Similar triangles Watch

This discussion is closed.
Twaffy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Please can somebody tell me how to do them, they are discombobulating me or does anyone know what they are called in the CGP books?

Thanks
Twaffy
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You just have to multiply the sides by some number to get the length of the second triangle.

For example, triangle 1 has this length: 6cm, while triangle 2 have this length: 12cm. Therefore you just have to multiply it by 2.

I think that's what you do.
Twaffy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Yes but what do you do with the xs and ys?
Thanx anyways
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Twaffy)
Yes but what do you do with the xs and ys?
Thanx anyways
I think you should type out the question or scan the question and post it up here, so we know what you mean.
Feria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Are you thinking of some form of enlargement? (transformation) if you are applying similar triangles graphically.

If you are, and you have x and y coordinates for each, you can work out the side lengths by pythagoras, ie a edge with coordinates (2,4) and (6,3) at each end, you take the change in x (in this case 4) and change in y (3) and then apply pythagoras to get the length of the side (in this case its 5)

once you have the lengths of the side, you can use the above to get a similar triangle. although if its an enlargement you'd need a center.
Mazraz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If as i understand it you are talking about mathematicailly similar triangles then the idea behind the question is to find out in what proportion the two triangles are to each other. An example: if one straight line is 5 cm long and another is 10 cm long then we can say that the second line is twice as long as the first.
Therefor if you are working out how much larger or smaller (the proportion) one triangle has to another you simply need to devide two corresponding sides by each other, find out the answer and then devide or multiply all other sides by that to work out the missing sides on the second triangle.
Ill try and give an example:
Triangle A- side x is 12 cm long. (other two sides are 5 (sidey)and 7(sidez) cm long)
Triangle B- corresponding side is 4 cm long.
Question: find the length of the corresponding sides to y and z
If we devide 12 by 4 we get 3 so we knoe that triangle A is 3 times larger than triangle B now we do the same for the other two sides: 5 devided by 3 and 7 devide by 3
i can t be bothered to get a calc but do you get my drift???
If not dont worry- its maths and therel only b a question or 2 on the paper aboput it
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1113)
78.88%
Leave (298)
21.12%

Watched Threads