Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_Singh)
    Well, at the moment, my exams take precedence. So all my reading time - literally - is invested the in the reading of my text books.

But once they are over... well, there's only so much guitar I can play in 24 hours, and only so much sport and I play, too. Even my playstation gets dull after a few hours. I'll need something to do, and that'll motivate me into finding all these books .

All in all, it's a pretty thorough system lol.
    lol, my exams are finished and the last of my coursework is handed in, and i've only finished 1 of the 6 books i was reading.

ReputationRep:
    :hello:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elements)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    lol, my exams are finished and the last of my coursework is handed in, and i've only finished 1 of the 6 books i was reading.
    Haha, it's alright for some! Mine start come this Wednesday. Damn, but I've a long way to go...

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh, can I join in? Lol...

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I hate trashy magazines/novels. They always seem to be written for people who have a reading age of 3, with no capacity for polysyllabic words or any kind of complex structure. What worries me is the amount of people who read them .

Same here! They bring down literature!
    You see; this was my argument FOR Narnia a few pages back with someone else!

ReputationRep:
    Ye Gads!!! That was like...3pages in a few hours??! A chance to CATCH UP please?

ReputationRep:
    You're saying Narnia brought down the level of literacy? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You're saying Narnia brought down the level of literacy? :confused:
    It was with Steph when I complained that Charlotte's Web won book of the millenium for kids over Narnia as a runner up, and her argument was that kids of today found the latter easier to read.. or more userfriendly.. (I'm not disagreeing) But its just so sad.. books like Narnia that are classics, go unappreciated because people appreciate literature less and less..

ReputationRep:
    I'm prob shouldn't even TRY to respond to convos from a couple of hours earlier.. they're a few pages gone now! *sulk* lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I'm prob shouldn't even TRY to respond to convos from a couple of hours earlier.. they're a few pages gone now! *sulk* lol
    Lol, don't worry... I remember the conversation you're talking about.

I don't think people appreciate the literature less... now that I think about it. I think it's more a matter of not appreciating literature at all .

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've negatively rep'd anyone, yet. Nobody that I've come across deserves one... well, almost nobody :p:. But, like you, I prefer to give out positive reps. :top:
    *can't resist*

(Original post by )
    The charateristics, or lack of them, that constitutes one being disabled in education is silly. I am perfect in every way, but I know someone who knew someone that was friends with someone that was ugly. Is this abnormality considered to warrent a place on your society, or like the educational institutions around the UK, do you not accept this high level of disability from applicants?
    This is the only post I've ever negged. I couldn't BELIEVE this when I found some person had pitched up on the Disabled post and posted this!
    Manic! Why???!

ReputationRep:
    I concur

ReputationRep:
    Lol, don't worry... I remember the conversation you're talking about.

I don't think people appreciate the literature less... now that I think about it. I think it's more a matter of not appreciating literature at all .
    LOL.. tis true. Although If I was there at the time I think I would have disagreed slightly with some of Element's sentiments. I am also frustrated with the kind of trash people read.. and the rubbishness of pop culture.. but after spending two years at a college in Andover where most kids have had no cultural upbringing of any shape form or description and live on Eastenders (and those are the better off in the college)..I've really felt much more sympathetic of people who are like that cause I realise that unless you come from a family that encourage you to have an enquiring mind, and give you the right resources..well..you're kind of bound to grow up that way because its all you know!

ReputationRep:
    *can't resist*
    [/COLOR]
    Can't resist what, exactly... *looks warily at his User CP* lol

ReputationRep:
    Can't resist what, exactly... *looks warily at his User CP* lol
    LOL! I couldn't resist replying to that..even after saying I wasn't going to try and 'catch up' with the multitude of posts that had sprung out of nowhere!

Heh.. if I negged you, you'd lose a grand total of THREE POINTS! *drumroll* (Quake in your boots!)

ReputationRep:
    LOL.. tis true. Although If I was there at the time I think I would have disagreed slightly with some of Element's sentiments. I am also frustrated with the kind of trash people read.. and the rubbishness of pop culture.. but after spending two years at a college in Andover where most kids have had no cultural upbringing of any shape form or description and live on Eastenders (and those are the better off in the college)..I've really felt much more sympathetic of people who are like that cause I realise that unless you come from a family that encourage you to have an enquiring mind, and give you the right resources..well..you're kind of bound to grow up that way because its all you know!
    I think that there's a difference between being ignorant, and willfully closing your eyes to the truth. I think that's what I was trying (unsuccessfully) to impart unto Elements. No matter what your upbringing, if you can't be honest with yourself, then you can blame no one for your actions.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! I couldn't resist replying to that..even after saying I wasn't going to try and 'catch up' with the multitude of posts that had sprung out of nowhere!

Heh.. if I negged you, you'd lose a grand total of THREE POINTS! *drumroll* (Quake in your boots!)
    Lol, that's three points that I guard and treasure jealously. According to the number of jewels I have, I'm just really nice .

ReputationRep:
    I think that there's a difference between being ignorant, and willfully closing your eyes to the truth. I think that's what I was trying (unsuccessfully) to impart unto Elements. No matter what your upbringing, if you can't be honest with yourself, then you can blame no one for your actions.
    Yes, I read you loud and clear. And I am of your opinion..as I understand it. Your comment about not blame shifting wasn't meant to apply to EVERY situation..
    And there is a major distinction between ignorance and willful conformism.. Which is why its really not helpful to judge based on the 'symptoms'...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I read you loud and clear. And I am of your opinion..as I understand it. Your comment about not blame shifting wasn't meant to apply to EVERY situation..
    And there is a major distinction between ignorance and willful conformism.. Which is why its really not helpful to judge based on the 'symptoms'...
    Aye, lass, methinks ye ken whut I wus intendin' ta say.

:p:.

Glad you feel the same way!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2015
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.