Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys and gals

just 2 ask has any1 here applied to go 2 edinubrgh uni?especially from medicine? have you head anythign from them?

Also....to all ppl that know about edin/are going 2 the uni.......how is it? because when i went i fell in love with it, but is it at all anti-english? and is it any good as a uni fun-wise? we all know it has a class reputation

cheers

ReputationRep:
    HI,

I haven't ever been to Edinburgh myself but I know a friend of a friend who ending up getting a place there through clearing (she was very lucky as the grades she actually got where way below their normal entrance requirements and I doubt she would have got an offer from them if she had applied with her actual grades as predicted grades?

Shes english and from what I hear apsolutly loving it and having a great time - from what I hear there's a good mix of english and scottish people having a great time together. The uni also has a great reputation so I would go for it. ONly this she did say though is that it is more expenisve than she thought - its a bit like the scottish equivilant of London (although obviously not quite as bad)

The only thing that actually put me off from applying there myself was that for Psychology as it's in Scotland the degree would be a year longer but If your doing medicine I dunno if it makes a difference or not?Although some scottish unis let u have 2nd year entry with really good A level grades - eg As and Bs becuase Edinburghs are so high anyway thats not really possible...

But I would say go for Edinburgh if you like it there and think its right for you, It's viewed as one of the best, certainliny for Medicine.

Appologies for all the typos....rushed typing...

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ive a conditional offer to read veterinary medicine at edinburgh...its a really nice city, and the accommodation is really good especially at Pollock halls and in particular Chancellor's Court which is also run as a hotel I think in non-term time.
    I know that for vet med it is reknowned for its new Easterbush campus which is probabaly one of the best in Europe. I have friends in the 1st-3rd year of the Vet med course...and they throoughly enjoy it - all of them are english as am I!....It has a bit of a reputation for being a bit of a posh-anglo-scot area, but I dont think that that would put me off!
    Im waiting to hear from Bristol, RVC London, and Liverpool before I make a final decision though.

ReputationRep:
    heya, ive applied to edinburgh for medicine. I havent heard a thing. quite worried coz they dont often interview there for medicine which means it'll go on my gcse's amd they were only 1* 7A's 1B. how about u?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm I've applied for English there, but I haven't heard a sausage

ReputationRep:
    my sisters there and she absolutly loves it.

theres no anti english ness there, although i wouldnt go running up prnces street shouting the scotish are idiots or something coz you might get killed.

if its where you love, go for it.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh is quite a prestigious university and remember that the majority of scottish students will apply to a scottish university as they dont need to pay tuition fees. On the other hand they need english students to subsidise courses!!
    For subjects such as medicine the competition is tough anyway, and I would say (from my experience with veterinary medicine) that those they are interested will be interviewed. This is really important for nearly every university that offers medicine (apart from southampton I believe).
    All you can do is hope that you personal statement and references from your school are good enough. If you have any references from your work experience supervisors they are also good to send along as they can only support your application.
    They are also know for being late repliers!!! Again this is probably due to the number of applications they get....as I said it is a very prestigious university and a great city.

ReputationRep:
    it says on the edinburgh site that they dont often interview for medicine. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    um.....i got 10A*s and an A at gcse, AAA predicted for a-level, but no a diddly squat from them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rocksteady99)
    um.....i got 10A*s and an A at gcse, AAA predicted for a-level, but no a diddly squat from them
    Join the club. I'm so damn sick of being patient.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 22, 2003
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.