The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

the librarian in my school is nice we chat with her all the time...our library is wierd though it's more like a common room lol
Reply 1301
Shylock
the librarian in my school is nice we chat with her all the time...our library is wierd though it's more like a common room lol

*Sighs* would that it was the same for us. Our librarian is a nice enough person, but omg typical! Even though I probably hold the record for "most books borrowed and read" in the school - ever! - she still picks on me for talking, sometimes even when I'm not! :eek:.

I have to say, though... I am a pretty talkative person, I just wish soft whispering was allowed :frown:.
Reply 1302
A suggestion for y'all:

On another forum I use, they have a Book Of The Month thread; each month the members vote from a selection of books, and the winner becomes the book of the month; everyone obtains a copy from their library or wherever and they all read it throughout the month and discuss it.

Anybody be up for that do you think?
That sounds like a good idea:smile: though I can see there being disagreements about which books as in what genre they are etc make the line up as everybody has different tastes.
Reply 1304
Indeed, that's why we'd a) have a different genre each month and b) let everyone make suggestions, then shortlist the popular ones, then vote on those and read the most popular?
Obviously if it was a genre you particularly hated, you could just miss that month. But the idea would be for people to try new things and what not, but you know.
King Leigh
Indeed, that's why we'd a) have a different genre each month and b) let everyone make suggestions, then shortlist the popular ones, then vote on those and read the most popular?
Obviously if it was a genre you particularly hated, you could just miss that month. But the idea would be for people to try new things and what not, but you know.

that means we'd have to look for the books then borrow them...:rolleyes: like oprah's reading club...too much hassle me thinks sorry
Reply 1306
'Tis only a case of going to the local library. I wasn't thinking anything obscure, the odd classic, and other books of the popular areas.
Was just a suggestion; would only be worth doing if a group of us felt it was worth the effort anyway. Reading a book just because someone else says you should is probably more hassle than just finding it in the first place!
Reply 1307
I think that's a fantastic idea! I'd be up for it, if you set it all up... I'm too lazy to do it myself lol.
Reply 1308
Depending on the books, yeah - maybe.
Reply 1309
Ok, well thats potentially three people, and yo-less seemed to think it was a good idea. I'm happy to try it with 4 people, so as long as yo-less doesn't object to me stealing responsibility of her society stuffs, I'll start a thread to attempt to take suggestions and set up the first vote on the first book?
Reply 1310
I vote for Schrodingers Cat!
Reply 1311
King Leigh
Ok, well thats potentially three people, and yo-less seemed to think it was a good idea. I'm happy to try it with 4 people, so as long as yo-less doesn't object to me stealing responsibility of her society stuffs, I'll start a thread to attempt to take suggestions and set up the first vote on the first book?

I say we assemble the nominations here and once they're finalized, start a thread with a poll with an option for each nominee.

We could hide the poll results until a certain date to make it exciting and spur interest:biggrin:
Reply 1312
We're onyl at the nomination stage? Oh, well I nominate Schrodingers Cat!
Sounds like a good idea to me!
sounds good to me! :biggrin:
Reply 1315
OK yo-less, sounds like a good idea. My reasoning was that some people who are not members of the society, or don't look in here so often may also be interested, and we may pull a few of those in too, but we'll keep it here for now.

I figure the best way to nominate and shortlist would be to answer a set of questions as follows:

Title and Author
Genre
Pages
Reason For Nominating

(Ok, I intended the list to be a bit fuller than that, more like a small questionnaire, but that'll do unless anyone has any additions?)

And perhaps the criteria should be:

A book you yourself have not read but intended to.
A book no too obscure; remember other people need to be able to aquire it.

Of course it'd be easy for everyone to nominate a different book, and shortlisting would be very difficult then. If someone else mentions a book that would maybe have been in your top 20 nominations or so, consider seconding that instead of making a new nomination.

Anyone have and objections to my two bold lists?
Reply 1316
Nay! (about the objections).

I've read Schrodingers Cat now :frown:

Title: Schrodingers Kittens
Genre: 'Reference' if you ask Smiths.
Pages: Several (about 270)
Reason for Nomintating: Everyone likes quantum physics.
i still haven't started on the book i borrowed :frown:
Reply 1318
King Leigh

And perhaps the criteria should be:

A book you yourself have not read but intended to.
A book no too obscure; remember other people need to be able to aquire it.

Of course it'd be easy for everyone to nominate a different book, and shortlisting would be very difficult then. If someone else mentions a book that would maybe have been in your top 20 nominations or so, consider seconding that instead of making a new nomination.

Anyone have and objections to my two bold lists?

so i nominate a book i havent read yet? sorry.. dont really get it.. :frown:
Reply 1319
Evil-Tuna
Sorry bout immaturity, it just was so tempting, plus i was not sober.

hoho.. :biggrin: no prob. its fun to read tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending