Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of studying psychology but am getting reluctant as i am starting to think that is a common sense subject that has no answers and little scientific basis. many psychology students seem to have no career direction and are doing it because it is easy and popular, what do you all think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derecho)
    I am thinking of studying psychology but am getting reluctant as i am starting to think that is a common sense subject that has no answers and little scientific basis. many psychology students seem to have no career direction and are doing it because it is easy and popular, what do you all think?
    how long is a piece of string

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of whether or not the subject has a point, a psychology degree is usually recognised as a good qualification by employers. The bottom line is, however, it IS an interesting subject and if you don't have any career direction then it's worth doing a degree simply in something that interests you... Which is possibly why most people who take psychology don't have a career direction!
    If you find studying psychology (or think you might find studying psychology) enjoyable, then it doesn't matter what other people think as you're talking about three or four years of your future here... It's definitely worth consideration!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derecho)
    How long is a 30cm ruler?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leaby)
    Regardless of whether or not the subject has a point, a psychology degree is usually recognised as a good......
    blah blah blah, you don't know how many times I've heard that. None of it's true. If it's seen as worthless, it is worthless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expredders)
    blah blah blah, you don't know how many times I've heard that. None of it's true. If it's seen as worthless, it is worthless.
    Without a doubt, and everyone knows that Psychology is totally useless. Everyone doing psychology does it because they are not intellectual enough to study more important subjects.
    All the psychologists on this site are not capable of doing more demanding subjects but i dont blame them for their genetic makeup.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me, I'm doing Psychology and without sounding arrogant with my predicted grades i could do most, if not all other subjects.

I plan to enter Clinical Psychology - which is highly competitve - and well paid after my degree so *******s to what you say, your just ignorant and/or jealous cus you can't get the (extremely high) grades that are needed to do it at the moment.

If you want to do something and your determined to succeed at it and enjoy it then GO FOR IT, no matter what anyone else says. Psychology is a great degree to have, just make sure its BPS accreditied if your looking for a career in Psychology and the Bsc's are often more highly regarded by employers than the BA's - as is the case with most other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a decent degree to have but don't get your hopes up in having a physcology related career as there is far too much competition (or so I am told by a friend of mine who has a physcology degree).

ReputationRep:
    Yep I know there is a lot of competition but I'm not letting that from stop me from trying...even if I don't get there at least I'll know I tried.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is not a micky mouse degree or subject. It is as hard if not harder than biology at A-Level. Psychology is a well-respected degree and is is just a pre-conceived notion that people have that psychology is a micky mouse subject normally inflated by the media. Anyone who does psychology realises that it is a proper subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ankur1986)
    Psychology is not a micky mouse degree or subject. It is as hard if not harder than biology at A-Level. Psychology is a well-respected degree and is is just a pre-conceived notion that people have that psychology is a micky mouse subject normally inflated by the media. Anyone who does psychology realises that it is a proper subject.
    Yeah its a really demanding subject

ReputationRep:
    i think the validity of your point lies in the fact that the general public dont see it as THAT academically challenging. Tho this does not mean it does or does not. I think it has been victim to its popularity.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is not just for thick people, that's the biggest load of crap i've heard. I got all A/A*s for GCSE and i'm doing psy A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upsetgirl)
    i think the validity of your point lies in the fact that the general public dont see it as THAT academically challenging. Tho this does not mean it does or does not. I think it has been victim to its popularity.
    Definately. hit it right on the spot. The fact that everyone takes it makes it seem like its a subject that everyone takes cos its a doss and easy.

The fact is that it is highly enjoyable to study, and has one of the lowest proportion of A grades because lots of people take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Psychology is not just for think people, that's the biggest load of crap i've heard. I got all A/A*s for GCSE and i'm doing psy A level
    I'd agree, I got A*/As at GCSE and As and Bs at AS and I've applied for psychology (and maths) at uni. Psychology is one of the most competitive degrees there is, and one of my reasons i'm doing it with maths is because this will make the grades required a lot lower.

don't diss psychology unless you do it!

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    I'd agree, I got A*/As at GCSE and As and Bs at AS and I've applied for psychology (and maths) at uni. Psychology is one of the most competitive degrees there is, and one of my reasons i'm doing it with maths is because this will make the grades required a lot lower.

don't diss psychology unless you do it!

lou xxx
    I think psych and maths is a great degree, satisying interest areas and great for a future career. I wish I had the guts to apply for a maths degree. Ive only got a level maths and although I got an A at AS I dont think Im ready for all that mechanics! Im only doing M1 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SANDIE*)
    I think psych and maths is a great degree, satisying interest areas and great for a future career. I wish I had the guts to apply for a maths degree. Ive only got a level maths and although I got an A at AS I dont think Im ready for all that mechanics! Im only doing M1 lol
    If it interests you go for it! I haven't done further maths either, and i've asked at all the unis and they said it hardly makes a difference. I haven't done any mechanics either (no problem at all) and I've got a hatred for stats (S1 was ok, but S2 is just smelly) + all the unis have said i can opt out of stats (it's normally a seperate degree anyway). that is the fabulousness of doing a joint honours- you just do the bits you like! (there are core modules, but its all pure stuff).

If you really like maths, at least look at some courses- in a joint honours you can transfer on to single honours after a year if you really don't like it.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    If it interests you go for it! I haven't done further maths either, and i've asked at all the unis and they said it hardly makes a difference. I haven't done any mechanics either (no problem at all) and I've got a hatred for stats (S1 was ok, but S2 is just smelly) + all the unis have said i can opt out of stats (it's normally a seperate degree anyway). that is the fabulousness of doing a joint honours- you just do the bits you like! (there are core modules, but its all pure stuff).

If you really like maths, at least look at some courses- in a joint honours you can transfer on to single honours after a year if you really don't like it.

lou xxx
    BA Law at Nottingham lets you have 1/3 modules outside the school of law, so hopefully Ill get an offer for that and try out some degree level pure :s

Btw, im finding S2 easier than S1 ... its basically series + sequences chapter 1 integration and differentiation of f(x) and F(X) for chapter 2, rectangles for chapter 3 ... havnt started chapter 4 looks ruff though

ReputationRep:
    for next year exeter are requireing AAA to do psychology.

if it was easy..would they need you to be that bright.

love KAty ***

(Original post by ickle_katy)
    for next year exeter are requireing AAA to do psychology.

if it was easy..would they need you to be that bright.

love KAty ***
    it's not easy but in comparison to other degrees the workload is relatively low. i think the high grades reflect the competition there is, 2nd most popular degree course after law, rather than intelliegence needed.

plus its all female, serious down point

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.