Turn on thread page Beta

Is psychology a worthless degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SANDIE*)
    I think psych and maths is a great degree, satisying interest areas and great for a future career. I wish I had the guts to apply for a maths degree. Ive only got a level maths and although I got an A at AS I dont think Im ready for all that mechanics! Im only doing M1 lol
    DON'T do maths it is COMPLETELY ****.

Do psychology or anything for that matter but NOT MATHS.

ReputationRep:
    psychology is fast becoming the fourth science. Explain to me how computerised axial tomography or magnetic resonance imagery work (without looking in a text book) and I will agree with you and say psychology is easy. Oh wait you can't. psychology is challenging and stimulating and it is only the abstract theories of psychoanalysts like freud that have given it the image it has today, Do some reading and you'll find out that far from being a worthless degree it is one of the most useful and sought after degrees to obtain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ickle_katy)
    for next year exeter are requireing AAA to do psychology.

if it was easy..would they need you to be that bright.

love KAty ***
    My best friend went there this year to do psychology through clearing with BBB, they can't hike the entry requirements up that much in a year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derecho)
    I am thinking of studying psychology but am getting reluctant as i am starting to think that is a common sense subject that has no answers and little scientific basis. many psychology students seem to have no career direction and are doing it because it is easy and popular, what do you all think?
    I know someone with a PhD in psychology. She runs her own business giving advice to other businesses on their organisational psychology. They do psychometric testing, careers advice, redundancy advice and seminars. She employs three other organisational psychologists; they charge a fortune and are extremely busy. I think she would advocate psychology as a valid academic discipline.

ReputationRep:
    I think i should also point out that you can get into liverpool to study physics with BBC/BCC whereas you need AAB/ABB for psychology. Easy it ain't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_live_4_shoes)
    I think i should also point out that you can get into liverpool to study physics with BBC/BCC whereas you need AAB/ABB for psychology. Easy it ain't!
    Not dissing Psychology because I did it at A-level and enjoyed it loads, but entrance requirements tend to reflect popularity not difficulty of the course. If a uni has lots of applicants, they can afford to discriminate and ask for higher grades, but if they don't receive as many they have to ask for lower grades to get more applicants. Hense why you often need higher grades for Psychology than Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Not dissing Psychology because I did it at A-level and enjoyed it loads, but entrance requirements tend to reflect popularity not difficulty of the course. If a uni has lots of applicants, they can afford to discriminate and ask for higher grades, but if they don't receive as many they have to ask for lower grades to get more applicants. Hense why you often need higher grades for Psychology than Physics.
    Yep thats why you shouldnt always assume a course will be difficult just due to entry requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Well said.
    Although I still don't see why people see Psychology as a 'easy' option, it may be less regarded at A level than say history or maths but then again so is something like law, as with most subjects the stuff studied at degree level will be very different from that in school. For example Economics gcse has next to no mathematical content whereas a degree is full of the stuff, I imagine that Psych is similar.

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is be no means an easy subject, nor is it a pointless one. It is a fascinating subject which goes into a lot more depth than people think. There are module of statistics and biology in good degree courses and these need to be passed before students go onto the next year.

Choosing Psychology can open many doors to many careers, and students can go on to masters, phd's and get great jobs.

People who don't study Psychology can't comment on what its like, these people are ignorant and if faced with doing a psychology degree probably aren't intelligent enough. Not that I'm saying people doing other degree's aren't clever, far from it, anyone studying for a degree is obviously smart, devoted and wil see the benefits, but these people 'dissing' Psychology are blatantly just not understanding the whole point, and probably never will.

Anyway good luck with your choice of degree, and if you do decide to pick Psychology, then I hope you enjoy it as much as I do

Gem
    x

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think psychology is a hugely important subject. After all, what affects us more than our own minds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Personally I think psychology is a hugely important subject. After all, what affects us more than our own minds?
    You are so right, I mean, if you have a Psychology degree, you will use it all the time, sometimes without being conscious of it! Just using it in general everyday situations as well as using it for a purpose! Its fab!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    After all, what affects us more than our own minds?
    But then the media, influences our minds which is in terms influenced by politics which is affected by etc etc :tsr:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expredders)
    blah blah blah, you don't know how many times I've heard that. None of it's true. If it's seen as worthless, it is worthless.
    how about Politics? While we're on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesus09)
    Without a doubt, and everyone knows that Psychology is totally useless. Everyone doing psychology does it because they are not intellectual enough to study more important subjects.
    All the psychologists on this site are not capable of doing more demanding subjects but i dont blame them for their genetic makeup.
    I was extremely offended by that. I could have done nearly whatever subject I wanted, by getting AAB at alevels, but I chose psychology. Cos it is important, there is a shortage in clinical psychologits, its interesting.
    Demanding subjects, oh whatever, you f***king geek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *SANDIE*)
    Yeah its a really demanding subject
    yes its defintaly demanding, I have to do a new assignment every fortnight, loads of presentations, practicals, coursework, exams etc... and you need alot of experience to get a job. I think its very demanding. So f**k off, whoever said it wasnt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    I was extremely offended by that. I could have done nearly whatever subject I wanted, by getting AAB at alevels, but I chose psychology. Cos it is important, there is a shortage in clinical psychologits, its interesting.
    Demanding subjects, oh whatever, you f***king geek!
    Here here, you tell them! I totally, 100% agree! People who don't study Psychology don't understand that it is really challenging, interesting and useful, and whats more, its NOT EASY!

ReputationRep:
    i got AABB for A Level in (including biology...hardly an 'easy' A Level) and 1 A* and 7A grades for GCSE so anyone saying its for people not intellectual enough to do anything else are very wron. The courses (depending on the uni) ARE tough and include two maths modules. The career prospects are good, those doing psychology whilst not knowing what they want to do with it are in luck as it is a widely recognised degree for skills that are useful in many jobs. Those who want to enter into psychology-related careers face a wide variety of jobs which can pay s**tloads. Enough of the dissing subjects, the only people who seem to be are those who have never done the subject and know very little about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_live_4_shoes)
    oh and liverpool uni is great!!!

ReputationRep:
    look at what psychologists are earning... quite a lot! i had the option of studying sports science but gave it up for psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesus09)
    Without a doubt, and everyone knows that Psychology is totally useless. Everyone doing psychology does it because they are not intellectual enough to study more important subjects.
    All the psychologists on this site are not capable of doing more demanding subjects but i dont blame them for their genetic makeup.
    Do you know what, don't even bother rising to this because thats exactly what he wants!

I think everyone can see how 'intellectual' this person is by what he's written :rolleyes:

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.