Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Its all on my profile (as I'm sure Steph would hasten to remind you)
    I'm not feeling ready for my exams, even though I worked sooo so so hard this year.. For two reasons..
    1: My Bio lecturer DIDNT TEACH this year..so I have taught myself from the textbook. Its fine.. I don't mind in theory..its not hard..but boy oh boy does it take up all your time! So where Bio is usually my forte..I'm struggling to get all the details safely under the familiar zone simply because there's been no practise..and no application..just a one off read and a few notes!

Chem.. well I'm fine at Chem and I do well in class (C or B) which is fine for me cause I suck at Maths and I'm much more of an Arts minded person anyway.. But I kept getting Es last year! And in my Jan exam! Which was a shock..cause I didn't find them hard..and I did revise..and I got Bs and As for the practise papers!

Sooo...I've already done 7 exams.. 5 resits.. and I've got so much work I'm near tears! And I have 7 more coming! AAAKK! There aren't hours in the day!
    Woah, sounds harsh. I hope you do well in all that - I'm sure you will. That kind of dedication rarely goes unrewarded... and you sound intelligent enough . You'll be fine, I'm sure... but in case you need that little bit of luck: Good luck! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_Singh)
    Haha, well, I suspect there's a compliment in there somewhere, so thank you for it .

I have an interesting capacity to think about things that no one my age should be thinking about. In some ways it's a shame, but in others it's an advantage...

I guess I have a tendency to type in a manner formal enough to be thought of as someone from a private school. :top:
    Sounds like I've found a kindred spirit...lol. But actually.. I think you've just confirmed yourself as a genuine bookworm! The sort who started using big words long before they knew what they meant (or how to pronounce them ) simply from reading too much.. and the sort who got labelled 'dictionary' at school...

*feel welcome to retaliate if I've overdone the stereotype...haha*

ReputationRep:
    Woah, sounds harsh. I hope you do well in all that - I'm sure you will. That kind of dedication rarely goes unrewarded... and you sound intelligent enough . You'll be fine, I'm sure... but in case you need that little bit of luck: Good luck! :yy:
    Lol..thanks!
    Although I have to say that I've often wished everyone didn't assume I'd be fine! heheh

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like I've found a kindred spirit...lol. But actually.. I think you've just confirmed yourself as a genuine bookworm! The sort who started using big words long before they knew what they meant (or how to pronounce them ) simply from reading too much.. and the sort who got labelled 'dictionary' at school...

It's interesting how you nailed that stereotype right on the head .

I guess I partially ruin the stereotype by being very active and into sports and fitness, as well as compter games and I spend every available hour listening to music and playing my guitar lol.

Your right about mispronouncing long words... sometimes I read them, and I can even infer what they mean... but I sound like an idiot when I say them out loud. One example comes to mind: the word "epitome". I always pronounced it how it's spelt... "epi-tome" rather than "epi-tommy". Also "wrath" I pronounced as "wrath" rather than "wroth". Ah well, I learn from my mistakes lol.

ReputationRep:
    Lol..thanks!
    Although I have to say that I've often wished everyone didn't assume I'd be fine! heheh
    You know, I've felt exactly the same way. Everyone seems to think that because I show signs of life by using my brain on occasion, that everything will turn out ok for me...

It sure doesn't feel that way! lol.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting how you nailed that stereotype right on the head .

I guess I partially ruin the stereotype by being very active and into sports and fitness, as well as compter games and I spend every available hour listening to music and playing my guitar lol.

Your right about mispronouncing long words... sometimes I read them, and I can even infer what they mean... but I sound like an idiot when I say them out loud. One example comes to mind: the word "epitome". I always pronounced it how it's spelt... "epi-tome" rather than "epi-tommy". Also "wrath" I pronounced as "wrath" rather than "wroth". Ah well, I learn from my mistakes lol.
    I can't even count all of my such mistakes! People have come to take them as part and parcel with me...

I'd like to think I also break the rules... (see my socs) I am a crazy climber..and I hike as often as I can. Don't do the playstation though...(too much of a girl perhaps)

ReputationRep:
    You know, I've felt exactly the same way. Everyone seems to think that because I show signs of life by using my brain on occasion, that everything will turn out ok for me...

It sure doesn't feel that way! lol.
    Its about pressure isn't it? I think it puts one under a sort of subconscious pressure. You begin to feel as though you have something to live up to, and concerned that you'll let people down, or not meet their expecations. It isn't logical, but that's what goes on at a very primal level..and gets out of hand if you don't look it square in the eye.

Laughably.. the nightmare happened to me! I got an E..but it didn't change anything.. People still thought I was smart.. my classmates and lecturer still insisted I was totally competent at Chem... It just proves how much pressure we take on subconsciously..

Darn.. I shouldn't waffle when I'm this tired!

ReputationRep:
    I can't even count all of my such mistakes! People have come to take them as part and parcel with me...

I'd like to think I also break the rules... (see my socs) I am a crazy climber..and I hike as often as I can. Don't do the playstation though...(too much of a girl perhaps)
    :five: Woohoo, we're rebels to the stereotype!

I know some girls who like playing PlayStation! But generally speaking, you're right... it's a guy thing haha. Maybe it's something of a trend that people who like to read are diverse and cultured individuals :cool: :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Lol..thanks!
    I know about that, i often feel as if i'll be exiled if i fail at something, as everyone(except me) is so confident i'll pass.

ReputationRep:
    :five: Woohoo, we're rebels to the stereotype!

I know some girls who like playing PlayStation! But generally speaking, you're right... it's a guy thing haha. Maybe it's something of a trend that people who like to read are diverse and cultured individuals :cool: :p:.
    Mmm.. its a nice thought I'll take it..lol

Prob is a trend..(not exclusive..but I'm sure you don't meant that)

You know.. I think the playstation and sport thing for me is that my younger brother was born with an overdose of innate sporting talent, and gaming savvy.. Consequently (as served him right) he was rubbish at reading.. it was a battle for him..
    He's getting there. I read all of Narnia to him a few years ago.. which helped him become interested enough to read it for himself..
    As for me.. I grew up completely rubbish at all sport (except hockey..but I didn't work well in a team so it sucked) until someone offered me a job in a Climbing Centre when I was 15.. which changed my life! You should try it sometime! It really is addictive!

ReputationRep:
    Its about pressure isn't it? I think it puts one under a sort of subconscious pressure. You begin to feel as though you have something to live up to, and concerned that you'll let people down, or not meet their expecations. It isn't logical, but that's what goes on at a very primal level..and gets out of hand if you don't look it square in the eye.

Laughably.. the nightmare happened to me! I got an E..but it didn't change anything.. People still thought I was smart.. my classmates and lecturer still insisted I was totally competent at Chem... It just proves how much pressure we take on subconsciously..

Darn.. I shouldn't waffle when I'm this tired!
    You're right in that sense: pressure is put upon us through our subconscious. I guess it's probably that very same self-imagined pressure that everyone feels that affects a result. There is, of course, the very real pressure of survival and the need to achieve, but I think mostly we let ourselves down by our own mental insecurities.

It's against my nature to blame others for my short comings or failings - I feel more inclined to accept responsibility for my own actions. That's why I'm saying the pressure is self-inflicted... after all, I'm sure the other person didn'tintend to pressure us; merely compliment us.

ReputationRep:

I never got labelled 'Dictionary' but i was often accused of swallowing/eating them

ReputationRep:
    Mmm.. its a nice thought I'll take it..lol

Prob is a trend..(not exclusive..but I'm sure you don't meant that)

You know.. I think the playstation and sport thing for me is that my younger brother was born with an overdose of innate sporting talent, and gaming savvy.. Consequently (as served him right) he was rubbish at reading.. it was a battle for him..
    He's getting there. I read all of Narnia to him a few years ago.. which helped him become interested enough to read it for himself..
    As for me.. I grew up completely rubbish at all sport (except hockey..but I didn't work well in a team so it sucked) until someone offered me a job in a Climbing Centre when I was 15.. which changed my life! You should try it sometime! It really is addictive!
    Haha, woah. I need to slow down on what I have to do this summer! I picked up the guitar last year... I'm addicted to it now, probably in much the same way you took to climbing.

There's already plans to meet up with millions of people, a BBQ at my house, a trip with my best friend to Cyprus... arrrrgh! It's all piling up, and I've not even done my exams yet!

But climbing sounds fun, and I've always wanted to try it. I've done the reverse: absailing (abseiling?)... (I'm pretty sure that's incorrectly spelt, but at 1:07 I can be forgiven, possibly lol)... which I really enjoyed .

ReputationRep:
    It's against my nature to blame others for my short comings or failings - I feel more inclined to accept responsibility for my own actions. That's why I'm saying the pressure is self-inflicted... after all, I'm sure the other person didn'tintend to pressure us; merely compliment us.
    Yes.. as you were saying a few pages back.
    I don't FEEL inclined to accept responsibility (hohoh) but I accept it by choice because it is the only way to move forward, and be truly independent (in the positive sense.. I dont mean island-style)

Naturally most people do intend to encourage and build us up. Which is almost all the more reason while it takes a while for us to identify where the pressure we're 'subconsciously' experiencing is coming from (I dont mean as a fault of.. but in relation to..) I only flag this up, because it is then that we need to make a choice not to allow ourselves to stress and panic based on this pressure, by focusing on the reality .. which is that people wouldn't be disappointed in us..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    I never got labelled 'Dictionary' but i was often accused of swallowing/eating them
    I was accused of being a "Human Dictionary" back in year 10 or 11. I was always kind of pleased at that... I'd rather be reknowned for having a flexible vocabulary than for some of the things that the person who called me it was! Lol .

ReputationRep:
    The latter... Abseiling..

ReputationRep:
    Yes.. as you were saying a few pages back.
    I don't FEEL inclined to accept responsibility (hohoh) but I accept it by choice because it is the only way to move forward, and be truly independent (in the positive sense.. I dont mean island-style)

Naturally most people do intend to encourage and build us up. Which is almost all the more reason while it takes a while for us to identify where the pressure we're 'subconsciously' experiencing is coming from (I dont mean as a fault of.. but in relation to..) I only flag this up, because it is then that we need to make a choice not to allow ourselves to stress and panic based on this pressure, by focusing on the reality .. which is that people wouldn't be disappointed in us..
    Yeah... I guess what you're saying is that people are generally more forgiving than we allow them to be, either because we, ourselves, want to do well, and use their encouragement as a motivation to not let them down, or because we're damn cynical *******s lol :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Pedantic)
    I know about that, i often feel as if i'll be exiled if i fail at something, as everyone(except me) is so confident i'll pass.
    Oooh yes..been there! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... I guess what you're saying is that people are generally more forgiving than we allow them to be, either because we, ourselves, want to do well, and use their encouragement as a motivation to not let them down, or because we're damn cynical *******s lol :p:.
    Well.. you know what they say: We are our own worst enemies..

ReputationRep:
    The latter... Abseiling..
    Haha, woot!

On that note, my dear Craghyrax, I must be off and get some sleep tonight. It's been a long day, and I'm tired haha. It's been interesting talking to you - admittedly I find myself waaaaaaaay off-topic again, but it's definitely been interesting.

I'll catch you on here later today, probably :p:.

Good night! xxx

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.