!

ReputationRep:
    I just can't finish death of a salesman - arthur miller !

(Original post by BBGirl)
    I've read The Da Vinci Code...........it was excellent, well written fiction and non-fiction book...........loved it so much I read the whole book in 3 hours!!!! Then I read Dan Browns other 3 books, all in 1 week!!!

Won't spoil it for you, but u gotta read the others as well.

Try reading James Patterson, Erica Spindler and Alex Kava books..........they're pretty good murder mysteries.
    Does anyone know if there was a book following the Lake House?

In other news, my friend just gave me the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Sword of Truth novels as a Valentine present I was so thrilled!

ReputationRep:
    I just can't finish death of a salesman - arthur miller !
    *sniggers*

Cant blame anyone for that!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.